relax

Author Topic: Hate crimes after Trump election  (Read 5833 times)

Offline Egglantine

• Resident
Hate crimes after Trump election
« on: November 12, 2016, 12:18:27 PM »
I'd like to start a thread about hate crimes, actions, or related behavior that you've observed or heard about in your neighborhood. Anything that makes you feel unsafe.

Three people at the Q100 bus stop near PS 122 talking about Trump restoring "core values" after seeing young Latino boys play nearby.

A sign in a building calling for certain people to vacate, citing "the time has come for good decent white people to take back our streets" from a "Proud American Voter, Trump 2016."

A van driving down 21st St. near Astoria Park with large Trump/Pence signs and flag (in the way some people parade the Confederate flag).

Offline mm

• Council Member
Re: Hate crimes after Trump election
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 12:35:26 PM »
We should be careful with this though. Driving down the road with the US flag and a Trump/Pence sign doesn't constitute hate and even less a crime. I would say that anyone reporting anything should both properly document it and possibly also report it to the authorities.

We 'all' have smartphones with cameras now, so taking pictures or filming is the way to go about it. Then we can post it.

If we just ask for hear-say we risk making the situation far worse. There's already been one case with a woman unfortunately making up an event which just hurts everyone.

Offline Egglantine

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 12:54:51 PM »
I agree. Only the building sign in the instances above would be something reportable. However, there is a lot of behavior that falls in between that stems from the same hatred and I think should be acknowledged so other people can look out for it.

Regarding the van (it wasn't a U.S. flag but a Trump/Pence flag), it definitely made me feel unsafe so that's why I included it.

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 01:14:08 PM »
Sure. I had a black woman on the Q18 call me a cracker.Also a couple months ago some rifled a tall boy of malt liquor at me from the roof of the Woodside PJs.

Offline KellyO

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 04:17:12 PM »
Racism is obviously not cool but "hate crimes" are not going to increase because Trump was elected. That's ridiculous and fear-based. Racism sadly has always existed and the media and liberals who are upset about the election are making it look like any racist act is because of Trump. The truth is that racism has existed long before Trump and there is no uptick in racism because of Trump, despite what the media is telling you.

Racism exists all over the city. I'm a cyclist so people yell angry stuff at me all the time. I've been called "cracker", "white trash", "bitch", you name it.

The media is reporting about racist graffiti yet fails to focus on stories like the white guy that was beaten by a group of black men because he supported Trump while onlookers yelled "Don't vote trump" or the high school student who was beaten up for supporting Trump. The violence goes both ways and liberals should hold their own accountable just as much as they look out for bias crimes.

Offline mm

• Council Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 04:57:11 PM »
Racism is obviously not cool but "hate crimes" are not going to increase because Trump was elected. That's ridiculous and fear-based.

It's actually not. After Brexit hate crimes increased in the UK, and the Brexit movement just like Trump's was in part justifying it's future policies by vilifying "others", which essentially reinforces the "us versus them" concept. "We" being mostly whites, and "them" being whatever group is easiest to use as a scapegoat (i.e. mainly Mexicans and Muslims in the US).

So, not only don't you know it hasn't happened already, not only don't you know it won't happen, there's even a precedent in recent history that is relatively similar.

Racism sadly has always existed and the media and liberals who are upset about the election are making it look like any racist act is because of Trump. The truth is that racism has existed long before Trump and there is no uptick in racism because of Trump, despite what the media is telling you.

How do you know this? Did you weed through all the reports not only after the election but also before the election? Did you do a statistical analysis to see if there really was an uptick or not? You probably didn't, and are just making assumptions here.

Racism exists all over the city. I'm a cyclist so people yell angry stuff at me all the time. I've been called "cracker", "white trash", "bitch", you name it.

Ok. That's terrible. You're right, racism exists, and it existed before this campaigning. Perhaps instead of being upset that non-whites are fearful of the future and want to shine a light on hate crimes you could see this as an opportunity for all of us to make everyone aware of ALL the hate crimes that are unacceptable, including what you experienced....?

The media is reporting about racist graffiti yet fails to focus on stories like the white guy that was beaten by a group of black men because he supported Trump while onlookers yelled "Don't vote trump" or the high school student who was beaten up for supporting Trump.

No, that's untrue. The media is reporting on those two incidents.

The violence goes both ways and liberals should hold their own accountable just as much as they look out for bias crimes.

You're obviously missing the point here, and I'm guessing that you're not a liberal. The point is that Clinton didn't flirt with racist groups during the campaign. She didn't flirt with anti-white or anti-Christian sentiments to get votes, whereas Trump did do the the 'opposite'. That's the difference.

Yes, we've had racism and hate crimes for a long, long time, but now we have an upcoming leader who has fueled those flames and that's something we haven't seen in quite some time. If you don't see the difference then I completely get why you don't understand the concern that some people now have.

Offline KellyO

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 07:06:32 PM »
It's actually not. After Brexit hate crimes increased in the UK, and the Brexit movement just like Trump's was in part justifying it's future policies by vilifying "others", which essentially reinforces the "us versus them" concept. "We" being mostly whites, and "them" being whatever group is easiest to use as a scapegoat (i.e. mainly Mexicans and Muslims in the US).

So, not only don't you know it hasn't happened already, not only don't you know it won't happen, there's even a precedent in recent history that is relatively similar.

First, we are not talking about Brexit. We are talking about the US election. Also, if you dig deep at the studies on hate crimes post-Brexit you will see that they are flawed, complex, one-sided, and financed by liberal think tanks. If you look at the police reports that came out a week after Brexit you will see a rise in the number of reported hate crimes but not actual hate crimes. A crime isn't a crime if it's just reported. The police report said there was an uptick of reported hate crimes by 57% and they pulled all the data from this one source: http://www.report-it.org.uk/home.

But, hate crimes have increased in the U.K. over the years since 1998 and there is a reason for it: the definition and scope "hate crimes" in the U.K. are constantly evolving. The government is investing millions into preventing hate crimes in churches and mosques and they recently added another couple million into punishing online "trolling." In 1998, hate crimes were primarily defined by racial intolerance. In 2003, religious discrimination was added, gradually homophobic and transphobic crimes were added to the definition, and then crimes against the disabled and elderly.

So incidents and reports of hate crimes have increased primarily because the scope of the term "hate crime" has evolved.

How do you know this? Did you weed through all the reports not only after the election but also before the election? Did you do a statistical analysis to see if there really was an uptick or not? You probably didn't, and are just making assumptions here.

That's what I base my opinion on. Because I read all sources and I think about things broadly and not in black and white terms. And I don't trust everything I read. I do the science and the research myself

No, that's untrue. The media is reporting on those two incidents.

Barely. Do you read the cover of the NY Times? Do you read Rolling Stone? MSNBC? They focus primarily on racist acts by supposed Trump supporters. Some of them are true, of course. Some of them are still being investigated. Some of them are lies. Like the Muslim female student at University of Louisiana who said she was assaulted by pro-Trump supporters. She admitted it was a lie. Or like the gay man who said he was beaten up in Santa Monica by Trump supporters. Completely misleading story that may not even be true. Like the story of the KKK rally by celebrating Trump supporters: total lie. It turns out it was an old picture. A nazi flag going up over someone's house: done by a liberal trying to make a political point. I swastika with "trump" written next to it on a storefront in Philly: police pictures show a black male doing this. The two students in the South wearing blackface to celebrate Trump's victory: total lie. They were wearing facial peels that happened to be colored black.

The list goes on and on. Yes, there are racists in America. Yes, some of them are Trump supporters. But there is certainly not an epidemic of hate crimes because of the Trump victory. That is irresponsible thinking and only increases paranoia and fear. Don't take the media at face value. Do your own research please!

Offline mm

• Council Member
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 07:59:21 PM »
Do your own research please!

I did.

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 06:54:42 AM »
Excellent points KellyO!!! Hold these alarmists responsible for their careless claims and behavior. I could not agree with you more.

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 08:09:21 AM »
We should be careful with this though. Driving down the road with the US flag and a Trump/Pence sign doesn't constitute hate and even less a crime. I would say that anyone reporting anything should both properly document it and possibly also report it to the authorities.

We 'all' have smartphones with cameras now, so taking pictures or filming is the way to go about it. Then we can post it.

If we just ask for hear-say we risk making the situation far worse. There's already been one case with a woman unfortunately making up an event which just hurts everyone.

I agree with you that posting photos is a good idea.  A photo doesn't lie

Offline smiddlem

• Activist
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 09:37:06 AM »
Judging from your posts, you probably deserved it.

Sure. I had a black woman on the Q18 call me a cracker.Also a couple months ago some rifled a tall boy of malt liquor at me from the roof of the Woodside PJs.

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 10:41:50 AM »
Judging from your posts, you probably deserved it.
So you think it's okay to call people racial epitaphs and physically threaten anonymous people on the street. Is that what you are saying?

Offline mm

• Council Member
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 10:51:52 AM »
So you think it's okay to call people racial epitaphs and physically threaten anonymous people on the street. Is that what you are saying?

"epitaphs"? Pretty sure that wasn't what was said....

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2016, 10:52:39 AM »
Darn autocorrect...

Offline smiddlem

• Activist
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2016, 11:26:03 AM »
"autocorrect", "sarcasm"...you're full of excuses, aren't you?

Yes, I think that anyone who starts posting their whining, "i'm a victim", racist dog-whistle posts (malt liquor) on a thread about hate crimes post-Trump election, probably deserves every last bit of derision thrown their way.  Not to mention your poor showing here last week with your attempts to shut down dialogue and engaging in name calling.

You reap what you sow.  No sympathy here pal.

Darn autocorrect...

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life