relax

Author Topic: tufino  (Read 2383 times)

Offline moose

• Resident
tufino
« on: October 17, 2016, 11:08:00 PM »
Tufino had a sign that they had a fire and were rebuilding. 

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
Re: tufino
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 08:03:28 AM »
I wonder how long it will take them to reopen

Offline JeffE93

• Activist
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 01:04:30 PM »
What a drag!  This bit is on their homepage.

"It is with great sadness that I write Tufino suffered a fire yesterday!! Unfortunately we will be closed for awhile to rebuild. We are hopeful that we will be back up and running soon and better than ever! Thank you to our loyal customers for your support!"

I remember the fire several years ago by the Ditmars stop that wiped out the Italian Restaurant called "Thirty One"  They never recovered, sadly. Good luck to Tufino.  I like that place a lot.  I hope they come back better than ever.

Offline RayG

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 03:37:21 PM »
Well, it didn't happen yesterday. It's been shut for 2 weeks(?) or so.

Offline smiddlem

• Activist
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 04:18:13 PM »
sounds like BS to me.    I wonder what will eventually take its place?

Well, it didn't happen yesterday. It's been shut for 2 weeks(?) or so.

Offline RayG

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 09:57:59 AM »
The sign about a fire went up immediately. I didn't personally see any fire, but the windows then were a bit sooty.

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 10:17:26 AM »
The sign made it sound like it was a small fire with not much damage, but who knows how bad it really was.

Offline samgucci

• Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 10:47:24 AM »
The sign about a fire went up immediately. I didn't personally see any fire, but the windows then were a bit sooty.

I walked past the morning after. There were people there checking out the damage. Lots of water on the floor and that damp, distinct "just put out a structure fire" smell that is so awful. From the little bit I could glance in the front of the building, it didn't look destroyed but it's safe to say there was definitely damage. Even if the fire wasn't too big and was caught early, the floor was swamped.   

Offline wannabehippie

• Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 09:08:57 PM »
Anyone know how it started? I am guessing it is related to their wood fired oven, but that is purely a guess.

Offline yippee1999

• Council Member
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 02:29:55 PM »

It seems 'odd' to me that I've yet to notice any kind of repairs occurring.  I wonder if this fire was enough to take the wind out of their sails...maybe they aren't sure they have the energy/desire to repair and re-open?

What I also found very strange was....maybe two weeks ago, there was a firetruck right in front of Tufino, and a few firefighters were on the sidewalk, and they appeared to be 'checking' for something by the door just to the right of Tufino's.  No idea what was going on, and when I later walked by again, I think the truck was still there, but nothing 'urgent' seemed to be going on.  So not sure what that was all about...

Offline TJT

• Senator
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 10:44:36 AM »
I'd bet they don't reopen.  We had some very good pizza there but there was always something lacking.  Poor service or disinterested staff.  It never seemed like a well-run operation or with any passion behind it.  We never left feeling like it was a great experience.  Just a decent pizza meal.  Along similar lines, I can't believe Via Vai (around the corner) is still in business either.  Worst pizza I ever ate in Astoria.  And remember that awful place with the gaudy design up on Ditmars closer to Steinway?  It seems that pizza is a tough business on Ditmars!  Albas has a good thing going.

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 12:52:14 PM »
I'd bet they don't reopen.  We had some very good pizza there but there was always something lacking.  Poor service or disinterested staff.  It never seemed like a well-run operation or with any passion behind it.  We never left feeling like it was a great experience.  Just a decent pizza meal.  Along similar lines, I can't believe Via Vai (around the corner) is still in business either.  Worst pizza I ever ate in Astoria.  And remember that awful place with the gaudy design up on Ditmars closer to Steinway?  It seems that pizza is a tough business on Ditmars!  Albas has a good thing going.

I never ate at Via Vai.  I once saw them on the news and it made me want to go there but when I went there and saw the prices I changed my mind.

Offline wannabehippie

• Citizen
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2016, 12:38:23 PM »
They are re-opening tomorrow December 22nd.

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2016, 01:35:48 PM »
That's great!  I'm glad they were able to reopen

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life