relax

Author Topic: The Last Word on Ditmars  (Read 4161 times)

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
The Last Word on Ditmars
« on: August 22, 2016, 08:46:21 AM »
Has anyone checked out the new speakeasy on Ditmars near 33rd st? I know this genre is a little tired but I went on Friday after work and really liked it. Prices are expensive but the quality of the drinks I had was excellent. Small bites also available...

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
Re: The Last Word on Ditmars
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 11:17:19 AM »
There is another thread about this topic.  I read that people had to give their cell numbers to be called to get in because there was a long line to get in

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 11:27:59 AM »
I just saw that. I got tricked by the hardware store topic annoyingly enough :(

Offline smiddlem

• Activist
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 12:57:26 PM »
What types of small bites do they offer? 

Has anyone checked out the new speakeasy on Ditmars near 33rd st? I know this genre is a little tired but I went on Friday after work and really liked it. Prices are expensive but the quality of the drinks I had was excellent. Small bites also available...

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 01:08:22 PM »
Very limited but tasty. They have charcuterie and stuffed grape leaves and the like. Pretty good and ~ $10.

Offline TJT

• Senator
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 11:16:38 AM »
There is another thread about this topic.  I read that people had to give their cell numbers to be called to get in because there was a long line to get in
I wrote that on the other thread.   That couple was pissed and got a bad impression and won't go back.  I still have yet to try it but plan to ASAP.  Another couple I know went last night (on a Monday, which one might assume to be dead).  They first were told to come back but then were permitted in quickly.  They enjoyed the cocktails very much.  I'm not sure how I feel about waiting to get in the door of any cocktail lounge or bar (that's not a club at 1:00 AM) but I want to see this for myself because it sounds great once you get over that minor hurdle.  I would love to try their stuffed grape leaves if they're better than average (I'm a harsh critic of that dish).

Offline King of Long Island City

• Council Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 01:22:02 PM »
Sounds interesting, but like a bit of a novelty. If they are charging $13-$16 for cocktails and requiring such a process to even get in the door, they may have difficulty lasting long in Astoria, IMO.

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 01:23:32 PM »
$13 - $16 is expensive

Offline Cq

• Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 08:07:47 AM »
$13 - $16 is expensive
  That's on the low end of average for a craft cocktail these days-- it would likely be in the $20 range if this place were in Manhattan or Brooklyn.

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 08:10:08 AM »
  It's fairly average for a craft cocktail these days-- it would likely be in the $20 range if this place were in Manhattan or Brooklyn.
Sadly, this is true. The cost of drinks has doubled in the past 5 years.

• Council Member
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 09:19:22 AM »
  That's on the low end of average for a craft cocktail these days-- it would likely be in the $20 range if this place were in Manhattan or Brooklyn.

True, but this isn't Manhattan or Brooklyn. Do they have the right kind of population, and enough of it, to sustain themselves long term? I'm skeptical.

• Council Member
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 09:23:46 AM »
Don't get me wrong, this place sounds intriguing and I'm sure I'll check it out. But in order to stick around, they need a ton of people coming once in a while or a core group of people coming all the time. Given the demographics, population, and cost...I think it will be challenging.

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 09:33:05 AM »
I hear what you are saying. Front Toward Enemy tried this tactic and failed. However, I think this place fits in with a new Ditmars Blvd scene. I think they'll do well.

Offline TJT

• Senator
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2016, 12:54:08 PM »
I hear what you are saying. Front Toward Enemy tried this tactic and failed. However, I think this place fits in with a new Ditmars Blvd scene. I think they'll do well.
  I agree that a high end cocktail spot fits with the "new" Ditmars, but I might expect that by 2017 the hardware stuff comes down and an elegant sign goes up saying The Last Word and they just present themselves as classy cocktail lounge.  Things that are too cute become old fast.  And more so when space is tight and the joke is over.  I'm also excited about the new wine bar/lounge soon to open next to MP Taverna.

• Council Member
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 12:58:47 PM »
Would have been cool if it was actually a hardware store in the day, and a lounge at night.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life