relax

Author Topic: "Square Hardware"  (Read 2311 times)

Offline moose

• Resident
"Square Hardware"
« on: August 10, 2016, 02:59:26 PM »
Saw lots of people try to get into the new "Square Hardware" on Ditmars this morning.  Poor things have no idea it is supposed to be a new speakeasy cocktail bar and think it really sells hardware. 

Offline 28Grand

• Global Moderator
  • Senator
Re: "Square Hardware"
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 05:53:49 PM »
I don't usually go for gimmicks, but I love that the Square Hardware sign is back on Ditmars, even if it's meant ironically. Looking forward to giving this place a go. There's another entrance in the back through the parking lot on 33rd Street with different signage.

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 08:29:09 AM »
I saw a review for this place on the news.  It looks really nice inside

Offline TJT

• Senator
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 12:48:58 PM »
I will not form my own opinions until I try it for myself, BUT... two good friends went last night.  They said there was a crowd and the goofy factor was off the charts.  No one allowed in.  You must leave your cell phone number and they will call you when there is room and you can come in.  The wait was about an hour.  My friends were fed up and really turned off by the over-the-top fake speakeasy play acting.  I always say, if people like this place, more power to them.  For me, if it clears more room at the bar at The Ditty, then I will stick to the more conventional bars and lounges.  (I wonder if they ask all customers to walk out carrying a Square Hardware bag so they aren't raided?)

Offline RayG

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 10:18:25 AM »
Ironic, pretentious and "quirky" can't last. Looks like a total remodel of the space disguised as Four Square...

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 10:52:16 AM »
The space looks much better.  I don't know why they thought it was a good idea to make it look like a secret place with the name Square Hardware.  Maybe they felt they were getting competition from Kilo across the street which is a restaurant/bar and because of that they made the change

Offline TJT

• Senator
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 11:15:12 AM »
The space looks much better.  I don't know why they thought it was a good idea to make it look like a secret place with the name Square Hardware.  Maybe they felt they were getting competition from Kilo across the street which is a restaurant/bar and because of that they made the change
I agree.  We walked by last night and it looks classy and inviting.  I said from the start it was too over-the-top and the "hardware store" was a huge waste of space at the per sq foot cost.  I look forward to going back and am SUPER excited about the Meat House opening in a few weeks.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life