relax

Author Topic: Rules Discussion  (Read 3780 times)

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
Rules Discussion
« on: October 27, 2006, 09:57:55 AM »
[See Below]
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 08:15:08 PM by merm »

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
Re: THE RULES OF THIS BOARD
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 09:58:07 AM »
General Board Guidelines:

- This board is an open community site. Anyone and everyone is welcome here as long as you obey the rules. No member of this board speaks for all the other members. Everyone is equal, there are no cliques. To our best ability the rules are applied equally - please let us know if you've been treated unfairly.

- This isn't a random internet site. Given the nature of this online community having real world connections to a real community (Astoria & LIC) it's important to keep in mind that what happens here is not limited to the void of the internet. What you say, and how you behave here has an impact on your real community that you live in. Please treat others with the same neighborly respect you would like to receive from one of your neighbors. This isn't just a random internet site with people you'll never meet.

- This is not a "bulletin board" like the kind you see at your local grocery store, it is a community discussion and conversation board. There is a bias on the board towards "discussion" and less interest in "classifieds" and "advertisements". If you have a classified or advertisement to post it's no problem, just please do it in the business or trade categories, or post on craigslist.

Basically, please try and keep in mind that this is a public conversation and dialog just like you might have in a local cafe or bar. You might feel insulated from other people on this board because it's an electronic conversation but try and keep in mind that unlike most random internet sites, you probably live next door to the people you interact with on this board. The way you treat others here has a direct impact on the "Astoria Karma" you experience on the street. As you engage people please keep this in mind.

THE "RULES"

- Don't make it personal: If you have a problem with something someone has said, ask for clarification, or send them a private message. If you feel the need to respond publicly don't make it personal (like "hey you jerk, I'm offended"). Instead engage the person's idea and express your disagreement with it in a respectful way (I disagree with what you've said here and this is why...).

- No name calling: Don't call people names. This includes calling someone a troll. Calling people names does no service to this community and it will not be tolerated - don't do it, even if "the other person started it". If you have a problem with someone and you want to take it to the playground and duke it out do it in your own space (email, private message). If you can't behave, the moderators reserve the right to temporarily or permanently ban you.

- Hate speech is not welcome here: If you must be a bigot, you may not use hate speech to express your ideas.

- Use the "report to moderator" feature: If you find something offensive, or if someone is misbehaving or not following the board guidelines please assist the moderators by reporting that post. A message is generated that goes to the moderation queue and moderators will respond as soon as possible.

- Don't post the same thing more than once: You might think this will give you more exposure; it does, but in a negative way because this is seen as rude. Post your content once, to the correct category, people will see it and will be more likely to appreciate and respond to your post.

- Do not quote personal messages publicly: Unless you are sure the other person would be ok with it. We don't want to read your personal conversations.

- Do not troll: Trolling is when you just provoke people to make them upset by making it personal, calling them names, or posting offensive images or text to upset them. Your ideas are welcome, your personally-directed insults are not.

- Contact a moderator or admin: If you are having an ongoing problem, or feel you are being harassed by another member you can contact one of the moderators directly. We are always here to help in any way we can.

* Please provide feedback about these ideas. As this community grows the rules may need to change, please feel free to make suggestions or provide feedback as your ideas are welcome.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 08:12:49 PM by merm »

Offline jayme

• Senator
  • friends of mine
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 10:09:25 AM »
No name calling.  (Jerk!)

No assumptions of belief or intentions.  (Like OK to ask -- Are you a non-smoker?  But not OK to say -- You must be a self righteous scum sucking awful holier than though non-smoker who knows nothing about the real trauma of addiction!) 
These are pigs.
See francis's friends for kitties.

Offline sorabji

• Activist
    • http://www.sorabji.com
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 03:29:34 AM »
So many r00lz ... I would get kicked off this board so fast...  :-D

Rummaging through a mass of old floppy disks (looking for something entirely different) I found this "Welcome" message from a BBS I knew in the early 1990s. Membership was usually paid for, so those who got freebie memberships (mostly girls) got this tremulous welcome. (I never had one of the coveted freebie accounts, but those who I knew who had freebie accounts on this board are DEAD! See where it got them...  :? )

All accounts here are "complimentary" so I think this screed has resonance -- someone (probably not you) is paying for this board to be here.

Code: [Select]
  Dear [Spamhead]:

We'd like to take this opportunity to welcome you and point out a
  few details that are applicable to the use of your account.

)[> First and foremost, you should NEVER let anyone else know that you have a
    complimentary account on the system.  This tends to make those who are
    paying for you to be here, feel bad, and results in an endless cycle of
    bickering and long tirades by mail about "hey, how come he gets one and
    I don't."  WE DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT, SO BE QUIET AND DON'T RUIN A GOOD
    THING.

)[> In general: DO NOT ACT LIKE AN ASSHOLE.  This is the part where you use
    common sense.  Do not add work for us by being annoying to management,
    or paying members.  Under NO circumstances are ElYtE DuDeZ to start
    El!tE wArZ with people who have no comprehension of the underground.
    They don't know any better, if they are pissing you off, then reply
    with witty verbal repartee.  DO NOT turn off their phones or make any
    person's life turn into living hell!  This makes things REALLY annoying
    for us and will result in a total loss of good will in your direction.

While someone may indeed be an asshole, and have all their karma
    catching up to them RIGHT NOW.  DO NOT hassle people who are members
    here, because then WE get to hear all about it and have to hold their
    hand and comfort them.  And we have a lot of other things we'd rather
    be doing.

Conversely if you help make things  flow  smoothly,  post  cool  stuff,  and
  generally  act in accordance with system harmony -- then everything is cool,
  life is good, and you are made to feel at home here.  Which is as it  should
  be.

There really aren't any rules,  just try to be decent to each other.

This entire missive  has  been  written  in  anticipation  of  the  combined
  elYtNeSZ  of this BBS pushing the limits of peaceful coexistence by gathering
  together every elite dude on earth and allowing them to  congregate  in  one
  place  --  with the almost assured result of:  "He called me a lame loser in
  1984 and stole my drugZ at last year's SummerCon.  I  thought  disconnecting
  his  dog,  infecting  his  toaster  with  a polymorphic virus and making the
  computer spontaneously decombust, was a  reasonable  response  to  that.   I
  don't see your problem?"

As a  wise black  man once  said to me  on a street corner:  Peace out  bro'

On behalf of System

Offline erpotown

• Mayor
  • Hello
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 10:02:08 AM »
THE RULES

- Don't make it personal: If you have a problem with something someone has said, ask for clarification, or send them a private message. If you feel the need to respond publicly don't make it personal (like "hey you jerk, I'm offended"). Instead engage the person's idea and express your disagreement with it in a respectful way (I disagree with what you've said here and this is why...).

- No name calling: Don't call people names. This includes calling someone a troll. Calling someone a troll makes you a troll - don't do it. If you have a problem with someone and you want to take it to the playground and duke it out do it in your own space (email, private message).

- Contact a moderator or admin if you are having an ongoing problem, or feel you are being harassed by another member. We are always here to help in any way we can.

* Please provide feedback about these ideas. As this community grows the rules may need to change, please feel free to make suggestions or provide feedback as your ideas are welcome.

Thank you for posting this Merm. I could have used some of these tips last week during the whole smoker vs. non-smoker fiasco that I unintentionally started last week. I was wondering if there was a readily available list of moderators/admins for board users to access as needed. Thank you.

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 12:41:11 PM »
No problem. I think of it as a work in progress. Any of us mods are totally open to suggestions on clarifying, adding, or removing guidelines for the board.

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 12:50:35 PM »
Also, it's helpful to remember that your actions/words here can reflect either well or badly on you.  We all have choices as to what we say, and time to reflect on our responses because it's written not spoken.

I don't know if it falls under the category of trolling, but please don't egg on a fight if it sprouts up here.  You'll appear tedious at best and annoying at most.

"Just try to be decent to each other." pretty much says it all as I see it.

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 02:39:40 PM »
No problem. I think of it as a work in progress. Any of us mods are totally open to suggestions on clarifying, adding, or removing guidelines for the board.

Bump.

I guess I'm a little confused here.  If the rules of this board are disregarded, are they just mere guidelines on how we wish to treat each other on this board?  I'm ok with that, but in light of recent events, perhaps a clarification on when someone crosses the line would be helpful?  Are there consequences?  I do think of it as a work in progress as well, and have no easy answers, but I guess I'm just curious.

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 02:48:26 PM »
daisy brings up a good point.

I think a natural consequence that will happen is that those who are nasty and unreasonable to others on the board will just not be taken seriously in the future, which in effect makes their message null and void.  I mean, who wants to listen to someone go on and on about how stupid you are?  Or how you don't care enough?  There are a number of people I've encountered in my life - both on board and in the real world - that I just can't take seriously anymore because of their unfortunate behavior. 

Offline merm

• Administrator
  • Governor
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 09:23:11 PM »
Good point Daisy.

We pretty much operate on a case by case basis. If someone is particularly rude we'll give a warning, if it keeps up we'll issue a temporary ban for X days.

Nobody yet has been permanently banned, though we're not against doing that. The "rules" are just guidelines, but the reality is that if someone makes a real jerk of themselves they can expect to be temporarily banned from posting.

Offline ellieworm

• Senator
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 12:24:01 AM »
I have tried to read your codes but even with reading glasses and a magnifying glass, I cannot. Now I know who wrote the Lords Prayer on the head of a pin. I will just assume if I say something like &^^%^%$#$$ or call someone a rotten #$@#%##@ or tell somebody to go #^%$# then I'll get kicked off. But of course I would never do that. WTF?    :evil:

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life