relax

Author Topic: Cherry Valley Marketplace  (Read 3308 times)

Offline wannabehippie

• Citizen
Cherry Valley Marketplace
« on: June 19, 2016, 09:01:22 PM »
A former Associated Supermarket on 21st Ave and 21st street in Astoria has been remodeled and is becoming a Cherry Valley Marketplace.  Inside looks real nice now, new registers, fresher produce. 
The former Associated would have terrible produce, dated milk on the shelves. 

Let's hope that this trend continues. That part of Astoria needs a good quality supermarket.

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
Re: Cherry Valley Marketplace
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 08:05:53 AM »
It's also more expensive than Key Food

Offline TJT

• Senator
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 10:55:08 AM »
A former Associated Supermarket on 21st Ave and 21st street in Astoria has been remodeled and is becoming a Cherry Valley Marketplace.  Inside looks real nice now, new registers, fresher produce. 
The former Associated would have terrible produce, dated milk on the shelves. 

Let's hope that this trend continues. That part of Astoria needs a good quality supermarket.

Agreed.  I hope it does continue.  The City Fresh on 21st and Broadway is also a huge improvement.  I like shopping at the C-Town Farmers Market on Newtown near 21st.  The C-Town International Market that took over for Bravo also looks nice.  The Mi Tierra market is also intriguing.  The Associated/Key Food/Trade Fair model is just old and tired.  Never a good experience.  I'm also a huge fan of Manavi on 31st, but they're not so big.  Since we no longer have a car, we don't go to Best Yet anymore but friends tell us it went downhill.

Offline funambules

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 01:39:54 PM »
I agree that the City Fresh market (formerly Associated) on 21st & Broadway is a big improvement. It's cleaner, with wider aisles and a somewhat improved selection (produce isn't always in great shape, for example). The 24 hour schedule is also a plus. However, their prices are getting ridiculous. It seems like every time I shop there, something I bought a few weeks ago is now $.50-$1.00 more. I've actually found it cheaper to get certain things from Fresh Direct and Whole Foods.

Offline wannabehippie

• Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 09:36:58 PM »
Agreed.  I hope it does continue.  The City Fresh on 21st and Broadway is also a huge improvement.  I like shopping at the C-Town Farmers Market on Newtown near 21st.  The C-Town International Market that took over for Bravo also looks nice.  The Mi Tierra market is also intriguing.  The Associated/Key Food/Trade Fair model is just old and tired.  Never a good experience.  I'm also a huge fan of Manavi on 31st, but they're not so big.  Since we no longer have a car, we don't go to Best Yet anymore but friends tell us it went downhill.

The Best Market (no longer called best yet) on 20th ave and 37th is still pretty good.  Store was renovated recently, bigger aisles, new refrigerators.

Offline TJT

• Senator
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 10:46:21 AM »
The Best Market (no longer called best yet) on 20th ave and 37th is still pretty good.  Store was renovated recently, bigger aisles, new refrigerators.

Nice to hear that.  I forgot to mention another favorite of mine is the California Market on 31st near Ditmars.  They have a reliable seafood counter there.

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 10:52:38 AM »

Offline JeffE93

• Activist
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 04:36:37 PM »
Agreed on Best Yet.  It's the Best Yet!  Also love the Fish Market at California Farmer's Market.  What used to be Astoria Fishery on 31st Street just North of 23rd Avenue has relocated to the California Farmer's Market.  The owner of the building on 31st street wanted them out.  Thankfully, they were able to salvage the business.

Offline TJT

• Senator
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 05:55:49 PM »
Also love the Fish Market at California Farmer's Market.  What used to be Astoria Fishery on 31st Street just North of 23rd Avenue has relocated to the California Farmer's Market.  The owner of the building on 31st street wanted them out.  Thankfully, they were able to salvage the business.
Yet is still seems to be there with a sign on the window for months saying they're moving to California Market, no?  I think the setup in California is cleaner and with better refrigeration.  The old location near 23rd stunk and they were overpriced for seafood that was not superior.

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 08:06:12 AM »
Anyone know if Luna Grill has opened yet at the Marketplace. It seems like it's been pending for quite a long time.
What marketplace are you talking about? I never heard of Luna grill

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life