relax

Author Topic: Flattops  (Read 9789 times)

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
Flattops
« on: May 09, 2016, 08:18:20 AM »
I saw they put up the sign for Flattops on Ditmars.  This used to be the Sushi place.  I think this is supposed to be the place with burgers and pinball machines.  I have a feeling this will be a fun place.  I wonder when it will be open.

Offline C-J

• Senator
Re: Flattops
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 10:28:20 AM »

Offline RayG

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 12:11:37 PM »
sigh... why does it need a 'gimmick'?

Offline JeffE93

• Activist
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 01:08:50 PM »
Knowing these guys, it will probably cost twelve dollars to play a game of pinball.

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 01:10:18 PM »
Knowing these guys, it will probably cost twelve dollars to play a game of pinball.

If that's the case, there won't be many pinball machine players.  I'm not paying $12 that's for sure.  I'm wondering how they will fit so many pinball machines in that small space

Offline mm

• Council Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 04:50:38 PM »
sigh... why does it need a 'gimmick'?

'cause it's cool and hip. $10 pancakes.... pinball and hamburgers.... it all makes sense homey. Stop being a reactionary luddite already!

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 02:24:44 PM »
They are really working hard in this place.  They now have red chairs and some very interesting artwork on the walls surrounded by neon lights.  It looks like it will open soon.  I'm looking forward to it.  Something different on Ditmars

Offline LaoWombat

• Activist
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 10:35:09 PM »
I've been looking forward to an aircraft carrier themed restaurant for years.  I can't wait to wave off an approaching waitress.
Zen signature below

Offline RayG

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 10:25:27 AM »
Pretty small space.. take up several seats with Video games (not all pinball) and the "bar", and you have the makings of having to charge a LOT of money to make up for the lack of seating.

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 08:11:47 AM »
I walked past Flattops last night and every seat was filled.  I couldn't even get inside to get a menu.  They had some nice music playing.  I think this place will be popular.  I hope the food is good.  I'll be trying it soon.

Offline smiddlem

• Activist
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 01:13:18 PM »
I passed by last night also.  It was SO PACKED - it looked as though everyone was seated at one long table.  The food looked good though, looking forward to trying it once the hype dies down.

I walked past Flattops last night and every seat was filled.  I couldn't even get inside to get a menu.  They had some nice music playing.  I think this place will be popular.  I hope the food is good.  I'll be trying it soon.

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2016, 08:06:08 AM »
I went in to ask them for a menu and the guy told me they didn't officially open yet and that they had a soft opening.  He wasn't very friendly

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2016, 10:52:17 AM »
I went in to ask them for a menu and the guy told me they didn't officially open yet and that they had a soft opening.  He wasn't very friendly
An unfriendly hipster transplant...thats weird /s

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2016, 11:15:24 AM »

It was weird.  A guy was sitting in the restaurant and I walked in and asked for a menu and he looked at me like I was bothering him and told me that they didn't open yet.  I turned around and walked right out.  They should treat potential customers nicer than that

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2016, 11:19:28 AM »
Sounds about right. Clearly your beard is not up to snuff.

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2016, 11:24:37 AM »
Sounds about right. Clearly your beard is not up to snuff.

I don't have a beard lol.  I'm a female

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2016, 01:16:43 PM »
I don't have a beard lol.  I'm a female
So was my second grade teacher...didn't stop her :P

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2016, 08:09:50 AM »
 :laugh:

Offline JeffE93

• Activist
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2016, 12:11:09 PM »

Hopefully they will have ample unicycle parking.

Offline RayG

• Mayor
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2016, 12:48:19 PM »
Didn't see a hatstand, either...

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2016, 08:25:29 AM »
They were closed yesterday.  There was a sign that said it was because of the anniversary of Biggie's death... that's nuts

Offline RayG

• Mayor
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2016, 09:46:20 AM »
They were closed yesterday.  There was a sign that said it was because of the anniversary of Biggie's death... that's nuts

Being ironic...

Offline mm

• Council Member
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2016, 10:00:13 AM »
lol

Offline C-J

• Senator
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2016, 02:20:48 PM »
Went by last night around 9:00 pm and they were closed - no sign announcing any observance of a dead rappers passing or anything...

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2016, 08:32:44 AM »
I was looking forward to trying this place for lunch but it appears they are only open for dinner now.  There is a strange sign in the window that says Google says their hours are from 5-10 so they guess that's what their hours are.  I'm still looking forward to having lunch there when they ever open for lunch.

Offline 28Grand

• Global Moderator
  • Senator
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2016, 10:41:28 AM »
Their hours seem odd. They were closed a couple of days last week at least when I passed by in the evening, 8 or 9pm-ish. It's been busy other times I've passed by.

I haven't been in yet but would like to try it out. I'm embarrassed to admit I'm reluctant to because the music is really, really loud. Their sign says "cold drinks, hot grill and fat beats" so at least there's a forewarning. But the volume level on the sidewalk was really booming between the beats and diners screaming to hear each other. I can't imagine what it's like inside. I like lively but wow.

Offline TJT

• Senator
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2016, 10:58:31 AM »
Their hours seem odd. They were closed a couple of days last week at least when I passed by in the evening, 8 or 9pm-ish. It's been busy other times I've passed by.

I haven't been in yet but would like to try it out. I'm embarrassed to admit I'm reluctant to because the music is really, really loud. Their sign says "cold drinks, hot grill and fat beats" so at least there's a forewarning. But the volume level on the sidewalk was really booming between the beats and diners screaming to hear each other. I can't imagine what it's like inside. I like lively but wow.

We walked by one day when a restaurant would normally be open.  There was a sign on the door saying that they open when they feel like it - or some such thing.  Not kidding - and nor were they.  From everything we've seen and heard, these people are going out of their way to project a goofy image in hopes to attract a certain clientele.  Like you said about enjoying a lively atmosphere, I am known for good humor, but this is just plain stupid.  They seem like fools and we'll see how long it lasts.  The only plus side to this is that I'd take comfort in knowing that fans of this kind of nonsense will be there, and not elsewhere.

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2016, 04:09:36 PM »

That's a total turnoff for me, but I've always had a hard time with really loud sounds/music. But I'm leaving town anyway for the foreseeable future, and don't expect to have a need to eat there anyway. As an aside: if they music is blaring, I wonder how that's affecting the folks living above the restaurant.

Offline 28Grand

• Global Moderator
  • Senator
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2016, 05:36:02 PM »
That's a total turnoff for me, but I've always had a hard time with really loud sounds/music. But I'm leaving town anyway for the foreseeable future, and don't expect to have a need to eat there anyway. As an aside: if they music is blaring, I wonder how that's affecting the folks living above the restaurant.

MegC! Where are you off to? How long have you lived in Astoria? Seems like you'd become a fixture. I'm very sorry to see you go.

Good luck to Flatopps. They must have deep pockets to be able to be able to afford to open when they please. I'd be pissed though if I made the trip when they were taking a siesta but maybe that's part of the business plan.

To be fair, Flattopps is only one of many places that have opened recently and are very noisy. The people living on Ditmars are not happy I know. I've heard complaints about Two Lizards, The Pomeroy and The Ditty in particular.

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2016, 08:34:25 AM »
MegC! Where are you off to? How long have you lived in Astoria? Seems like you'd become a fixture. I'm very sorry to see you go.

Thanks, 28Grand. I'm leaving for Portland, OR! I'm originally from the west coast, and it's time to go back.

I've been in Astoria since summer 2005 (I've lived in NY State since 2001), and I've spent over a decade in the Ditmars area; my boyfriend has been here since 1996, I believe (we're moving together). I'll miss many things about Astoria but I'm also excited about what's to come. We'll bid adieu to the neighborhood on Saturday, and fly away west.

Offline RayG

• Mayor
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2016, 10:17:36 AM »
Sign on door this AM said "We will be open Wednesday @ 5PM"

Don't know if they're being ironic or what....

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2016, 11:44:18 AM »
They are very ironic.  They act like they think they are being cute, but it's obnoxious to me.

Offline RayG

• Mayor
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2016, 11:52:04 AM »
If they put that sign up that says "We'll open around 5, or whenever we feel like", We could put up a sign that says:

"We'll show up when you grow up and be serious about running a business, if that's what it is"

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2016, 12:46:23 PM »
Ray G that sounds like a good idea.  The way they are running this business is very childish

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2016, 01:08:04 PM »
This place just caters to a newer subset of the neighborhood that lives in Astoria now. They are into all this pretentious garbage. Let them have it, most of their clientele will be back home in Ohio, Florida, Texas in no time.

Offline King of Long Island City

• Council Member
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2016, 01:14:18 PM »
This place just caters to a newer subset of the neighborhood that lives in Astoria now. They are into all this pretentious garbage. Let them have it, most of their clientele will be back home in Ohio, Florida, Texas in no time.

get off my lawn!!!!

Offline RayG

• Mayor
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2016, 09:59:41 AM »
didn't notice on Wednesday if they opened at 5 or not. But they sure weren't open yesterday at 5 and looked even less "open" on the inside than they have recently.

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2016, 10:27:03 AM »
I was really looking forward to this place opening, but when I hear things like they don't open at the time posted on the door it makes me wonder how serious they are about running their business.  I'm still waiting for them to have lunch hours.  Maybe that will never happen.

Offline TJT

• Senator
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2016, 10:59:39 AM »
I was really looking forward to this place opening, but when I hear things like they don't open at the time posted on the door it makes me wonder how serious they are about running their business.  I'm still waiting for them to have lunch hours.  Maybe that will never happen.

Lunch?  Don't get your hopes up.  I was getting a haircut across the street yesterday (a Tuesday) - maybe 7:00 pm or so.  I noticed they were closed.  This place is someone's hobby.  Not a business.  Good news is that I heard the cocktail lounge that will soon open where CafĂ© Bene was is shaping up very nicely.

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2016, 03:35:08 PM »
Well if they keep doing what they're doing maybe they won't be open for long

Offline beansiegal

• Citizen
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2017, 01:36:47 PM »
I've tried it a few times and both times I was underwhelmed.  It's no Queens Comfort, that's for sure. 

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2017, 08:15:10 AM »
I think they're trying to make this into a club with a dj.  I see signs all over the place.  It's not for me

Offline smiddlem

• Activist
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2017, 10:34:28 AM »

Bad music and even worse food...not for me either Brauno.

I think they're trying to make this into a club with a dj.  I see signs all over the place.  It's not for me

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2017, 01:03:37 PM »
I think it is very obnoxious of them to post so many flyers all over the place on Ditmars.  Maybe if they keep it up they will get a fine from Dept. of Sanitation :huh:

Offline BoredTemp

• Running for Mayor
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2017, 09:29:09 PM »
Tried to check it out last week,   but the cloud of vape made it impossible.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life