relax

Author Topic: Random Turtles  (Read 1462 times)

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
Random Turtles
« on: January 02, 2016, 02:01:31 PM »

Starting off the new year Randomly:

I bought a packet of Turtles on post-Christmas sale and looked up the history of the company.  This bio contains some interesting commentary on what life was like for women 100 years ago.

http://www.demetscandy.com/demets/half-a-century-in-food-service/

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
Re: Random Turtles
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 05:00:51 PM »
Since we're talking about random turtles, did you know that there is a turtle that lives in the fountain/pond on the corner of 28th Street and Ditmars? Every once in a while I catch him as he pops his head up above the water's surface. So cute!

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 06:50:20 PM »
I didn't know, and I'm glad you told me.  Is the fountain/pond something the turtle might be able to stay in when the weather gets cold?  Otherwise I'll have to wait till spring to go see it.  Which corner is the turtle corner?

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 08:42:22 PM »
I didn't know, and I'm glad you told me.  Is the fountain/pond something the turtle might be able to stay in when the weather gets cold?  Otherwise I'll have to wait till spring to go see it.  Which corner is the turtle corner?

I'm not sure what they will do with the turtle; the fish stay in there all winter so perhaps it's heated somewhat. The fountain/pond is on the southeast corner of the intersection. The guys that live there have made that corner a lovely little spot. Their landscaping work is really nice and lots of neighbors love stopping by to see the fish, and the flowers that bloom each year. Their light displays for Halloween and Christmas are awesome, too.

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 12:40:57 AM »

It's turtle season!  I've made a note of the location so I'll get over to the Astoria turtle.

Offline aldo

• Citizen

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 04:38:25 PM »
Heartwarming story for a cold winter's day  :smiley:

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life