relax

Author Topic: Ilegal Avians !!!  (Read 4409 times)

Offline Simplymei

• Citizen
Ilegal Avians !!!
« on: June 11, 2015, 01:01:10 PM »
FYI - I'm saying it here first.  We have company in Astoria.  Have you seen them?  It's the Quaker/Monk Parrots.  :tongue:   I find it exciting. For those who don't know about them, they been around for ages in sections of Bklyn (Bklyn college campus; Greenwood Cemetary to name a few); JFK area and, well basically all over.  They are tough parrots and now making their home in Astoria !  You can Google it to read up on them.

As a person who likes all birds (pigeons included), I started hearing their sounds late January walking to catch the train in the morning. Finally I got to witness them carrying nesting materials (twigs, branches,etc.,).  So my thoughts were confirmed.  Their nests are getting larger ~ there are two of them now.

Why they choose a certain spot for their home remains a mystery.  Do they actually think Astoria has cheaper renting space?

(Pls be kind to our Planet Earth and all its habitats and creatures)

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
Re: Ilegal Avians !!!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 01:51:25 PM »
I just did a search to see what this bird looks like and I think I saw 2 of these last year.  I was walking down the street on Ditmars Blvd. and looked up and saw them sitting on the telephone wire.  Then they flew off and I was amazed.  I thought that they must have been birds who escaped from their cage.  I hope I see them again.

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 01:52:34 PM »
I wonder if they have any nests in Astoria Park

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 09:47:26 PM »
Wow, they are cute!  I'd never heard of them before.  They come in green, blue, yellow, and white.  What colors have been seen here in Astoria, and where?

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 07:59:16 AM »
I saw green ones last year

Offline Simplymei

• Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 10:06:15 AM »
Starwind: Your traditional "green" colored parrot is in the Ditmars area.  If you pay attention you will "hear" their squawk during the morning/early evening hours.

Braun: Don't know if any of the quakers/monk have nestled in Astoria Park and I really should make time and go out there (its been quite some time since my last visit there).

[/size]While there I would love to catch a glimpse of any Redtail Hawk(s), esp by the Hell Gate's Bridge [size=78%] :wink: [/size][size=78%] [/size]
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%](Pls be kind to our Planet Earth and all its habitats and creatures)[/size]

Offline RayG

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 10:39:56 AM »
I thought I heard the squawks this AM up on or near the Amtrak Viaduct around 36th, 37th Street. Certainly not Pigeon noises or the usual tweets of "normal" birds and crows.

Offline Oodus

• Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 11:08:30 AM »
I'm an amateur birder and I would love to spot these guys.  I think I did once: saw it prying a thick blade of grass jutting out from the sidewalk and fly away.  Thought it was an escaped parakeet but it matches the pics provided.

I would love to spot it again.  I want to see a "rare" category on my birdwatching app.

Offline Simplymei

• Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 11:31:41 AM »
Oodus?  as in the "owl"  ?

Offline Simplymei

• Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 11:33:39 AM »
RayG :   yep  :wink:

Offline litza

• Activist
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 01:13:02 PM »
Thanks for the tip!! Where were they nesting (unless you'd prefer to keep that under wraps). Last fall I saw several of them up on the Amtrak viaduct near 35th Street, and on surrounding trees. Saw them there on multiple occasions, so maybe they were roosting? I've also seen larger flocks of them in other parts of Queens. So much fun to spot!

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 04:38:56 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWcotG59HxQ

and stick around for the eagle afterward!

Offline RayG

• Mayor
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 05:03:10 PM »
Just heard some squaks. Looked up and saw them in the trees in front of building on 42nd at 23rd Avenue

Offline johnny4evah!

• Senator
  • He was such a nice boy from Queens
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 12:58:08 PM »
I guess the rents got too high for them in Brooklyn. I overheard the pigeons grumbling about those damned hipster birds invading Astoria.

Someone should take a picture of these elusive cuties and post it.

Offline Oodus

• Citizen
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 03:37:24 PM »
Spotted one!  By the Amtrak viaduct on 37th street.  It was way up there, but it was squawking and shuffling back and forth a bunch.

Offline Simplymei

• Citizen
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2015, 12:02:03 PM »
Oodus ~ ssssh  :wink:   There are two (2) nests on each end of viaduct.  Sssssh (I'm keeping tabs on them).  They love peanuts!

(Please be kind to our Planet Earth and all its habitats and creatures)

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2016, 08:46:27 AM »
I was walking on Steinway near the train tressle this weekend and heard these birds squawking.  I looked up and saw a bunch of them in a tree.  Then I saw one on top of the train tressle.  I think that's where the nest is. 

Offline Simplymei

• Citizen
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2016, 11:55:32 AM »
 :tongue: Hiya Braun ~  whereabouts on Steinway?  I've not heard them in that area yet?  Since my last posting, it appears there are making homes in the sections of 23rd Ave; Ditmars; parts of 30th Ave and, now base on your finding, the Steinway area.  Keep me posted! 

(Please be kind of our Planet Earth and all its habitats and creatures)

Offline Demetra

• Citizen
  • Astorian since '77
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2016, 12:15:51 PM »
I had a whole flock of them in front of my home on Ditmars and 38th this past September.. They are beautiful... I'm anxiously awaiting their return. 

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2016, 03:08:34 PM »
:tongue: Hiya Braun ~  whereabouts on Steinway?  I've not heard them in that area yet?  Since my last posting, it appears there are making homes in the sections of 23rd Ave; Ditmars; parts of 30th Ave and, now base on your finding, the Steinway area.  Keep me posted! 

(Please be kind of our Planet Earth and all its habitats and creatures)
It was about a block from the amtrak train tressel.  They were flying from the tressel to a tree on Steinway and maybe 24th Ave

Offline cat_gio

• Resident
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2016, 11:04:16 PM »
I spot them all the time near the Q69 bus stop on Hazen

Offline Simplymei

• Citizen
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2016, 09:42:04 AM »
I spot them all the time near the Q69 bus stop on Hazen
Thanks cat_gio ~ my list grows  :grin:   C'iao for now ~ peace out!

Offline Simplymei

• Citizen
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2017, 12:49:51 PM »
Greetings folks ~  :cool:

With all this gusty, high winds still continuing as I type this, just wanted add that the flock is growing and witness a gang of them (at least 10-15) hanging out on a tree right across the street from the Amtrak viaduct in my area early this morning as I was walking/struggling to get to the train station.  I made it a point to look up to make sure their nest was still up there intact.  From what I could tell, it still was .. whew.

Peace out ~ c'iao for now ~

**Pls remember to be kind to our Planet Earth and all its habitats and creatures **

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life