relax

Linked Events

• Gay Wednesdays at Bungalow!: October 18, 2006

Author Topic: It's Weds! Get over the Hump at Bungalo!  (Read 10002 times)

Offline JoePocky

• Activist
  • www.JoeSaidSo.com
    • JoeSaidSo.com
It's Weds! Get over the Hump at Bungalo!
« on: October 18, 2006, 10:47:43 AM »
HUMP Wednesdays at Bungalo in Astoria :)

32-03 Broadway, (btw 32 and 33rd street, just 1 block from the Broadway N train)
9pm- closing

Trendy Neighborhood Bar & Lounge
Gay, lesbian, and anything inbetween with a house DJ spinning favorites all night long. Minutes from midtown, in the heart of Astoria.

Great drink specials:  $2 specialty shots, $3 Bud Light Bottles, $4 Chardonnay, and $5 Vodka Mixed Drinks
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 08:25:27 PM by JoePocky »
I believe I was a Japanese school girl in a past life.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
Yay Project Runway! 

artstar

Oh my gosh!  I'm so excited for the finale!   :lol:

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
who do people think is going to win?  SPOILER alert - what'd you think of the last episode?  I was (and am still) so angry I could spit.

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
Yay Project Runway! 
Are you kidding? If I want attitude, from what I've read here, I'll simply go to the Key Food on 31st Street.
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! â€”Eleanor Roosevelt

artstar

who do people think is going to win?  SPOILER alert - what'd you think of the last episode?  I was (and am still) so angry I could spit.

Ah!  I just tried to restart the "Non-News TV" thread to discuss this.  I want Laura to win but I think Jeffrey will win.  Michael has been the favorite for so long but his collection seems to be treading into Kayne territory.

Offline schmennifer

• Campaigning for Council
For me, it's not about the attitude, it's about the designs and what they can do with so little time. I've been hating the extra forced drama this season.

mcdirk, I think it's between Jeffrey and Uli. I wasn't a fan of either this whole season, but I love their final collections.

I'm not particularly angry about last week's episode. I think Laura did the right thing to speak her mind sooner rather than later. I also don't think Jeffrey cheated and he shouldn't have anything to worry about. It was just edited for the drama. I read somewhere that Jeffrey went over to Laura's place to watch the reunion episode with her, so it's not like things ended badly between them.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
Schmennifer - I hope you're right.  I think she had a right to raise the issues, I just don't think she handled it properly.  Go to him first, and from the editing, they made her look so hostile to him.  I'd actually disliked Jeffrey until the next to the last episode and had been rooting for Laura, but their actions/reactions turned me around at this point. 

Artstart - I think Uli and Jeff seem to have really strong collections - I can't wait to see how they it all turns out.  There are things about all four of them I like, I'm don't really dislike any of them, though I think Laura handled this in a bad way (at least from the way it got edited - I suspect Bravo is just feeding the flames to get ratings).

NYCMacuser - the Key Food is good for attitude, but no one gets voted out!  If they would vote out the worst cashier each week, I'd be more excited (especially if they said something witty, "In grocery store, one week you are employed, and one week you are out....."   anything along those lines would do it for me.

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
Hell, they're only using the Project Runway Finale as a lead-in to the new season of Top Chef. Now there's a show I can really, pardon the expression, sink my teeth into!  :-P
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! â€”Eleanor Roosevelt

flooz

i love jeffrey's stuff. since day one he's rocked my socks off. i liked michael for a minute but yeah i agree he's going down the kayne highway to glamville. i haven't seen the runway looks for the finale other then the sneak peeks last week so i'm not sure if my vote will sway, but for now i want jeffrey (horrible neck tattoo) to win!!!

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
I can't wait for the next season of America's Top Chef, though Dave was ROBBED last season, robbed I tell you.  I tried to like Tiffany when watching them over, and I just can't warm to her.

Jeffrey's neck tattoo is very odd - what was he thinking?  I don't think it's very attractive and he's generally a handsome man.  I like Uli, though I'm routing for Jeffrey.  When they told her story of coming from East Germany, I think it helped give some insight into her background and made me like her style more.  Michael has been great all season, but youch, his current collection looks pretty weird from what they've shown.  Laura's looks seem nice, but very similar to what she's been doing.  Where in NYC is her loft?

artstar

Jeffrey's neck tattoo is very odd - what was he thinking?  I don't think it's very attractive and he's generally a handsome man.

I think the weirdest thing about Jeffrey's tattoos is that when he has his  shirt off it seems like he only has tattoos on his neck and hand.  Aren't these usually the last places people get tattooed after they've covered the major real estate?  It's like he only got them to show that he will never have a normal job.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
It does seem a weird place to get them.  Tattos can be very attractive and commonplace these days, but he got really odd ones and in unusual locations.  It does seem odd.

flooz

also the fact that he's got the neck of a lineman doesn't add to the attractiveness of it either! i'm all for ink and alot of it, but his is a bit ....off?

artstar

also the fact that he's got the neck of a lineman doesn't add to the attractiveness of it either! i'm all for ink and alot of it, but his is a bit ....off?

Does he really have a big neck or is it an optical illusion?  I can never figure it out!  In any case the pack of rat tails in the back of his head is threatening to become more disgusting than the neck tattoo. 

In any case, I'm just glad Laura put on some baby weight so she can stop flashing her cleavicle (clavicle cleavage) in every episode.

flooz

In any case, I'm just glad Laura put on some baby weight so she can stop flashing her cleavicle (clavicle cleavage) in every episode.

:-o :-o :-o
i knew there had to be a name for it! i hate that stuff.... (tori spelling anyone?)

Offline Jtrane

• Governor
    • http://www.joshirvingjazz.com
:-o :-o :-o
i knew there had to be a name for it! i hate that stuff.... (tori spelling anyone?)

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :killme:
Trying is the first step to failure - Homer Simpson
www.joshirvingjazz.com
www.myspace.com/joshirving

Offline mirki2

• Senator
    • mirichronicles
Schmennifer - I hope you're right.  I think she had a right to raise the issues, I just don't think she handled it properly.  Go to him first, and from the editing, they made her look so hostile to him.  I'd actually disliked Jeffrey until the next to the last episode and had been rooting for Laura, but their actions/reactions turned me around at this point. 

I was reading the project runway blogs right away after the last show....I had to know if there was even anything at all behind Laura's accusation...

so  Rumor has it that Jeffrey's Mom and Laura's Mom buddied up after the family member episode, that Jeffrey's Mom then told Laura's Mom that Tim had told Jeff to get cracking since he had so much work ahead of him when Tim had been to visit, that Laura's Mom then tol Laura, and last but not least that of course Laura put 2 and 2 together...

as for who I want to see win, I hope Uli wins. She really impressed me with how she made something that wasn't just the dress again and again :)
seek peace and pursue it.

RZ

Re: It's Weds! Get over the Hump at Bungalo!
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2006, 03:02:10 PM »
I have to say- I have been to this event and it is awesome---the only thing missing are the Astorians!!  When Out Astoria started everyone was a-buzz about needing a bar night, so where are you guys!!

There are amazing drink specials and good music.  They are also open to suggestions- as they are all about us making this night our own....so bring your ass down tonight and if you cant then plan for it next weekend.

See you there!

Offline LHT

• Mayor
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2006, 05:11:13 PM »
Just a heads up, FYI.  I went past it last night on the way to the dentist and the front area was all torn up with guys on ladders and power tools.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2006, 10:43:42 AM »
What time do folks get there?  I was there last night for 20 minutes, but didn't see any gay people nor folks I knew, so I went home.

Offline JoePocky

• Activist
  • www.JoeSaidSo.com
    • JoeSaidSo.com
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2006, 02:45:00 PM »
We actually had a great turnout!

It starts at 9 but hasnt really been picking up until 10ish. Good times. Hope to see everyone next week!

They're getting new postcards made up with Marcel the Bartender on em (yum!)
I believe I was a Japanese school girl in a past life.

zeran

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2006, 08:18:25 AM »
Think I'll check it out tonight...
;)

Offline Candy Samples

• Citizen
  • I'm looking for a few good men...
    • Candy Samples Online
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2006, 09:17:02 AM »
I'm sorry I missed y'all last night...I was rehearsing with Chic and Sassy until the wee hours of the morning.

Can't wait to see everyone, soon, though.

xoxo

CS
"I was the prettiest girl in town, when I wore the crown." --- Mary Jane Eastman, "Oil! The Musical!"

zeran

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2007, 12:20:58 PM »
I missed this last Wednesday evening, but heard it was fun, and quite a bit crowded. Unexpectedly for a cold night. I'll be in New Orleans this week and will miss it too! Dammit.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2007, 12:36:51 PM »
We always hope that we'll get a good showing at Bungalo - they've been very supportive of Out Astoria, and DJ Rob is amazing.  We'll all be heading over this Wednesday after the dinner at Ploes, just a block away.

zeran

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2007, 05:08:45 PM »
anyone going this week?
i'm thinking about it....

zeran

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2007, 07:41:42 PM »
This place still on? I think I'm going to need  a drink tonight...  :wink:

????

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2007, 09:05:42 AM »
I heard Marcel had left, but haven't been there in a while.  Let us know what you find out!

zeran

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2007, 02:56:19 PM »
HMPF!
Ok, I pased by last Wednesday, and basically, there was nobody there. Sad, because this is a nice place with a nice mood setting. Seems like Bungalo better get their s___ together and learn how to promote, or die like the other smalls clubs in Astoria did. You can pump all the specials you want, but if you're not drawing a crowd, you won't sell liquor;hence, you won't be a profitable establishment that folks enjoy. If your consistently inviting just your friends, then that's what will be there begging for another free drink, until you close down.....

Recall when it was Amnesia? or some of the other club closing like KRASH, and bars along Steinway?

WTF....

GET WITH IT!

Get the right DJ's, and promote!!! Where's Rob the DJ? what did you guys do to change it up, and just not draw people?

ughh, I'm so frustrated there no places left for us Astorians to really have fun, gay fun that is..

If you guys need help with you Wed night thingie, send me a note:
ErikAviance@aol.com, or my Mother, mother.juanAviance@verizon.net

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2007, 03:14:40 PM »
It does seem that Bungalo isn't really happening these days.  Their bartender left, as did Rob.  Caos, Clic, Bungalo, Cave, something needs to last on that strip.  They just don't promote it well and don't work get a crowd coming in regularly (plus it being one night a week sucks).

Offline C-J

• Senator
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2007, 12:53:03 PM »
I'm pretty sure that Krash closed because it moved to Manhattan a few years ago (big Friday night party).

Offline Candy Samples

• Citizen
    • Candy Samples Online
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2007, 08:03:20 AM »
I have said this all along, and I'll say it one more time.  What is needed in Astoria is another gay owned and operated bar that caters to the GLBT community seven days a week.  No more 'nights' at a straight establishment on their slow nights (hoping they can make a fast gay buck).

Anyone have the capital or desire to open a bar?  Be a trailblazer, I dare ya!

xoxo

CS
"I was the prettiest girl in town, when I wore the crown." --- Mary Jane Eastman, "Oil! The Musical!"

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2007, 08:28:21 AM »
I agree completely.  I wish we had a fulltime gay bar somewhere near a train stop.

Offline GenXnyc

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2007, 08:58:54 AM »
I guess Astoria is so close to Manhattan that most just choose to get on the train when they want to go out, I'm guilty of that ;)

Offline Candy Samples

• Citizen
    • Candy Samples Online
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2007, 09:32:01 AM »
We all are guilty of that, but that's why we live in Astoria.  Cheaper rent so we can afford to go out in the city.  Still, it would be nice to have a couple of different watering holes here just a hop skip and a jump from home.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2007, 09:32:40 AM »
and you wouldn't have to pay for a cab home if it was late or you didn't want to deal with the train.

Offline GenXnyc

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2007, 11:30:00 AM »
I just always take the train anyway.  Where do you like to go out of the places around now?  I don't mind Albatross, but wouldn't go out of my way to go there either.  I know that Brick, Cafe Bar and Crescent Lounge have a big mixed crowd, but what about other nearby places?

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2007, 11:31:31 AM »
I get to all three locations periodically, less so now that I'm in a relationship, but if they were gay all the time, I'd go there at least once a week, if not more, to be supportive.

kkentert

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2007, 01:06:47 AM »
how many people turn out to bungalo on Wed?  What's the best time to head over?

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2007, 12:22:45 PM »
I think Hump is no more, but I could be wrong.

Offline Pinnochio

• Activist
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2007, 06:27:19 PM »
Crescent Lounge is pretty gay nowadays, at least the handful of times I've been there. I've always had fun there and met new people, unlike bars in Chelsea or even the East Village. Last Friday night was mixed, but I'd guess more than 50% gay.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2007, 01:18:26 AM »
Crescent is a great place, very gay friendly too.  Are some nights gayer there than others?

Offline GenXnyc

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2007, 09:14:32 PM »
Anytime I've been there I would say every guy was gay except for maybe one at the most.  There are a lot of women too, mayguess would also be about half the crowd as noted below.  I would say it's more a matter of what nights (and at what time) there are people there. 

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life