relax

Author Topic: Thanksgiving Dinner Out  (Read 7365 times)

JustDesserts

Thanksgiving Dinner Out
« on: October 18, 2006, 10:22:07 AM »
My dad is coming to stay here in November for Thanksgiving weekend, and I am sooooo not cooking (I don't think a turkey would even fit in my kitchen), so we're going to go out for Thanksgiving dinner.  Problem is, I have no idea where to go.  We're looking for a place that serves the traditional fare, either here in Astoria or Manhattan.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks!!

Now that I'm thinking about it, any suggestions for any restaurants that are even open on Thanksgiving would be good, regardless of whether they serve the turkey, etc.  I'm completely clueless about where we should go.

Telesphoros

Re: Thanksgiving Dinner Out
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 10:35:40 AM »
Can't speak to open restaurants, but there are surely plenty of them, even on Thanksgiving.

I would also recommend Fresh Direct if you would consider staying home. They deliver on Thanksgiving. Did this a few years ago for myself and the guys and it was really nice.

duluoz_cats

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 10:47:19 AM »
Yeah, FD is actually a really nice idea, I've ordered their "heat and eat" and parbaked meals before, and they are quite delicious.

... the other plus is you don't have to unzip in public after the huge T-day meal ...  :-o

Offline schmennifer

• Campaigning for Council
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 10:50:17 AM »
When I was looking for a restaurant to take my husband before a show we're going to see, I noticed that a few of them were serving Thanksgiving dinners. Unfortunately, I have no recommendations, but you might want to look at Open Table and do a search for ones that are open on Thanksgiving Day.

When I lived in LA and couldn't make it home for Thanksgiving (and also didn't feel like cooking), I noticed that a lot of hotel restaurants offered a holiday brunch and dinner. We didn't even have to be guests at the hotel. So there's one idea.

Telesphoros

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 10:50:30 AM »
... the other plus is you don't have to unzip in public after the huge T-day meal ...  :-o
Let's not get hasty. This could get priceless.

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 10:54:58 AM »
Well it all depends. Is Dad footing the bill? If so, a few years ago some of my friends were in town for the Thanksgiving weekend. They all went to the parade and then took the 38th Street Water Taxi to the Water's Edge were I met them with the car. It's not cheap, mind you, but the Water Taxi is free, and the food was wonderful. Reservations are required.

As I recall, the Neptune makes a pretty big deal about Holiday meals. They might have a price fixed option for you.

Most of the local, non-ethnic restaurants might also be doing something. They must be aware that the neighborhood has evolved into a not-so-family environment and may be prepping for the single(s) crowd.

Are you sure you couldn't just make a turkey breast and all the fixins? You could invite some single friends over to help do the cooking and enjoy the meal.
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! â€”Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Alison

• Senator
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 11:42:16 AM »
Well it all depends. Is Dad footing the bill? If so, a few years ago some of my friends were in town for the Thanksgiving weekend. They all went to the parade and then took the 38th Street Water Taxi to the Water's Edge were I met them with the car. It's not cheap, mind you, but the Water Taxi is free, and the food was wonderful. Reservations are required.

Are you sure you couldn't just make a turkey breast and all the fixins? You could invite some single friends over to help do the cooking and enjoy the meal.

Yeah, if you guys go out, it'll probably be $$$. But like NYCMU said, if Dad's treating...go for it! Sorry I don't have any specific reccommendations for ya - I always end up at my parents' house. I guess you can just make a list of restaurants that you like and call around? Now would be the time to make a reservation if that's what you end up doing (and if you decide on other plans, you can always call and cancel a week or two ahead of time).

Last year Rachel Ray did a Thanksgiving dinner in 60 minutes. Granted, she was running around like a nutjob for the last 15 minutes of it, but the recipes seemed do-able, and the turkey breasts she prepared looked really good. It's gonna be airing again in a few weeks...http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_sp/episode/0,1976,FOOD_9994_35591,00.html
What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

Offline firelight79

• Running for Governor
    • Fan Firelight Jewelry & Designs on Facebook!
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 03:09:49 PM »
I saw that 60 minute dinner rachel ray did. trick is just turkey breasts and premade pie :) Saves lots of time. I tried it once (only not cutlets, breast on the bone) not as nice. Must've spent too much time on the pies....mmmmmmmm pie.

If you're willing to go to Sunnyside, Sidetracks (queens blvd & 46th street) has a nice Thanksgiving dinner but i think you need to make reservations early.
If you read about the place on city search it gets bad reviews but that's b/c it turns into a night club at night and it gets trashy then. Nice restaurant during the day, crap scene at night. As with most places I have had a bad meal or two there but on the whole i enjoy it.
Now Neidersteins, now departed, did a good turkey day meal. Got in on the action thier last three Thanksgivings in business.
Nothing like dinner with fam practically in a cemetary.

JustDesserts

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 03:38:05 PM »
Thanks all for your thoughtful suggestions.  It turns out I really don't want to cook (because I really don't want to clean up afterwards) so we're most likely going to check out Brick's Thanksgiving offerings.  Local, tasty, and nice atmosphere so it's perfect. 

BigBryan

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2006, 09:07:49 PM »
The Crowne Plaza LGA has wonderful buffet style with carving board and all the trimmings and is fairly reasonable.  I'd recommend it for a nice easy no cook hassle turkey day.

nycatexas

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2006, 11:56:20 PM »
Last year we went to Michael's on....30th ave? You have to make reservations but I think that is more for their head count than an actual get-a-seat-at-this-time reservation. It wasn't home cooking but it was very good and the atmosphere was very family like.

FOODJUNKIEVPC

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2006, 06:36:30 PM »
Hi JustDesserts,
   I was out to din din the other night at one of my fav restaurants in Manhattan and upon getting the bill at Philip Marie, as usual along came the inserts; a post card, a comment card as well as a card or flier of their upcoming events and low and behold they are having a Turkey Day dinner. I immediately thought of your post and viola here I am posting it for your consideration for you and yours to enjoy. The link for the restaurant is below, if you go I am sure you will enjoy, it is a quaint restaurant and I just love it everytime we go there, we have gone for dinner as well as for their tasting dinners and friends of ours have gone for the brunch deal, all fab and yum! Whatever you end up doing, Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy the time with your family!!!!

Philip Marie: www.philipmarie.com

Offline MattM

• Citizen
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2006, 10:22:14 AM »
If they're open on Thanksgiving (I'm guessing they will be) give Stove a try on 46th street and 28th ave.  I've been there a few times and it seems like the perfect place for a holiday meal -- very cozy and traditional.  The food is great and they have a fantastic wine list.

(Just a  quick side note, the owner and chef is the brother Jerry Kass -- one of the owners of the Irish Rover -- and he takes as much pride in his food as Jerry does in his beer  :wink:)

Offline urrisgirl

• Senator
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2006, 11:43:55 AM »
If they're open on Thanksgiving (I'm guessing they will be) give Stove a try on 46th street and 28th ave.  I've been there a few times and it seems like the perfect place for a holiday meal -- very cozy and traditional.  The food is great and they have a fantastic wine list.

(Just a  quick side note, the owner and chef is the brother Jerry Kass -- one of the owners of the Irish Rover -- and he takes as much pride in his food as Jerry does in his beer  :wink:)

Stove is awesome. Unfortunately it is hike from my apartment- but the food is delicious!

Side Tracks- it is a nice place to eat- but I agree with Firelight that it is super frightening at night! If you want a good bar in that neighborhood after you have eaten at Side Tracks just cross the street and walk a block down to the Gaslight its a really nice Irish pub.

My first pick if I was going to be in the neighborhood for Thanksgiving would the The Kettle (formerly the Copper kettle) which is located in Sunnyside on Skillman Avenue. The food is awesome and the waitstaff is very friendly.

JD- Brick is a great choice too. I love to take my parents there when they visit. My mom loves their Chicken Franchise.

Astorians

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2006, 11:43:55 AM »

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life