relax

Author Topic: Introduce yourself!  (Read 35475 times)

mr reepicheep

Re: Introduce yourself!
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2007, 08:04:57 PM »
Hey there and thanks so much for the invite!  Sadly, I am at work right now while you all are enjoying fantastic food and drinks at the get together.   :cry:  I hope to be able to make a function soon though!

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2007, 12:43:31 AM »
It went great tonight!  Hope you'll be able to join us next week (we're doing a mixer at Indigo on Friday night).

florestan

« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2007, 04:27:08 PM »
Hi everybody--
Have lived in Astoria for, oh, about five years now I guess (time flies, as does my memory), and have posted only a very little elsewhere on the Astorians board. My partner first moved here from Forest Hills, and it didn't take me long to follow; actually, I'd lived in Astoria about a dozen years ago, for not-very-long. I work in publishing (where I've also been known to spend time gossiping on Datalounge), but spend my real time on art and jewelry. And reading. And music. (My bf would probably add "and shopping" to that.) Don't really know anyone in the neighborhood right now, and that wouldn't be a bad thing to change, so I'll keep an eye out for any upcoming events.

Anyway, happy Pride Day this weekend, and be well.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2007, 04:37:21 PM »
Welcome Florestan! 

countryboynyc

« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2007, 01:20:58 PM »
Hi, kids!  Just found this board!  My husband and I were married a couple of years ago in Toronto (http://marryus.org).  We've been together about four years.  He's in publishing and I'm a legal secretary (actor, singer, waiter, writer, stitcher, mover).  We're Ditmars kids down toward the Park.  Have lived here about three years now, moved next door to one of my best mates of 10 years who's ALSO in publishing and also gay, but single.  We're really home-bodies, love Bollywood movies, have lots of friends who are actors and comedians and we go to church at St. Luke in the Fields in The Village (for ever).  Totally accepting Espiscopal Church, female rector and the vicar is a lesbian mother of two who's been married to her wife for 10 years.

To address a previous post, there's a GORJUS and accepting Presbyterian church in the City (i know, wouldn't it be great to have something in the NEIGHBOURHOOD, tho?) http://www.fpcnyc.org -- 5th Avenue @ 12th Street. The Senior Pastor is a SWEETheart.  The Worship services are held every Sunday at 11:00 AM. 

It's SO FUNNY to hear the ladies talk about PDA!  We don't, really, we're a bit reluctant ...  I'm from farmland in way southern Maryland by the Eastern Shore, been out forever and up here since '82, and my husband is from Jersey and went to a Jesuit High School in the City, so it's not like we're shy or new to The Life ... but it just seems weird.  To look at us we look absolutely to type for 45 year old bears and I KNOW everyone in the neighborhood knows we're married.  In the last year, though, we've see two or three different couples of womyn walking down Ditmars holding hands and we're like DAMMIT ! let's DO IT !  :-) and if we've had some beers, late at night, we WILL ... so ... baby steps and thanks for the courageous example, ladies!  We've noticed in the years we've been here what we PRESUME to be a nice and growing gay presence and I could not be more pleased living where we do.  Can't wait to put our name in for the Dinner emails!  Sounds very very exciting. 

Blessings to us all and I'm sure we see each other around soon! 
(Maybe we could all wear descrete little badges, OA, for OUT ASTORIA !)

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2007, 02:08:11 PM »
Welcome Countryboynyc - hope you guys will join us for the mixer tonight!

Offline LastStop

• Council Member
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2007, 03:16:21 PM »
Hi, Everyone. I am new to this board but not to Astoria. I hail originally from Michigan, that Midwestern bastion of creative people who later flee, e.g. Madonna, Lily Tomlin, Robin Williams, Sandra Bernhard, Jack White... 
Nowadays I consider myself a New Yorker without the accent, and have lived in Astoria for 20 years, (but have only been out for 1-1/2)! All I can say is I am currently loving life and have never been happier.  I do live concert production work for a living, and summer is a very busy time for me, but I do like to balance the long hours of work with a healthy social life.  I think this board is great, I can't believe I didn't find it until recently.  You'll most likely see me cruising around the neighborhood on my trusty Canondale.  I hope to meet some of you sooner rather than later, and wish you all a great Summer!  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 03:31:01 PM by LastStop »

Offline Debbie

• Senator
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2007, 09:22:56 AM »

In the last year, though, we've see two or three different couples of womyn walking down Ditmars holding hands and we're like DAMMIT ! let's DO IT !  :-) and if we've had some beers, late at night, we WILL ... so ... baby steps and thanks for the courageous example, ladies!  We've noticed in the years we've been here what we PRESUME to be a nice and growing gay presence and I could not be more pleased living where we do.  Can't wait to put our name in for the Dinner emails!  Sounds very very exciting. 

Blessings to us all and I'm sure we see each other around soon! 
(Maybe we could all wear descrete little badges, OA, for OUT ASTORIA !)

Hello!!! I am not gay but my heart tells me that we all deserve to love and be loved.  If you feel like holding hands, go for it!!!  I am absolutely delighted that Astoria is so diverse.  We should welcome every nationality, race, religion, sexual orientation etc.

Love going to Mykonos, where I witnessed this scene a few years ago - On a quiet Sunday morning, when Mykonos Town just got over another crazy Saturday night, I took a walk.  There were well dressed Greek old ladies heading to Church while crossing paths with Gay men returning from their party on Super Paradise Beach.  They exchanged niceties and each group went on its' way.  It was lovely to see that everyone was happy doing what they wanted to do!!!

That's what it should always  be like.  God Bless.

gwmAstoria

« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2007, 01:11:32 PM »
Hello All,
My name is Bill and I moved to Astoria a year ago February from Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. (Delaware is a state south of here, it is not where the Water Gap is located! :wink: ). I am a retired college instructor in my 50's (I can still say that for a little while longer.) I am currently volunteering with immigrant issues and animal rescue. I travel a lot, particularly to Mexico.

My boyfriend Luis, who is 29, is from Veracruz, Mexico. He moved in with me in June and despite living in a small one bedroom / one bathroom apartment, we are still getting along really well. We hope to spend next winter in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.

We would really like to meet other gay Astorians. Right now we schlep into Manhattan to socialize with other gays. I'm very glad to have stumbled on this board. We look forward to making new friends here.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2007, 11:41:08 PM »
Welcome to Astorians.com and the Out Astoria board, Bill (and Luis).

Offline Rogan Josh

• Tourist
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2007, 05:10:48 PM »
Hey everybody, I'm Josh. I live in LIC with my partner David and we're hopefully moving up to Astoria sometime in the next couple months.  We're 32/28. I'm an artist/designer and he's a teacher. We're into scifi, video games, art, comics, indie rock, theater, travel, and general good times. Looking forward to meeting other local 'mos.    :-)

As I wrote that, I realized "General Good Times" could be the stage name of a go-go boy dancing in army fatigues.. 

[img width= height=]http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/10P/PO139~Army-Fatigues-Posters.jpg[/img]

But that's not what I meant..   :roll:

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2007, 01:44:51 PM »
I like the go-go boy.  Welecome to Astorians.com and Astoria.
What sci-fi do you read?  (or do you prefer tv/movies?)

ositopapi

« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2007, 08:43:52 PM »
Hello Astoria,

My name is Thom and I am 42 yo and my partner name is Ephraim and he is 31 yo.  Just found out about OutAstoria.  What a great way to meet new friends in our area.  My partner and I have been together for almost 8 years.  I work in construction/sales, and my partner is an actor.  We moved here from Philadelphia a few years ago.  Looking forward to the next Astoria outing and meet all of you.  Please feel free to contact us and introduce yourself, we welcome new friends.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2007, 10:27:47 PM »
Welcome Thom - we look forward to meeting you and Ephraim at an Out Astoria event!

ositopapi

« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2007, 09:22:31 PM »
Looking forward to the next event/social meeting.... keep us posted..Thom & Ephraim

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life