relax

Author Topic: Introduce yourself!  (Read 35407 times)

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
Re: Introduce yourself!
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2007, 08:00:48 AM »
Welcome Astoriacamp!  Great taste in music!

pharmer1

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2007, 01:14:07 PM »
Hi

I am a health care professional.  I have lived in Woodside for my life.   Looking forward to getting acquainted with my neighbors.

John

eeeniebean

« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2007, 04:55:07 PM »
Chello OUT Astoria.

mcdirk and stephaniel used their wiley charms to lure me over from the general introduction thread... so I'll reintroduce myself here. As far as my LGBT-related intro goes: I've been out as bi since I was about 18. I've been in serious, long-term relationships with both men and women and am currently single. 

I'm fairly committed (there's always more that can be done) to LGBT rights and issues - particularly in the legal realm (simply because that's what I'm studying). Just as an example - I've recently found myself embroiled in the midst of a heated debate about the FDA's policy which restricts blood donation from men who have had sex with men (and women who have sex with those men). The question is whether having a blood drive on our lawschool campus would be a violation of the our human rights policy which forbids discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.

As far as being the B in LGBT, I'm well practiced in explaining my sexuality to both straights/queers who stereotype bisexuals as indecisive, selfish and unfaithful. I'm almost always happy to engage in the friendly debate on the topic. I sometimes find myself (don't all LGBT people to some extent?) as somewhat of a (hesitant) ambassador for being bi.  I end up just trying to explain -my- own particular experience and feelings and try to explain that I'm not trying to prove that all bi people are like me but that the danger lies in making presumptions about people's attitudes and behaviors on the basis of their sexuality.

The length of this introduction/mini-rant prolly demonstrates that I'm procrastinating from studying for my finals again. Back to it!
-Ericka

(posted on the general introductions thread)
-------------------------------------------
I've been a meek-lurker on astorians for a little while and am semi-new to Astoria. I live on Crescent near the Tri and have been here since fall of 2005. I used to be a professional geek (doing webmistressy stuff and unixwork), but now I have amateur status as I'm in my second year of law school. I like violent videogames and highly unrealistic media (read: movies/tv with superheroes and/or robots). I'm not a musician, but I am a fan (Flaming Lips and Cibo Matto top the list) and would be making mixcds and attending concerts much more if it weren't for this bloody homework.

What else? I'm a single, bisexual, civil libertarian girl who is fast discovering that writing this kind of general introduction sounds a heck of a lot like writing a dating site profile. That was really not my intent! (Unless you're clever and cute.).

Nice to "meet" you all!

Offline nyccuddlecub

• Tourist
  • me fisting a bird
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2007, 11:10:37 PM »
Hey everyone!

I'm new to Astoria (moved to 24th ave/27th st a month ago) and i LOVE it!

I moved to NYC two years ago from Arkansas and I haven't looked back.

The boyfriend lives way down in Brooklyn so we don't spend as much time together as I'd like.

...so, I need local Astorian friends to pal around with.

I'm nuts with history and dining out. I'd love to make one of those dinner-events that I've read about on Outastoria.com.

I'm political (and frustrated with the country at the moment) but NYC is the best place in the country to live IMHO. I adore NYC and I've also just became a volunteer guide with Big Apple Greeter. Google 'em :)

I live next to the Beer Garden and down the street from the Albatross. Anyone want to form an Astorian version of the Golden Girls and drink with me? *hiccup*

ciao! =)

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2007, 07:16:13 AM »
Welcome nyccuddlecub!  We'll get you on the evite and email lists for Out Astoria!

cwhite2880

« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2007, 05:34:07 PM »
Hello All,

Don't know if I did this right, but wanted to introduce myself.  My name is Chris and I have been in Astoria for about 8 months now- Looking to meet fellow Astorians-
Currently I work in Manhattan in Sales for a Hotel- I will be looking for a roomate at the end of August if anyone is looking around then

Please include me in any events around Astoria- my email is cwhite2880@gmail.com

immortalsdontcry

« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2007, 04:28:09 PM »
Hi everyone.  I'm new to the board but I've been in Astoria for about 2.5 years now.  I just heard about OutAstoria and I'm glad there is a message board.

I guess I'm here because I have trouble meeting gay men (for both friendships AND dating).  I don't know why, but I get really nervous around men, esp. gay men.  I'm usually pretty out-going, friendly, extroverted and fun.  The idea of going to one of the OutAstoria dinners/brunches sounds like a lot of fun, but it also terrifies the hell out of me.  So I guess it is good that there is a message board where I can get to know some of you all first, because I need more gay friends.  No offense to the straight women of the world, but they just aren't enough.

A little about me?  I'm a book editor, an admitted workaholic, a netflix addict and like most people in NYC, I can be found with my MP3 player permanently attached to my ears.  I'm not a huge fan of bars and clubs (too dark, too loud, too shallow) and I'm not a big drinker (I know, what kind of gay man am I?) so I haven't met many gay men.  Most of my interactions with the gay community are with people who are only looking to hookup or a few one-time conversations where I wasn't sure what to say.

I'm looking at this place as somewhere I can be myself, where I can get to know some friendly people and eventually work up the nerve to come to one of the dinners once I'm ready to meet those friendly people face to face.  And hey, maybe I'll find a few people who understand the nervousness.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2007, 05:56:33 PM »
Welcome ImmortalsDontCry!
Hope you'll join us at one of the Out Astoria events.  You'll have a good time and we promise not to bite (unless asked to bite!)
What type of books do you edit? My boyfriend works in publishing.

immortalsdontcry

« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2007, 09:37:17 PM »
Hey there.  Thanks for the welcome.  I'm in children's books.  What area does your boyfriend work in.  Maybe we've crossed paths at a professional function.

And yes, I am hoping to eventually work up the nerve to come to an event.  I have no idea why I get so nervous...you'd think I'd be fine, considering how outgoing and extroverted I am on a regular basis.  Maybe if I make a few friends on here, they'll give me that extra oomph I need to get me out and then I'll see there is nothing to be afraid of.   :-D

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2007, 09:43:27 PM »
He works in adverstising copy.  We get a lot of folks from Publishing Triangle at the dinners.  It's a very friendly and welcoming group.

austin

« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2007, 09:09:23 PM »
Hey guys. I just moved here (literally 2 days ago) from Memphis. I'm originally from Birmingham, Alabama. I just graduated college and am here because, well, it's New York City and I love it. And Astoria is affordable and a really great community from what I've seen so far. I'm living with my friend from college on 45th street. I didn't even know that there was a gay organization in Astoria, but I'm glad I stumbled upon it. Just wanted to say "hello."

Offline nyccuddlecub

• Tourist
  • me fisting a bird
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2007, 09:30:20 PM »
Hey man! I'm from Memphis originally- moved to NYC exactly two years ago from Arkansas.

Is it we or they who speak funny? ;)

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2007, 10:17:27 PM »
Welcome austin - if you're interested, we'll add your email to the Out Astoria email/evite lists.  Our dinner this month will be at Island on 36th Street, on Wednesday, June 20.

mr reepicheep

« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2007, 08:33:25 PM »
Well hello there.  I was looking for info about any pride festivities happening in Astoria and came across this website!  Hello to all.   :-)  I have lived in Astoria since January of '06 - so about a year and a half now (although I was out of town for 4 months last year) and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!  I've only lived in NYC for one month longer than I've been in Astoria (I moved here from Chicago where I had been for 7 years).  After staying with a friend in Hell's Kitchen for a month, I immediately gravitated towards Astoria.  It's just how I like things - close enough but far enough away as well.   :mrgreen:

I do all sorts of things.  I'm pursuing an acting career, I am a certified yoga instructor and I work with dogs (walking, pet sitting).  I love doing all three and they sort of come and go in my life.  Currently the acting/dog thing is happening.

Don't know what else to say.  I still only know a handful of people in New York so it's always nice to get out and meet new people/make new friends.  Don't get out a lot as I am extremely poor currently but now that the weather has been nice, I've been at least getting out for walks all over Astoria.  Have been from Ditmars to 36th ave and 19th st to 48th.  That's about my limit for now but as the summer progresses who knows how far I'll walk!

I guess that's it.  I'm off to explore other areas of the board!  Enjoy your weekend everyone!!!!!! :evil:

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2007, 08:12:41 PM »
Welcome mr reepicheep - You'll enjoy Astorians.com and our little home here in the OutAstoria sub board.
If you're interested, we are doing the monthly OutAstoria dinner this upcoming Wednesday, June 20, at Island.  Shoot me a pm with your email address and I would be happy to add you to the list.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life