relax

Author Topic: Introduce yourself!  (Read 34078 times)

Offline aquaecny

• Senator
Re: Introduce yourself!
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006, 09:05:37 PM »
Hey Ken,  welcome aboard!

Ken-of-Queens

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2006, 10:18:52 PM »
thanks a lot :)

barrister15

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2006, 10:55:14 AM »
Wait, are there no lesbians in all of Astoria? How odd. I could swear that I see gaggles of 'em waiting for the N train on any given morning. Could my gaydar be that off?  :wink:

And I think I've got everyone beat as to time living in Astoria -- born here 37 years ago, though I lived in Manhattan while in graduate school and law school (and Chicago for a summer).

So here's a question for you folks -- what's your take on Astoria gay PDA? We're talking minimal PDA, like hand holding. My girlfriend and I bicker about this -- we're both out, so that's not the issue, but I do worry about being harassed and there are other places in the city (i.e., Brooklyn Heights/Park Slope) that I feel more comfortable with the PDA than I do in Astoria. She thinks I'm crazy.

Thoughts?

Yuzu

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2006, 10:36:49 PM »
Hey, barrister15, there are at least two lesbians who have posted in this thread, me and mirki. I know, the numbers aren't staggering. Anyone else out there??

Offline StephanieL

• Running for Senate
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2006, 07:48:05 PM »
Chalk up another one for the women's team.  :wink:

As for PDA, I'm single and pretty much have been since I moved to Astoria, so alas it's a non-issue for now.

kjaviator

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2006, 09:17:23 PM »
Hello,
My names Kelly, been in Astoria 1 yr this month, lived in Forest Hills 1 yr-orig from Boston.
I mived here to be a Flight Attendant for JetBlue Airways. I have a few friends here in the hood but don't have nearly enough friends here :O(
Its tough because being an FA most of my acquaintances/friends are from all over the country-not Astoria. I actually chose to live and dtay here-I love it. So, I get bored but try to be productive-I walk alot since i'm conveniently located at Ditmars & 38th. I love the arts, writing, going for coffee. I'm thinking of checking out this place someone posted called  Womens Studio Center--has art classes (painting, writing, pottery) etc...
I'd love to meet some new people and if anyone has any suggestions I'd love you forever.
Anyone involved in anything like this?
Happy Holidays to everyone  :-)

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2006, 11:13:41 PM »
Welcome Kelly!
I hope you'll join us at the upcoming Out Astoria holiday party, Wednesday, December 13, 7-9 p.m. at Bungalo (Broadway at 32nd Street)

Offline StephanieL

• Running for Senate
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2006, 04:55:17 PM »
Yay, another addition to the distaff Out Astoria contingent!  Kelly, are you looking for activities in Astoria to meet new people or in NYC in general?

kjaviator

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2006, 12:33:28 AM »
Hey thanks for the welcome ... :-D
I am looking for people more so in the Astoria area. I know a few people in the city but most that I know are hard to get together with because of the job. I do mostly redeyes so i'm around more so in the day and have days off more often during the week.
I am sort of looking for other options as far as work goes too...i'm a bit bored. I like it but I don't feel like its what i should be doing in the long run.
tough decision to make as far as that goes too. I feel like if i had a more ...grounded job (no pun intended) i'd meet more people and actually be able to be more social.
I have a background in the Caribbean travel industry and psychology..and now this. I'd like to get involved in maybe teaching/writing/english/history.. or something to do with the arts. I would like to be involved in something that will make a differance...bring people together maybe.
Anyway....yeah....people in the area would be ideal.
Thanks for asking, you guys all seem cool on here.

Ken-of-Queens

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2006, 08:35:47 AM »
Kelly,

It seems that you wanna teach potentially, maybe you should look into the NYC Fellowship for Teachers, they pay for your masters and then you get to teach in the NYC public schools. Now I totally know what your initial reaction is, NYC PUBLIC SCHOOLS :?...BUT, the benefits are good and the  salary at first is eh, but gets much better with time. And then you may be able to use the things you know, Carribbean travel, psychology, etc to teach. Think about it. I'm not using my degree in what I do lol, and hell I think I'm gonna be very happy.

Ken

kjaviator

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2006, 01:43:01 PM »
Hey Ken,
Thanks for the suggestion. I've had some friends tell me about that also but I didnt finish my Psych dg in Boston..so I'd have to complete that.
What do you do?
I feel a little aprehensive about going back to school because I face a lot of scheduling challenges with my current job. If I have a nine to fiver i'd reconsider---or just something that would allow me to have a more appropriate schedule to attend school. I'm almost 30 so I feel like nows the time to make some moves.
Thanks-K

Ken-of-Queens

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2006, 01:49:17 PM »
I'm an attorney...though I'm not practicing as of Monday...WOO HOO. How far are you from the degree in psych, I wonder if there is a way you can easily wrap it up.  What are areas of employment that interest you? Any ideas?

Ken

kjaviator

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2006, 04:12:05 PM »
you changing careers?
I think im going to research photography aggresively...
Ive always felt like I want to get involved in it but its one of those things that seemed unrealistic.

Ken-of-Queens

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2006, 04:16:55 PM »
Go for it...there is no reason why you can't have studied one thing and then do another, in today's day and age we merge careers and blend skills all over. Go for what you feel comfortable or passionate about.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2006, 06:54:33 AM »
Just want to remind folks about the Out Astoria Holiday Social next Wednesday night, it's 8-10 p.m., not 7-9 as originally billed.  I'll post it in the Community calendar as well - please come out and meet your neighbors!

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life