relax

Author Topic: Introduce yourself!  (Read 34920 times)

Offline JoePocky

• Activist
  • www.JoeSaidSo.com
    • JoeSaidSo.com
Introduce yourself!
« on: October 11, 2006, 11:52:20 AM »
Feel free to re-post your intro from the last OUT Astoria board!

I may as well start...again  :lol:

I'm Joe. I've lived in Astoria for over 5 years now.

Graduated from Marymount Manhattan College with a degree in Theatre. I'm an actor/producer/writer...but to pay the bills I do freelance web and graphic design and I also work as an Executive Assistant at a non-profit for autism.

I produced a TV pilot last year (www.morgoldproductions.com) and you can view my resume/portfolio at www.joemoran.info
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 12:19:41 PM by JoePocky »
I believe I was a Japanese school girl in a past life.

Yuzu

Re: Introduce yourself!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 08:30:13 AM »
Ok. I'll  bite as I  don't think I  ever posted an intro to myself at the old OUT Astoria site.

I moved to Astoria from Kyoto in August with my partner, who will be returning to the U.S. at the end of November. I'm still getting used to the neighborhood (and the rest of New York), but am thrilled that the Family Market is on Broadway and am loving the local restaurants.

I'm originally from California (and am a very proud banana slug), but have lived in Ithaca; Bloomington, Indiana; and Japan for lengthy periods as well.

Offline mirki2

• Senator
    • mirichronicles
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 09:40:19 AM »
 Hi Yuzu, woo hoo to being a UCSC grad. Which college? Feel free to post and say hi on the regular Hello thread (top thread under local chat) as well  (sorry Joe but not everyday I see a fellow banana slug on astorians, out or otherwise....)
seek peace and pursue it.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 11:06:57 AM »
I think I posted this back at the old OutAstoria site, but I could be wrong.

I'm Dirk, a 13 year resident of Astoria (over 15 in NYC now) and am a transplant from the South.  I live at 34th and Broadway with two wonderful, but difficult cats.  My interests include local politics (I'm the President of the Stonewall Democratic Club of NYC, the citywide LGBT Democratic organization - sdnyc.org), science fiction and fantasy books, cooking, indie music and my boyfriend has recently gotten me addicted to Project Runway.  I'm pretty active locally as a Board Member of the Powhatan Regular Democratic Club, a member of Trinity Lutheran Church (up on 31st Avenue at 37th Street) and in Astoria Kiwanis.

Yuzu

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 09:41:46 PM »
Mirki2, I started out at Oakes and then jumped ship to Kresge, you? So nice to find another banana slug! When were you there? I graduated in 94.

Offline hoffsteele

• Tourist
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 02:09:31 AM »
Hi Guys,

I am new here and I posted this on the old board before it went under. In reading this thread so far, I think I have all of you beat as far as how long I've lived in Astoria.

I have been an Astorian for 22 years. (Since I was five years old)- cool, huh?

Anyway, my name is Valentine and I work in a bookstore in the city and I have lived in NYC pretty much my entire life.

I guess I joined to network with some Gay Astorians and it sounded like fun.

I am on myspace as well under hoffsteele. Feel free to send me a message if you like anything you see.

Take care,
Val

zeran

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 07:49:44 PM »
I forget what I posted last time...

I've been in Astoria for about 16yrs now. I'm a native New Yorker, and live with my roommate and dog. I work for a travel website, and I'm always walking about town.
It's Sunday, I'm tired, and need some tea.
;)

arynphkboy

Hi Ladies, Gents, and Trans
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 10:59:39 PM »
Name's Rob and been in Astoria for about 5 1/2 years. 

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 11:13:42 AM »
Welcome!
I hope some of you guys (and gals) are able to join us for the Out Astoria dinner this Tuesday (October 17) at Mundo.  PM me for details.

Offline newell the jewell

• Senator
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 04:17:34 PM »

Hi!.  New kid (?) on the block, "Newell" here.  Will be moving to LIC tomorrow, 10.28.06, from Clinton Hill, Brooklyn and thought I'd take this opportunity to reach out.  Been picking up tidbits of info from this site, though I know practically nothing about the area.

Chow for now!

Hicham

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2006, 06:02:30 PM »
Hello there
I just moved to LIC about a month ago from Long Island. I am excited about the whole neighborhood and great
saving in my commute to work. I work in lower manahatan. I work in Finance and my name is Hicham.... if you wonder I
Hailed 8yrs ago from Morocco.

I was introduced to this site by an online friend. so I am giving it a try.

regards,
H

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 10:18:18 AM »
Welcome Hicham!  Hope you'll join us at one of the dinners!  Shoot Joe or me your email and we'll put you on the evite list.  We are doing the next Out Astoria dinner probably on November 22, we should be finalizing it later today.

H_Spofford_III

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 03:33:01 PM »
I'm Robert.  I'm new to Astoria and NYC.  I just graduated from Swarthmore, and before that I grew up in Little Rock, AR. 

Looking forward to getting to know the area!

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2006, 01:18:48 PM »
Welcome Robert!  It's always great to get more transplanted Southerners.  I'm from GA originally myself.

Ken-of-Queens

Not there yet but on my way...
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 03:31:35 PM »
Ok folks here goes...I'm a native New Yorker, born and raised. I lived in Boston for 5 years and came back in fall of 2004. I'm now looking to move into fabulous Astoria. I actually remember that neighborhood from when I was a kid, pre-gay days. I live in Elmhurst and I'm play soccer for the NY Ramblers and am active in the LGBT community working with a gay rights political group.

Professionally I am an attorney and I'm counting down the months till my big 3-0. Anyway, that's a little glimpse, say if you like and I look forward to hearing from some of you guys.

I'm looking for an apt, so any advice or leads would be much appreciated.

Ken

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life