relax

Author Topic: Green Market 07  (Read 32124 times)

Offline Gretchen

• Resident
Re: Green Market 07
« Reply #90 on: June 03, 2007, 09:18:56 AM »
Is there any news regarding this? 

I was actually thinking that we have enough people, between the two csa's and the waiting lists that I bet we could get a great co-op started.  I was a member of the Park Slope Food Coop for about 6 months when I lived in Brooklyn and while it can be a pain to work your shift once a month, great produce year round and a mind boggling selection of food at incredible prices was well worth it.  Sort of like a year round csa, except for almost anything you want to buy.  Being a democratic operation a coop can source things as carefully as they want to and being private can't be stopped by the community board.

Does anybody else have experience with PSFC or any other coops?  I remember shopping at the Rainbow Grocery in SF many years ago, which unlike PSFC is open to the public.  Prices there are more comparable to other stores, though still somewhat lower.  That's basically a retail business that is owned and run by a cooperative, as opposed to a cooperative that's run by and for only members. Is anyone interested in investigating this further?  Personally I'm partial to the members only model of PSFC but there may be advantages of the other kind I'm unaware of.
Wherever you go, there you are...

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2007, 01:58:49 PM »
Awww, I love Rainbow!  I have friends who shop there and also love it.

I have been in several conversations about starting a co-op.  Nothing extensive, though.  I had considered just talking to the Park Slope Co-op people and learning what they know about starting one.  Lots of work, of course.  Gretchen, I'd be happy to get together with you to chat, if you'd like.  :)

Offline Gretchen

• Resident
« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2007, 03:09:03 PM »
I like Rainbow too.  I didn't shop there that much because it was always far from where I lived but I didn't mean to knock it.  It's just a different model for a coop.

I too was thinking that talking to people in Park Slope would be a good first step.  My orientation was with one of the original members, so I got a sort of history lesson along with my coop tutorial.  They actually started pretty small, which is probably a good idea.

I also found "How to Start a Food Coop" at http://www.cgin.coop/manual/toc.html which might have some helpful information.

I would love to get together and talk about this some more. PM me and let's figure it out.

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2007, 09:23:55 PM »
Oh, I didn't think you were knocking it.  I also think they moved, too - now they're on Folsom.  I ate many yummy things from Rainbow a few weeks ago when I was in SF.  :)

Offline Gretchen

• Resident
« Reply #94 on: June 05, 2007, 02:26:11 PM »
Actually I haven't been to Rainbow in more years than I care to admit in mixed company. :wink:
Who else have you spoken with about a coop and are you interested in getting together to talk about it?  Maybe we could get a few who might be interested, maybe even someone with experience, to meet somewhere and see what we think? 

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #95 on: June 28, 2007, 08:35:43 AM »
The Greenmarket petition is still active, though the process is taking much longer than anticipated.  The Greenmarket folks are in negotiation with Community Board 1 and we may or may not have to attend a hearing.  I've been in regular contact with them, but have little news to report at this point, sorry!

Please keep signing and telling others to sign.  We are over 400 signatures and about another 50-60 on sheets.  These signatures are the reason the Community Board is listening and not saying no.

I'll call and see if I can get another update today and post it today or tomorrow.

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2007, 08:56:31 AM »
Thanks Dirk!

Offline jayme

• Senator
  • friends of mine
« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2007, 08:27:37 AM »
*bump*

I think we are past opening date for this -- did it go ahead and reopen at old location?
These are pigs.
See francis's friends for kitties.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2007, 02:35:49 PM »
They have had major resistance from the 30th Avenue Merchants to the Athens Square Market site, but are still trying to get approval for that site.  Most Precious Blood seems to not want to host the Greenmarket, which while disappointing, is their right.  They're still look for another site, but it's scheduled to re-open at the current site this week with a move later in the Summer if they can find a better site.  Sorry for the bad news.

Offline jayme

• Senator
  • friends of mine
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2007, 02:58:48 PM »
The market at last year's site IS returning (this week I believe?)

Astoria Health Center, located on 31st Ave between 12th and 1th streets every Wendesday from 8-5
Vendors will be selling -- meat, fruits and vegetables.

I plan to check it out (bike ride!) and I'll report back.  While the location isn't ideal, it is, I think important to support the farmers that are making the effort to come to Astoria.

These are pigs.

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2007, 03:01:59 PM »
That's too bad, Dirk.  I was really looking forward to the Green market.  The current location, day and time are extremely inconvenient for most people who work in the city and don't get back into the city til after 5pm, and who rely on the subway to get them home.  Thanks for your hard work though.  Perhaps it will come through at a later date this summer.

Offline jayme

• Senator
  • friends of mine
« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2007, 03:12:05 PM »
Yes, current date/time are very inconvenient.  That's why I'm going to investigate so you know what to expect! 

I do hope we can move it though.

These are pigs.

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2007, 04:42:06 PM »
Thanks, Jayme  :mrgreen:

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #103 on: July 10, 2007, 09:28:07 PM »
The Greenmarket folks are still trying to move and expand it, so let's keep our fingers crossed.  The 400+ signatures we got are really helping them argue their case, even if we haven't seen results yet.

Offline belle

• Council Member
« Reply #104 on: July 14, 2007, 12:20:29 PM »
Can we print out the petition for folks to sign a paper version? And where would we return it to?

If this is still active and running it would be a great thing to have out at CSA distros for members and non-members to sign. I know Astoria CSA gets 10+ folks at distro asking if the produce is for sale. If we can say no, but hey, sign this petition to get a greenmarket and goods like this! It might be something useful (I'm sure Hellgate has the same interest from passerbyers).

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life