relax

Author Topic: Green Market 07  (Read 29782 times)

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
Re: Green Market 07
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2007, 11:01:35 AM »
Also, in terms of parking, for Athens Square there's the schoolyard next door and one around the corner on 30th street.  If the market is on a weekend they could perhaps use that to park the trucks during the day. 

Great point, Gretchen!  I wasn't aware of that parking. 

mcdirk, thanks for the final info on the time.  6pm works well for me; I'll see you then!

Offline Jonathan

• Senator
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2007, 12:04:12 PM »
I'll be there at 6pm.

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2007, 12:24:43 PM »
Possible conflict, but I hope to make it.

Offline belle

• Council Member
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2007, 04:02:09 PM »
First, I'm so glad there is an effort to get a Greenmarket to Astoria. I'm working to start up the Astoria CSA and have been speaking with some businness owners around 30th and here's some info I gathered that will help us get a greenmarket:

1) Many, if not most, of the members on the Community Board are local business owners. I was specifically told by a high ranking officer (as I handed out my CSA fliers) that there is NO WAY a greenmarket will make it to Athens Park. He told me they will vote it down.
2) I pushed, pointing out that Union Sq. has turned into a shopping mecca for produce and it could have the same effect here. He replied that Union Sq. super markets are not local-- they are all corporate, making it easier for them to survive, but also they have no ties to the community. Which is why the greenmarket in Union Sq is so effective.

Sorry to be such a downer, but there is hope...

I think as a community if it's something we really want we need to be open to other locations if what I was told is true.

1) There is a HUGE parking lot of Our Lady Blood (or something) on 36th St. and B'way. There are few, maybe 1, local grocery stores and no grocery stores to compete with in that part.
2) There is the Kaufman parking lot on 34th ave and 36th st. Also a school going in nearby and that new grovery store.

Anyway, that's just my heads up and suggestions. I also think moving the greenmarket between the N/W AND the R/V/G stop will make it more appealing to more of the community, esp those that would have interest in this (ie more of the "newer" Astoria population-- those who don't have businesses or ties to them).

I hope to be there Wed to hear how this goes but if I'm not able to make it, please someone post a summation of what happens.

Offline Gretchen

• Resident
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2007, 05:00:54 PM »
First, I'm so glad there is an effort to get a Greenmarket to Astoria. I'm working to start up the Astoria CSA and have been speaking with some businness owners around 30th and here's some info I gathered that will help us get a greenmarket:

1) Many, if not most, of the members on the Community Board are local business owners. I was specifically told by a high ranking officer (as I handed out my CSA fliers) that there is NO WAY a greenmarket will make it to Athens Park. He told me they will vote it down.
2) I pushed, pointing out that Union Sq. has turned into a shopping mecca for produce and it could have the same effect here. He replied that Union Sq. super markets are not local-- they are all corporate, making it easier for them to survive, but also they have no ties to the community. Which is why the greenmarket in Union Sq is so effective.

Sorry to be such a downer, but there is hope...

I think as a community if it's something we really want we need to be open to other locations if what I was told is true.

1) There is a HUGE parking lot of Our Lady Blood (or something) on 36th St. and B'way. There are few, maybe 1, local grocery stores and no grocery stores to compete with in that part.
2) There is the Kaufman parking lot on 34th ave and 36th st. Also a school going in nearby and that new grovery store.

That is a downer about the community board.  On the other hand, it sort of gets my back up.  Competition is the soul of free enterprise.  If they're worried about their vegetables being upstaged by farm fresh produce in the swimsuit competition maybe they should go to the gym rather than trying to lock their opponent in a closet. 

That said, Whole Foods and Trader Joes came to Union Square long after the farmers market and as I recall the farmers were none too pleased about the potential threat those stores posed to their livelihood.  I think they've done ok in the long run.  Ultimately there is no substitute for being able to talk to the person who grew the food and that is something you can't do at a grocery store.  And I do think that stores and farmers markets can coexist.  I suspect that many of the people organizing CSAs and trying to get this market together aren't really buying vegetables on 30th Ave at this point anyway.  In which case the market would bring more shoppers to the area who might then buy things not available at the market in the stores nearby.

The name of the church is Most Precious Blood.  There are small grocery stores on Broadway that might be just as opposed to having a market there as the ones on 30th Ave but it's worth a try.  I'm unfamiliar with the Kaufman area, but it seems the Astoria CSA pickup is over there and one of the benefits to Athens Square (from my point of view) is that it is in between the two CSA pickups, and also very near the Triboro bridge for upstate farmers, which also minimizes traffic through the rest of Astoria.

I really wish I could be at this meeting on Wednesday but I have a meeting in Manhattan until 7.  Please post highlights here.
Wherever you go, there you are...

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2007, 12:54:42 AM »
*bump* 
this is tonight, Wednesday!
Hope folks can make it.

Offline jayme

• Senator
  • friends of mine
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2007, 02:49:59 PM »
I'll be there.

6pm Cafe Bar.

These are pigs.
See francis's friends for kitties.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2007, 03:19:02 PM »
so far I have:

McDirk
JoePocky + 1
MegC
Jonathan
Jayme
MandaT
Belle
Rachel780
Bookminstrel
Enigmacat
Gretchen
Trub

Any others? 

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2007, 03:42:45 PM »
I am sadly out, I got my days mixed up and I have a conflict.

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2007, 05:12:16 PM »
I wish I could go, but I'm still working.  I am really interested in seeing a Green Market come to Astoria though.  Please keep us posted on developments, and if there's anything we can do to help!

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2007, 11:18:40 PM »
The meeting was productive and we should have a report and action items soon!

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2007, 07:09:04 AM »
After meeting with the CENYC people, the prospect of having a Greenmarket is even more exciting!  Was great to see jayme, Jonathan, and mcdirk there, voicing support.  Looking forward to next steps.

Offline Gretchen

• Resident
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2007, 09:37:19 AM »
I wish I could have been there.  I'm on the edge of my seat to know what happened and what our next steps are.
Wherever you go, there you are...

Offline jayme

• Senator
  • friends of mine
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2007, 10:37:42 AM »
We will have next steps/plan of action Saturday if not before.

Basically it's proposal > community board committee (approve/deny) > community board meeting (May) (approve/deny) > Greenmarket opening July 1

These are pigs.
See francis's friends for kitties.

Offline belle

• Council Member
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2007, 12:41:03 PM »
It makes me nervous to see "Community Board" up there esp since I last spoke with a man on that board. Yipes.

Are we still looking for Athens Park or were other locations discussed?

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life