relax

Author Topic: Green Market 07  (Read 29781 times)

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
Re: Green Market 07
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2007, 10:29:37 PM »
They (Council on the Environment) tried to get community board approval to move it to Athens Square, but did not get support.  I understand Councilmember Vallone, Jr. supports moving the Greenmarket to Athens Square, but haven't verified that with his office yet.

Offline belle

• Council Member
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2007, 12:40:03 AM »
I have a friend who works for Gioia and even though they don't represent us, says she'll put in a good word (Sunnyside is also attempting to start up a greenmarket)

My only concern with the 28th-- Astoria CSA is holding a Member Drive/ Q&A at Cafe Bar on the 27th or 28th with our farmers. We've been talking to the owners of CB (since it's our drop point) and I would slightly afraid if these dates overlap people might want to be at both (me) or get confused. We will keep you posted as to when our farmers give a green light to what date is best for them.

Offline MandaT

• Mayor
  • My ride.
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2007, 11:22:43 AM »
Hrm, I might like to come to this meeting - but 6 pm is going to be way too early for me to make it. I'm assuming we're at the mercy of the council on the environment folks though.

Please keep us updated on any developments!

Offline Rachel780

• Council Member
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2007, 12:38:33 PM »
I'm planning to come too, but 6pm is also too early for me - will try to be there by 6:30 if I can.

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2007, 01:03:35 PM »
Can we get the meeting time changed to slightly later, mcdirk?

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2007, 07:19:18 PM »
I'll ask - they were hard to pin down on times and dates though!

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2007, 10:46:45 PM »
Thanks, mcdirk.  I understand where you are coming from with regard to scheduling!  Just let us know what happens.  I can make 6pm, though, no prob.

BookMinstrel

« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2007, 03:12:34 PM »
I will also try to be there!

Offline Gretchen

• Resident
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2007, 02:53:39 PM »
I don't think I can make this meeting (at least not until later) but I'm very interested in bringing a greenmarket to Athens Square.  As far as the loading and unloading issue goes, there is a greenmarket in front of St Marks Church in the East Village with similiar issues and they manage to make it work.  I think Athens Square would be great for the people already in the area, it would attract more shoppers to the existing businesses, it would be great for the farmers because there is already so much foot traffic there (the location on 31st and 14th is out of the way for anyone who doesn't live right around there, no public transportation etc.) and wonderful for all the urban kids who don't get access to farmers.  Perhaps I'm naive but isn't the community board supposed to represent the community, not just the businesses?  It seems to me that there is quite an interest in better produce in general in this community (see CSA threads) and one day a week of a farmers market is more likely to energize the area rather than threaten the existing vendors.
Wherever you go, there you are...

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2007, 03:01:23 PM »
I plan to be at this meeting on the 28th.

I'd be curious to know how the greenmarket at St Marks Church in the EV handles their parking issues.  I understand there is a similar situation in Jackson Heights and they have managed to make it work, too.  So, my hope is that my earlier observation about parking will be proven way wrong. :)

I was just at Athens Square for the recent Vigil last weekend and was looking at the space and location.  It really is in the middle of things, which is cool.  It was covered in snow, which made things look smaller, but it would be a wonderful location for a greenmarket.

What is the final decision on the time of this meeting?  6 or 6:30?

Offline trub

• Resident
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2007, 03:43:44 PM »
Yeah, I hope to be there too.  Is there gonna be a way to identify the green market people or hopefully it'll be a big group and I'll spot it that way.

Another thing we can consider, is to probably talk to homeowner's groups or other community based orgs and tell them that this will increase the value of the neighb or whatever.  I'm just desperate to get a green market in the hood.

Offline Jonathan

• Senator
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2007, 04:00:02 PM »
Location idea.  There is a closed auto repair station diagonally across the street from Cafe bar on 34th ave and 36th street.  Would that be big enough for a green market?

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2007, 04:17:18 PM »
Location idea.  There is a closed auto repair station diagonally across the street from Cafe bar on 34th ave and 36th street.  Would that be big enough for a green market?
Who owns the property?
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! â€”Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Gretchen

• Resident
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2007, 10:28:30 AM »
Most of the greenmarkets I can think of are on city property or in the parks.  I think there would be insurance/financial and access issues to having one on private property.  And frankly an old auto repair lot just sounds unappetizing.  Granted, I haven't seen the space, but I can't think of a market that isn't in a park.  Also, in terms of parking, for Athens Square there's the schoolyard next door and one around the corner on 30th street.  If the market is on a weekend they could perhaps use that to park the trucks during the day.  Also there's a basketball court behind the park for added selling space &/or parking &/or a place where farmers could set up and have their trucks right there.  That would limit the number of farmers but it is another possible space to use.
Wherever you go, there you are...

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2007, 10:39:59 AM »
Sorry to be slow - we're still in budget season.  The meeting is on, but it's at 6 p.m. still, sorry about that.  I think they'll be able to stay until 7 p.m.  I hope that helps.  It's still at Cafe Bar at 36th Street at 34th Avenue.
See folks there.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life