relax

Author Topic: Green Market 07  (Read 29053 times)

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
Re: Green Market 07
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 03:07:40 PM »
I say even shut down Newtown Avenue between 33rd and 31st Streets.  That would be a nice little area to have a pedestrian/green market thing happening.
I don't think the 3 green grocers on 30th Avenue or Key Food would be too keen on *that* idea. As much as I would love to have a convenient, local, year-round green market, I don't want it to be at the risk of hurting ANY local businesses, and I guess that even means Trade Fair.
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! â€”Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 03:48:21 PM »
Athens Square is a shaky choice.  There is no place for the trucks to load/unload.  This is a HUGE issue, and understandably so. I doubt the 30th Ave business people and especially the greengrocers will support the presence of a greenmarket.

The reason Astoria Park works is because of the parking lot and good vehicle access.  One of my fantasies is to have Shore Blvd shut down (temporarily) for something like a greenmarket.  I do understand how some people would find it to be a bit of a haul to Astoria Park (I am not one of them, though). 

That road between 30th and Newtown is intriguing, I must say.  Same problem might happen with regard to the greengrocers etc.

What other spaces have people thought of?

Offline jayme

• Senator
  • friends of mine
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 03:50:36 PM »
I'm not sure Athens is the best solution -- but I do think the Union Square Greenmarket may be evidence that bringing in vendors may not hurt local businesses but help them.  A greenmarket attracts people to a location and the amenities it offers -- beyond just the green goods.  Look at the Whole Food/Trader Joes that opened up well *after* the Union Square Greenmarket became a Union Square mainstay.

30th Ave food vendors (fish market(s), Trade Fair, produce stands) are a diverse and valuable resource.  I think bringing more food to that area would further reinforce the area as a food mecca rather than pull business away.

Greenmarkets also attract people with very specific needs -- and have very specific product availability.  Seasonal organic local produce is generally a bit more expensive, less diverse, and entirely dependent upon weather/season -- regular fruit/veggie markets are cheaper, with more stuff, and tomatoes in winter.

I think the two many market options in the area would be complemented by a greenmarket!

cheers,
Jayme
These are pigs.
See francis's friends for kitties.

Offline wasabisam

• Senator
  • Missing Astoria
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2007, 04:12:00 PM »
I'd love it if there was a Green Market in Astoria. Usually the one in Union Square is a destination for us on Saturdays, but wouldn't mind an alternative sometimes. I'd totally go if it were in Astoria Park, too. Could use the exercise, the view of Manhattan and the water, and good local agriculture.
Chief Wiggum: Uh, no, you got the wrong number. This is 9-1... 2.
My vegan recipes blog

Offline belle

• Council Member
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2007, 02:11:39 AM »
How about around the 36th ave area? Maybe see if Kaufman would let us borrow some parking lot space once a week? There aren't many groceries around there, it's close to the W/N/R/V/and sometimes G. Or the Sacred Blood Church parking lot always looks empty on B'way and 37th, also not very many groceries around.

Offline nyctwinmum

• Resident
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2007, 09:54:34 AM »
There's a Green Market on the weekends (not sure exactly when) on Roosevelt Island.  Might be a good idea to scope it out.

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2007, 10:00:29 AM »
I looked at the cenyc.org greenmarket map and it's not listed for 2007.  Does it take a break during winter?  If so, maybe last year was its last hurrah?

Offline anzubird

• Mayor
  • the downside of commuting
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2007, 04:04:09 PM »
No the farmer's market on RI is still there, saturday mornings (and it keeps getting bigger), but I don't think it is an official "greenmarket"

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2007, 04:14:03 PM »
anzubird, thank you for the clarification.  How many vendors do you think are there each saturday?

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2007, 04:17:44 PM »
Marcel told me he (or his staff) can come out to Astoria on Wednesday, March 7.  Would that work for folks?  Maybe a 6:30 p.m. meeting?  Where would be a good place to hold it?  Maybe Cafe Bar?

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2007, 05:33:50 PM »
the 7th ought to work for me. And Cafe bar should be fine.

Offline megc

• President
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2007, 06:09:00 PM »
Marcel told me he (or his staff) can come out to Astoria on Wednesday, March 7.  Would that work for folks?  Maybe a 6:30 p.m. meeting?  Where would be a good place to hold it?  Maybe Cafe Bar?

mcdirk, I am very interested in knowing what happens at this meeting.  I can make the meeting date but am concerned about spreading myself too thin these days.  Can you please post a summary of what comes from the meeting, here?  I know there are already two CENYC-supported markets in the Astoria/LIC area, but my understanding is that they are a bit anemic with regard to customers.  Would love to see a healthy, thriving greenmarket in this part of Queens.  When I lived in Berkeley, the farmer's market there was held on a one block that shut down for the morning and afternoon.  The beauty of that block was that no residences were there, it was just city buildings that were inactive for the most part on the weekends.  That way it did not directly inconvenience any residents/residential parking. I have been wondering if there is such a place here in Astoria/LIC.  Parking lots are good, too; where my mom lives, they use a City parking lot for the Saturday.  People love it and it is very safe.

Good luck at that meeting and perhaps I will be there! Otherwise, I will look forward to hearing about the results from you.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2007, 06:14:08 PM »
I think the meeting would be to talk with CENYC and see what they are able and are willing to do to have a more vigorous and well used Greenmarket in Astoria.  Marcel Van Ooyen, their Executive Director, was very open to the idea of moving one to Athens Square Park, but said when they'd proposed that, the Community Board was not open to the idea and that the 30th Avenue business community was opposed as well.  This meeting would be to show CENYC that there is some support for that move, to suggest other possible sites and see if they are open to them, and to find out how we can help them get us a better and bigger Greenmarket.  I'm sure we can add items to the agenda if people have other items!

Offline anzubird

• Mayor
  • the downside of commuting
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2007, 10:27:12 AM »
anzubird, thank you for the clarification.  How many vendors do you think are there each saturday?

I haven't been in a while,  but I think there are usually one or two veggie vendors and some other stuff. But they have a lot of veggies.

Offline helen

• Resident
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2007, 03:13:55 PM »
Thanks Jayme directing me to this conversation! 

I think if you want to take a look at how a farmers market works in an Athens Square type of environment try taking a look at the farmers market adjacent to Travers Park in Jackson Heights on Sundays.  It's an example of a Queens parks with an existing block and half worth of vendors in a fairly central location where parking is at a premium.  The Friends of Travers Park helped to advocate for the farmers market there a few years ago.

Glad to hear that you're meeting with CENYC!  Are there plans to present post meeting ideas to the Community Board?

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life