relax

Author Topic: Green Market 07  (Read 29341 times)

AstoriaK

Re: Green Market 07
« Reply #120 on: May 26, 2008, 12:00:50 AM »
I've always found this handy:
http://www.cenyc.org/files/gmkt/map.pdf

Offline skoullias

• Resident
Re: Green Market
« Reply #121 on: January 31, 2011, 09:24:50 PM »
Hey all,

This is a plug to "like" the Queens Greenmarkets facebook page, and -- regardless of whether you're a Facebook user or not -- to visit Queens first year round market in Jackson Heights every Sunday 8am-3pm (vendors have been there this entire month despite the brutal cold). It's a ten minute bike ride from Astoria (I recommend 31st Ave as the preferred route to get there and back).

Support the people bringing you cellared and fresh greenhouse vegetables, fruits and juices (inc. hot cider), delicious pastries and artisan breads (the latter which is an investment in entrepreneurial activities of immigrant women), farmstead cheeses, local honey, wild mushrooms, wild local seafood, pastured poultry and meats, and wine from local vineyards. Textiles recycling, too.

And don't hold your breath or anything, but Astoria might just be getting a new market this coming season.

Fingers crossed.

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #122 on: January 31, 2011, 11:39:58 PM »
The Jackson Heights market is really great.  I absolutely jealous of it and wish that Astoria would get one too.  All the ones we do have that are even remotely like it are way too far in very inconvenient areas. 

Offline skoullias

• Resident
« Reply #123 on: May 02, 2012, 08:02:43 PM »
Socrates is pretty decent, and in a great (though not necessarily convenient for all) location. The Sunnyside market is also great, and a really quick bike ride from southern Astoria.

Offline westernqnscomposts

• Tourist
  • A mean brown-and-green munching machine!!
    • Western Queens Compost Initiative
« Reply #124 on: July 31, 2012, 04:17:45 PM »

The Jackson Heights market is really great.  I absolutely jealous of it and wish that Astoria would get one too.  All the ones we do have that are even remotely like it are way too far in very inconvenient areas.

And I don't know if you know this but the market in  Jackson Heights (34th Ave b/t 77 & 78 Streets) has a wonderful compost collection program. It is a great way to fully utilize your vegetable's potential, even the parts you're not eating!!

Drop-offs are accepted on:

Sundays from 9am to 12pm

There is one that may be closer to a lot of other in Sunnyside (
Skillman Ave b/t 42 & 43 Streets) and they accept drop-offs until the 17th of November on:

Saturdays from 9am - 12pm

check out http://bignyc.org/western-queens-compost-initiative for information on what to compost and the WQCI
Contact us!!

email: compost@bignyc.org
telephone: 718-777-0132 x6

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life