relax

Author Topic: Green Market 07  (Read 32125 times)

Offline belle

• Council Member
Re: Green Market 07
« Reply #105 on: July 26, 2007, 01:31:15 AM »
Hello??????

Is there ANY news on this? I am printing out the petition, possibly w/ a little rewording, and bringing it to Astoria CSA's distro tomorrow at Cafe Bar. That is... if it's not too late.

If you want to come by and sign the paper version. Please stop by our distribution at Cafe Bar (36th St. and 34th ave), Thursday, July 26, 5pm-7:30pm, even if you are not an Astoria CSA member you can sign this petition to get a greenmarket centrally located in Astoria.

Also, please someone provide an address I can send this to once it's done! I was going to make copies and send it to Vallone and Maloney. Why not push it and show we want it. Maybe even Just Food (who organizes CSAs can help us).

I would really LOVE to see a greenmarket, despite being a CSA member. The more local, organic produce, the better! Esp if we can get our greenmarket to accept foodstamps. Now I'm dreaming... (Does anyone know the logistics of this??? I know the Harlem greenmarket accepts and there are enough folks in the neighborhood that could benefit from it.).

If not... I guess Gretchen and I will open our co-op!

Offline Gretchen

• Resident
« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2007, 09:43:37 AM »
I know there are farmers at Union Square that accept food stamps as well.  I don't know if it's all of them or just some.  It may be as simple as having a credit card machine and hooking it up to the service. Food stamps are not actually documents anymore, they're on plastic like everything else.  (When were they actually ever stamps?)
Wherever you go, there you are...

Offline ginger

• Tourist
« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2007, 11:52:28 AM »
Does the CSA distribution happen every Thursday at Cafe Bar? I'd love to stop by to sign the petition tonight.

Offline belle

• Council Member
« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2007, 02:41:00 PM »
Hi Ginger,

Yeah, we're there every Thursday 5-7:30PM at Cafe Bar. The petition will be there again today and since I seem to be incurring an echo on where to send the finished petition to... maybe even next week.

Offline Gretchen

• Resident
« Reply #109 on: August 02, 2007, 11:39:08 PM »
We didn't get the petition until about halfway through because we didn't have our bin.  Come back next week and it should be there.
Wherever you go, there you are...

Offline RoverNYC

• Council Member
    • http://flickr.com/photos/judsonkniffen/
« Reply #110 on: August 13, 2007, 11:50:50 AM »
Has anyone visited the Astoria greenmarket on wednesdays yet? Any reports??

Offline Debbie

• Senator
« Reply #111 on: August 13, 2007, 03:48:21 PM »
Where is the Astoria Green Market on Wednesdays?  I am only familiar with the on on 31st Ave around 14th Street.  I believe that one is on Thursdays.

Offline jayme

• Senator
  • friends of mine
« Reply #112 on: August 13, 2007, 03:55:08 PM »
Debbie - that's the market and it's on Wednesdays.
These are pigs.
See francis's friends for kitties.

Offline jayme

• Senator
  • friends of mine
« Reply #113 on: August 13, 2007, 03:56:06 PM »
From Greenmarket organizers:

Wednesdays, 8-5(ish)

July-November

14th Street between 31st Avenue & 31st Road

As of right now there are only 2 stands, Alex’s Tomato & Migliorelli Farm – both with fruits and vegetables (Corn, tomatoes, cherries, peaches, broccoli, peppers, beans, cucumbers, greens).

These are pigs.
See francis's friends for kitties.

LyndaK

« Reply #114 on: September 01, 2007, 03:18:20 PM »
I think the 30th Ave/Newtown location would be perfect as it would be easlily closed off (only the backs of buildings face it) and it would serve those of us who live on or East of Steinway - the most underserved part of Astoria!

Offline belle

• Council Member
« Reply #115 on: September 07, 2007, 09:16:59 PM »
Oooo... how about in the playground of that school on 30th ave around Newtown/ Crescent???  This would work well, esp if it's a weekend.... (I think)

I've been to the one over on 14th street last year. There were 3 stands there then and it was sort of sad. Like you felt you had to buy a little something from everyone b/c no one was there and you felt weird... Quality was eh too.... I'd much prefer a larger weekend market. The one on 14th ends so early you can't get over there before it's done!!!

Offline RoverNYC

• Council Member
    • http://flickr.com/photos/judsonkniffen/
« Reply #116 on: September 12, 2007, 01:37:33 PM »
I just came from the green market on 14th st and 31st ave - it was very busy. Lots of latino mothers and children, plus what appeared to be a muslim construction crew! The produce was great also. Hopefully they will be able to grow, but I was happy to see that real locals were shopping there.

sandramort

« Reply #117 on: March 17, 2008, 10:55:28 AM »
How do you get to the greenmarket?  I cant imagine you would walk from N/W on 31st street all the way to 12th street & back w/ food...

onefishdoofish

« Reply #118 on: April 21, 2008, 03:11:14 PM »
Anyone know if the greenmarket is back up and running for the spring yet? anyone been there yet to see what's available? Maybe I'll take a li'l bike ride if not....

DeniseB

« Reply #119 on: May 09, 2008, 04:44:20 PM »
That would be great!
We shlepp into Union Square Market weekends but would prefer to stay here in lovely Astoria.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life