relax

Author Topic: Green Market 07  (Read 29342 times)

Offline JoePocky

• Activist
  • www.JoeSaidSo.com
    • JoeSaidSo.com
Green Market 07
« on: October 04, 2006, 10:27:08 AM »
Ok folks,

So whats it gonna take to have a green market in, say Athens Square Park, in 2007? Do we need to get the ball rolling now? Any ideas?

-JoeMo :)
I believe I was a Japanese school girl in a past life.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
Re: Green Market 07
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 11:07:14 AM »
All my calls and emails to the Council on the Environment have been ignored.  I will stop by in person next time I'm downtown and see if I can get their attention that way.

Offline Rachel780

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 10:58:25 PM »
That's disappointing that calls weren't returned. They have an email link on their website; I doubt they'd be more receptive to email than phone calls but I can email and try.

I'd LOVE to have a greenmarket at Athens Square Park; I'd get on board with trying to make this happen (if we can get an answer or figure out how).

Offline jennifer

• Senator
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 11:02:56 PM »
To get a greenmarket into a neighborhood - you need to get the support and approval of the local businesses.   I haven't asked any of them - but I just don't think that the string of veggie stands and the supermarket are going to jump on the greenmarket bandwagon.   :cry:

Offline Rachel780

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 11:24:09 PM »
I wonder if they'd also think it's too close to the other tiny Greenmarket in Astoria - 31st Ave and 14th St, I think? I think it's only there for part of the year.

Oh well, I'm going to still email and see....

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 12:16:36 AM »
I ran into Marcel Van Ooyen of the Council on the Environment and they are very interested in moving the greenmarket to Athens Square Park, but have had a negative reception from both the Community Board and the 30th Avenue business organization.  He did seem interested in talking about it.  Would folks be up for a meeting with him and his staff?

Offline jayme

• Senator
  • friends of mine
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 08:54:29 PM »
I'd be happy to.  Might even have some vendor connections.
These are pigs.
See francis's friends for kitties.

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 09:02:03 PM »
How big is Athens Square Park?  What is it about the site that is attractive?  I can't place it in my mind for some reason...

Offline urrisgirl

• Senator
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 09:38:14 PM »
It is about two blocks away from the 30th Ave train station - if I remember correctly it is across the street from the Astoria Federal Savings Bank and diagonally across from the Trade Fair. It isn't an overly large park, but it does get a lot of visitors- especially in the summer when they have events.

Offline jayme

• Senator
  • friends of mine
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 09:44:54 PM »
How about Astoria Park -- there's a parking lot!
These are pigs.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 09:45:56 PM »
I think they're trying to move the existing Greenmarket closer to the major population hubs.  I think Astoria Park could be a location, but it's not as centrally located as Athens Square Park.

Offline jayme

• Senator
  • friends of mine
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 09:52:48 PM »
I'd still love to be on the green market... enthusiast(?) panel.

I can meet weekdays/weeknights/weekends.  I just need a briefing on who we're talking to.
These are pigs.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 09:53:51 PM »
I'll email Marcel and see if he's up for coming out to Astoria with some of his staff.

Offline belle

• Council Member
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 02:22:32 PM »
Astoria Park is too far from the subway, especially for those of us that are without a car. Athens Park is a visible location to passerbys and is next to a school, so you'd probably get some overflow from families stopping by. It's actually fairly large. I mean, it's not Union Square size, but there is no need for something that size in Astoria. It's also pretty centrally located, only 1 block from the 30th ave stop which would be accessible to people from southern Astoria, not just the Ditmars area.

I'd try to meet up. Let us know when, where and the agenda.

Offline trub

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 03:00:32 PM »
That street between 30th Avenue and Newtown Avenue is also a good place to do it, if Athens Square is an issue.  Do you know what the issue was?  I say even shut down Newtown Avenue between 33rd and 31st Streets.  That would be a nice little area to have a pedestrian/green market thing happening.  Anyway, I'll post again in another year!

Here's where I'm talking about:
http://wikimapia.org/#y=40766762&x=-73920393&z=18&l=0&m=a&v=1

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life