relax

Author Topic: Looking for 2-3 bedroom apartment near 31st and Ditmars  (Read 2941 times)

Offline amandadroste

• Resident Visa
Looking for 2-3 bedroom apartment near 31st and Ditmars
« on: September 19, 2006, 06:13:35 PM »
We have been living in a wonderful 3 bedroom apartment near 31st Street and Ditmars Blvd. for 7 years but are being kicked out due to the buildings sale. We would love to find an apartment footsteps from this one because we LOVE the neigborhood! If anyone knows of a moderate/cheap place for rent in this area, that may or may not be on the market yet for the next coming months, please let me know.

We are:
Amanda: responsible & employed 20something
Joe: Amanda's brother, responsible & employed 20something
Possible 3rd.

We pay on time, are quiet & tidy (and handy, which has helped with this old place!), and do not have pets.

Thanks!
Amanda

Amandasband@yahoo.com

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
Re: Looking for 2-3 bedroom apartment near 31st and Ditmars
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 06:57:43 PM »
. . . but are being kicked out due to the buildings sale.
Are there 6 or more apartments in your current building?
Did you have a lease?
How long did they give you to evacuate?

Sad.  :-(
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! â€”Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline firelight79

• Running for Governor
    • Fan Firelight Jewelry & Designs on Facebook!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 07:29:52 PM »
hey amanda
that blows. but nycmauser is right. check your lease and depending on the buildings status there may not be a legal reason to evict you and your bro. owner occupancy is however legit, so if the buildings new owner is ousting you so that their fam can move in its legit. but if they are ousting you simply because they bought it and feel like renovating it to make more money they can't do that.
post some info about the building, nycmacuser is a wealth of info and i can see what i can dig up.

ps-when are you gonna book a gig in the neighborhood?
(we'll be helping out a future rock star)

Offline mirki2

• Senator
    • mirichronicles
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 09:47:48 PM »
I would also suggest contacting Barbara Boyle from the Astoria Housing Coalition
http://centralastoria.org/services.htm
seek peace and pursue it.

Offline ssewell

• Citizen
    • Serious Fun
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 10:25:39 AM »
I don't know what price range you're looking for, but I'll copy here what I wrote to another person looking for apts in the area:

There is a group of apts building on 21st Ave (one ave block from the Ditmars train station on 31st Street) from 28th Street all the way down to 21st street.  They are recently renovating and are all NO FEE--the management company is renting directly.  They have hardwood floors and are a decent size, and you can find some with really nice light. One bedrooms are  going for $1200 up to 3 beds for 1800, I think.  To contact the management, call 718-726-4000 ask for Shannon for Central Astoria (above 21st Street).  I've been told by a tenant in one of the Crescent St buildings that the owners are planning to go co-op and will offer tenants a chance to buy.  It also looks like the buildings getting the most renovation are between Crescent Street and 28th Street on 21st Avenue--which is a lovely tree-lined block across from St. Johns Prep.  My friend would not recommend the buildings West of 21st Street, which is owned by the same company, same number, different manager.  Good luck.

Offline amandadroste

• Resident Visa
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 08:50:45 PM »
Thank you all so much for your advice ( So sweet to know you remember I'm a rockstar! :) ). Well, its a tricky situation, and I'm getting my info sort of 3rd hand. Perhaps the owner isn't going to sell now, but he still does want to kick us out to renovate none-the-less. I have been told that he thinks he can split up our large 3 bed into two smaller apts to make more cash, I've been told he just wants to renovate so he can charge double, I've been told we have 3 months, I've been told we have 6...but again, all 3rd hand. We've been on a month-to-month lease since 1999 and I've never actually met the owner of the building! We live above a store (we're the 2nd, and top floor) and have paid our rent to the Store owners who technically sub-lease the upstairs to us. Apparently the building owner is kicking the store out too, so he can renovate both floors. So, thanks again for your advice, but Im sure my 'month-to-month' lease pretty much screws me out of any real tenants rights.
Thanks ssewell for the apt. ideas, i will be checking them out for sure, and hey, firelight79 just so happens im having band auditions October 3rd at Soundworks.....so look for me to play out sooooon!! ( I tried to post the audition notice up here but kept getttin' an error message? ) Well, spread the word on that if you can! Send em to my myspace page for all the details www.myspace.com/amandadroste or they can just hit me with an email amandasband@yahoo.com

Thanks again everyone! Keep those apt idea's coming if you have any!

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life