relax

Author Topic: boxing  (Read 3021 times)

Offline rob

• Activist
boxing
« on: September 10, 2006, 08:04:27 PM »
anyone a member of a local astoria gym that has decent boxing classes? (not just boxing for fitness, but some more advanced stuff).  right now I'm a member of NYSC but they don't offer much (the fitness boxing is fine, but limited).  not interested in kickboxing, just your standard pugilism  :-P

thanks, rob

Astorians

boxing
« on: September 10, 2006, 08:04:27 PM »

Offline Jtrane

• Governor
    • http://www.joshirvingjazz.com
Re: boxing
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 09:28:25 PM »
Check out the Rock.  They have a full sized ring, and real boxing instructors.
Trying is the first step to failure - Homer Simpson
www.joshirvingjazz.com
www.myspace.com/joshirving

Offline billyboy

• Activist
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 09:54:56 AM »
Rob, I'm not aware of any explicitly boxing gyms in Astoria -- which surely doesn't mean they aren't there!  A lot of times, boxing gyms in the 718s are neighborhood deals, or tied-in with the Police Athletic League.  Most of the little gyms I see in the neighborhood are focused on martial arts courses and don't mention boxing in their ads/displays.

You should ask yourself how far you want to go with it, because some of the NYSC boxing instructors are pretty good and will give you a solid training in the basics, albeit without contact.  Usually every fall they sponsor a "boxing camp" which costs extra, but goes the extra yard in terms of giving people solid instructions on how to box.  I took one of those inititally, then started getting into regular classes afterwards.  I've been training with Jose "Kid" Avila for years now and always get an incredible workout with him -- I could let you know his schedule, if interested, although I know he doesn't come out to Astoria.  I'd say the main problem with most NYSC boxing instructors is that they focus on military-style calesthenics to break people down physically, but don't offer enough basic boxing instruction.

If you want to get really serious about boxing, I'd go with Kingsway or Church Street in Manhattan, or Gleasons in Brooklyn -- all of which train professional fighters and offer sparring opportunities if you're so inclined.  Personally, I did some research on concussions (i.e., getting even one is not good ... can't imagine what it's like to be Wayne Chrebet and have eight ...) after getting my bell rung very badly once and pretty much decided the only way I was going to keep on sparring was if I got paid to do so.  It just aint worth it to take serious head shots from someone who knows how to throw a punch unless you're good enough to win titles of some sort.

A lot of your enjoyment/reason to keep boxing will depend on your instructor/trainer, and good ones are hard to find.  From what I've seen over the years, it's also simply a matter of dedication and showing up a few times a week -- I've seen hundreds of people come and go from Kid's classes over the years, some hanging in there for weeks or months, others walking out 15 minutes into their initial class.  But only a handful keep doing it (and most of them women).  Guys make the mistake of thinking it's a macho/power sport, but for the most part, it's speed, coordination and endurance.  And it's a sport well worth learning, as it provides a usable skill.  :wink:

Offline dp1024fj

• Campaigning for Council
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 10:36:08 AM »
Rob,
31st street and 30ths ave under the train there is one.  E-mail me and I will give you more details.  Also on Steinway and 34th ave there is a HUGE one and I think there is on on B-way near 21st street...

Helpful?

Offline rob

• Activist
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 10:05:03 PM »

You should ask yourself how far you want to go with it, because some of the NYSC boxing instructors are pretty good and will give you a solid training in the basics, albeit without contact.  Usually every fall they sponsor a "boxing camp" which costs extra, but goes the extra yard in terms of giving people solid instructions on how to box.  I took one of those inititally, then started getting into regular classes afterwards.  I've been training with Jose "Kid" Avila for years now and always get an incredible workout with him -- I could let you know his schedule, if interested, although I know he doesn't come out to Astoria.  I'd say the main problem with most NYSC boxing instructors is that they focus on military-style calesthenics to break people down physically, but don't offer enough basic boxing instruction.

Wow, thanks.

Truthfully, I have no idea how far I'm going to go with it.  I took a fitness boxing class with Yvonne at the NYSC Astoria and really enjoyed it, so I started to incorporate jumping rope, shadowboxing and hitting the heavy bag into my workouts.  (I'm teaching myself basic punches and combinations, but that's really not going to cut it in the long run).  I will investigate the NYSC "boxing camp" and let you know how it goes...

I feel I'm light years away from actually getting into the ring with anyone; I primarily want to do this to get "lean and mean" and to learn some basic boxing skills.  And punching.  I love punching  :-D

Offline rob

• Activist
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 10:09:13 PM »
Rob,
31st street and 30ths ave under the train there is one.  E-mail me and I will give you more details.  Also on Steinway and 34th ave there is a HUGE one and I think there is on on B-way near 21st street...

Helpful?

I can't see your email address: can you just email me the info at rob.bruno@yahoo.com.  Is this the place on Steinway?  http://www.combinedmartialarts.com/  They have trial classes so I may do that.

Thanks, Rob

Offline dp1024fj

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 08:32:21 AM »
Rob,
you have the right web site.   If you want a partner to go with I have been wanting to do that for a while....

I would go with you.

e-mail me jacob.artz@gmail.com

Offline billyboy

• Activist
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 10:14:10 AM »
I took a fitness boxing class with Yvonne at the NYSC Astoria and really enjoyed it, ... And punching.  I love punching  :-D

I've thought about taking that class (on Fridays?), but I got one major problem with it -- the Astoria gym has no heavy bags!  (I know they have one on the second floor -- but that's obviously meant for one person and not a class.)  I'd imagine she has you doing a ton of calesthenics, jump rope and maybe some combination work with the pads?  At least I hope that's the case.  Some of the NYSC instructors make their classes 80% calesthenics/20% boxing, which I don't like.

I haven't checked their schedule, but if they also have any Pre-Season Conditioning (or something like that) classes, you'd be advised to take those for a nasty work-out.  Nothing but really harsh calesthenics and constant motion for an hour -- I've done those a few times, and they're comparable to the boxing workout.  Only issue is that they almost always involve "bear crawls" -- i.e. walking the floor on your hands and feet, which wears you out in a hurry.  Also gets your hands dirty with dried sweat and dust, and makes you feel like an *sshole in boot camp.

In any event, good luck with the place on Steinway -- if they have boxing classes scheduled, it should be tolerable.  My only qualms with martial arts-geared gyms are that they're often over-run with kids taking judo classes and such, and sometimes the regulars put out vibes like the bad guys in The Karate Kid.  Like being trapped in Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger" video.  But for all I know, they could have a great boxing program there run by solid professionals.  Let me know how it goes if you check them out.

Offline Jtrane

• Governor
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 12:24:04 PM »
So there are people that are interested in learning to box, so I assume that there are people that also enjoy watching boxing.  Who here digs boxing on tv?  If so, where do you go for PPV boxing matches?  It seems to be increasingly difficult to find sports bars that show boxing matches.  :?
www.joshirvingjazz.com

Offline dp1024fj

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 01:17:46 PM »
Not into watching on TV just a great work out...

Astorians

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 01:17:46 PM »

Offline rob

• Activist
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 11:55:07 AM »
So there are people that are interested in learning to box, so I assume that there are people that also enjoy watching boxing.  Who here digs boxing on tv?  If so, where do you go for PPV boxing matches?  It seems to be increasingly difficult to find sports bars that show boxing matches.  :?

i liked watching Friday nite fights on ESPN2....but you're right, not much boxing on the tube

Offline rob

• Activist
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 11:58:44 AM »
I've thought about taking that class (on Fridays?), but I got one major problem with it -- the Astoria gym has no heavy bags!  (I know they have one on the second floor -- but that's obviously meant for one person and not a class.)  I'd imagine she has you doing a ton of calesthenics, jump rope and maybe some combination work with the pads?  At least I hope that's the case.  Some of the NYSC instructors make their classes 80% calesthenics/20% boxing, which I don't like.

she uses the stationary bags, which is ok but not like the swinging bag....but you're right, mostly calesthenics, jump rope, shadow boxing, medicine ball, no pads though  ...it's actually not bad for a beginner class and I learned a few decent combinations.

krissykrock

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2006, 10:20:35 AM »
I read that some people might be interested in watching boxing at a bar. McCann's Pub in Astoria on Ditmars Blvd has boxing and most other sporting games to watch.

I found them by chance because I've been looking all over the damn place to find somewhere that offers the UFC fights. This was the only bar I found that shows UFC. I haven't gone yet, but the next UFC fight is Oct. 14. I'm going to try to pop in that night.

Hope this was helpful!!!  :-)

Offline Jtrane

• Governor
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2006, 10:32:19 AM »
I read that some people might be interested in watching boxing at a bar. McCann's Pub in Astoria on Ditmars Blvd has boxing and most other sporting games to watch.

I found them by chance because I've been looking all over the damn place to find somewhere that offers the UFC fights. This was the only bar I found that shows UFC. I haven't gone yet, but the next UFC fight is Oct. 14. I'm going to try to pop in that night.

Hope this was helpful!!!  :-)

I'm into checking out the UFC fights at McCanns.
www.joshirvingjazz.com

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2006, 12:08:37 PM »
There is a place on the Eastside of Steinway, just South of 34th Avenue where they seem to be doing boxing - and large crowds assembled to watch.  I'm not sure of the style or who is running it though.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life