relax

Author Topic: Young Professional Seeks Oct/Nov Move In $1100/max  (Read 4608 times)

Offline jiffy

• Resident
Young Professional Seeks Oct/Nov Move In $1100/max
« on: September 09, 2006, 03:23:16 PM »
Stolen from my craigslist post:

I am a recent college grad who will be moving to NY to start a job as an accountant with a large Manhattan based CPA firm. I am extremely responsible, hard-working, and respectful person. I always pay all of my bills on time. I am very clean and quiet, do not party, smoke, or do any drugs. I do not have any pets except for a couple of fish tanks that I would like to bring with me.

I am looking for a studio or 1 bd apartment in Astoria for around $1000/mo, but up to $1100/mo. I would like to be north of Broadway and no more than a 10 minute walk to the subway stations on 31st St.

No Basement or Garden Apartments.
No Brokers and No Roomates Please!

I am looking for an October or November move in date.  I will be in nyc from the 23rd-29th, and would like to set up to see something then.  I have friends in the area that could check out something for me sooner though.

email me if you have or know of something: acctnyc at yahoo dot com

Thanks!

Ditmartian

Re: Young Professional Seeks Oct/Nov Move In $1100/max
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 04:08:19 PM »
Welcome to the neighborhood.

I presume you've already checked out craigslist for the type of apartment you're looking for. The truth is, most of the listings, if not all, involve some sort of broker fee. That's the reality of this market. Also, you may be hard pressed to find a 1 BR in that price range, especially close to the subway. The rents are going up all over.

If you still want to forego a broker, you could scour the bulletin boards (real, not internet ones) for postings. You'll usually find them in supermarkets and laundrymats. Most of the ones I've seen are for rooms for rent in a house; basically a boarding-room type situation.

Good luck.

ZiP!

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 10:38:53 AM »
No Basement or Garden Apartments.
actually - what's a garden apartment?  i'm curious.

futility

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 11:48:15 AM »
actually - what's a garden apartment?  i'm curious.

"Garden Level" = basement: you look out your windows and see the garden @ eye level.

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 11:59:26 AM »
"Garden Level" = basement: you look out your windows and see the garden @ eye level.
Perhaps the definition has changed since I learned it. I remember a garden apartment being a unit in a complex of low-rise apartment buildings (usually 2–3 walk-up floors) that is part of a lush landscaped environment.
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! —Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline kungfoofool

• Mayor
  • mercenary web developer (pm me for info)
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 12:47:13 PM »
Welcome to the neighborhood.

I presume you've already checked out craigslist for the type of apartment you're looking for. The truth is, most of the listings, if not all, involve some sort of broker fee. That's the reality of this market. Also, you may be hard pressed to find a 1 BR in that price range, especially close to the subway. The rents are going up all over.

If you still want to forego a broker, you could scour the bulletin boards (real, not internet ones) for postings. You'll usually find them in supermarkets and laundrymats. Most of the ones I've seen are for rooms for rent in a house; basically a boarding-room type situation.

Good luck.

My experience could have been singular, of course, but I found a lot of the craigslist no-fee listings to be worth looking at. Granted, my price range was a little higher (but not much), but even after being intimidated by all the posts in the Craigslist housing forum, I was able to line up at least one or two no-fee apartments to look at every day.

All of the apartments that were shown to me by local brokers were pretty much craptacular places that I could have easily found myself.

I think the denizens in the Craigslist housing forum are primarily depressed brokers that are trying to scare customers into calling them (because the NYC market is so scary). If a guy from rural Tennessee can find an apartment, anybody can.
"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time."

Offline jiffy

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 04:27:57 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I realize $1000 - $1100 is a little on the low side, however from what I have seen scanning the craigslist ads, I should be able to find a studio, and possibly but less likely a 1bd.  I am not from the area, but will be comming to NY the 23-29th and hope to check out some apartments then, or at the very least check out some neighborhoods to also consider.  I'd prefer a Nov 1st rental, but I know late September is still a little early to look, so I'll probably be back again in early October to look some more.

As far as brokers go, I have noticed a few people on this board recommend Metropolitan Realtors, so I plan on checking with them and exploring the broker side of things on my own.

Could anyone tell me where are some good grocery stores and laundromats to look for bulletin boards would be?

Also, does anyone know how likely it is to be able to negotiate a lower rent and or broker fee and the best way to go about doing so?  For instance, finding a $1200/mo place and getting it down to $1100.  Part of me thinks that if there are 10 other people also interested in the apartment, I'd probably be unsuccessful at negotiating unless the landlord really liked me.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 04:38:22 PM »
Some of the laundromats on Broadway East of Steinway have bulletin boards, the bookstore at 34th and Broadway has a bulletin board and the C-Town at Broadway and 29th has signs up regularly.

Offline mirki2

• Senator
    • mirichronicles
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 05:15:11 PM »
I was doing home visits on 34th street again between 30th and 31st Ave and I saw a sign up for apartment for rent (it said contact building super). I believe the address was 30-26 34th street but don't quote me on that. It was the second or third building from the mediterranean grocer and it looked like a decent looking building. In any case, the sign was up and it's direct from the building owner so no fee.
seek peace and pursue it.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 05:16:44 PM »
I saw signs that apartments were available on 37th Street, just North of Broadway, East side of the block in the first bigger building and on 28th Street at 35th Avenue, NW corner (though that looked like it might be a broker.

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 05:26:52 PM »
If you have good credit, you should be able to negotiate a lower rent.  I've had good experiences with it.  Good brokers are willing to go to bat for you, bad ones will put you down and make you feel stupid for even thinking of it.  But there are landlords out there who want good, responsible, take care of the place, and pay rent on time tenants.  Talk to your broker.  Negotiate.  It can't hurt.

Offline MandaT

• Mayor
  • My ride.
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2006, 11:16:47 PM »
I was doing home visits on 34th street again between 30th and 31st Ave and I saw a sign up for apartment for rent (it said contact building super). I believe the address was 30-26 34th street but don't quote me on that. It was the second or third building from the mediterranean grocer and it looked like a decent looking building. In any case, the sign was up and it's direct from the building owner so no fee.

Hey, that's my block!  :-)

I was in the same boat when I started looking out here - I would have taken a studio but didn't want any basement apartments (and was aiming in your budget, if not lower!). Anyway, I probably did myself the biggest favor by being open to using a broker. Having to pay a fee sucks, but it opens up the selection tremendously. Especially since you're trying to find something so far in advance of the move-in date...

Offline mirki2

• Senator
    • mirichronicles
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2006, 11:19:13 PM »
I wasn't going to mention it because these folks don't want to pay the fee, but actually MandaT, you may have seen it, there's another building on your block as well that has a for rent sign with a broker number on it...
seek peace and pursue it.

Offline jiffy

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 11:29:20 PM »
I'm sure this is not the best place to ask, but does anyone know what the heck happened to all of the postings on craigslist?

I checked today for astoria apartments, and like there is nothing there.  Even stuff that I saw a day or two ago is gone.  It seems like if I search under queens instead of all of NYC, a few more listings show up for astoria, but nothing much really.

Any ideas?

Offline jiffy

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 11:53:46 PM »
never mind, a little more searching on craigslist reveals I am not the only one who has noticed this.  still i havent found why it is...

Offline jiffy

• Resident
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2006, 01:03:55 PM »
ATTENTION WHOEVER:

I will be in NY from the evening of 9/23 till the morning of 9/29 and would like to check out some apartments while I am in town.  PM me here or send an email to acctnyc at yahoo dot com.

Thanks!

Offline ssewell

• Citizen
    • Serious Fun
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2006, 01:50:57 PM »
There is a group of apts building on 21st Ave (one ave block from the Ditmars train station on 31st Street) from 28th Street all the way down to 21st street.  They are recently renovating and are all NO FEE--the management company is renting directly.  They have hardwood floors and are a decent size, and you can find some with really nice light. One bedrooms are  going for $1200 up to 3 beds for 1800, I think.  To contact the management, call 718-726-4000 ask for Shannon for Central Astoria (above 21st Street).  I've been told by a tenant in one of the Crescent St buildings that the owners are planning to go co-op and will offer tenants a chance to buy.  It also looks like the buildings getting the most renovation are between Crescent Street and 28th Street on 21st Avenue--which is a lovely tree-lined block across from St. Johns Prep.  My friend would not recommend the buildings West of 21st Street, which is owned by the same company, same number, different manager.  Good luck.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life