relax

Author Topic: HDR in Photoshop CS  (Read 2314 times)

Newtownian

HDR in Photoshop CS
« on: September 07, 2006, 02:42:08 PM »
Someone here must know how to patch together a HDR picture in PSCS. I know CS2 has a automated function for it, but alas I only have cs1.

I know the part where I have 3 pictures of different exposures.. Then I put them in to the same workspace as 3 layers. But how do I get each layer to work independently?

Thanks.

Offline wasabisam

• Senator
  • Missing Astoria
Re: HDR in Photoshop CS
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 04:39:16 PM »
Sorry - what is HDR? I know Photoshop pretty well, so I could probably help you if I understood your question a bit more.
Chief Wiggum: Uh, no, you got the wrong number. This is 9-1... 2.
My vegan recipes blog

ZiP!

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 07:20:04 PM »
It's "High Dynamic Range."  I haven't tried it yet, but from what I can tell, all of the sites online only refer to CS2 as being able to easily handle it - sorry.

Newtownian

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 09:40:30 AM »
Wasabism..HDR stands for high dynamic range. When you take a picture at sunset you can see the sky clearly, the person infront of you clearly, and the building in the distance clearly. When you take a picture of said sunset you see the Sky clearly but the ground and buildings are just blacked out. When you take a picture it has a low dynamic range, It's either going show higlights or shadows but not both.

HDR overcomes this problem by taking 3 or more exposures, and combining the best parts of each one.. Check this picture out.. It's not mine but it will give you an idea of what I am talking about..http://www.flickr.com/photos/3rdfoundation/163571010/

CS2 has a HDR Macro. You open 3 pics and it does the combining part for you.

Offline wasabisam

• Senator
  • Missing Astoria
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 09:52:08 AM »
Ah okay. I am not really a photographer - just manipulate what other people photograph.

If you don't have CS2, then yeah, it seems to me at first glance that you would need to create three layers and then manually change the brightness/contrast and perhaps even hue and saturation. I'd probably also play around with the blend mode and opacity. I am at work, so I can't really take too much time to think about it, but it doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to do - it would just take extra time rather than having an automatic function... This also seems reminiscent of creating a panorama image out of three or more separate images, so I would think that you could use similar steps to create a HDR image.

Maybe Zip has some good suggestions. He seems quite handy with Photoshop (Zip - love your website btw :)).
Chief Wiggum: Uh, no, you got the wrong number. This is 9-1... 2.
My vegan recipes blog

ZiP!

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 11:09:31 PM »
^why thanks! :)

truthfully i haven't delved into the HDR thing quite yet -- but i took a few different exposures over the weekend to give it a shot, although, it'd be using CS2, not CS, sorry.

Newtownian

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 09:22:21 AM »
I think I might have gotten part of it.. I'll post my results soon..

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life