relax

Author Topic: mets, 9/11  (Read 6068 times)

Offline rob

• Activist
mets, 9/11
« on: August 31, 2006, 01:28:32 PM »
Mets magic number is now 16....they also have the best record in baseball (82-49, .626) barely edging Detroit (83-50, .624)

It's highly possible they can clinch a berth on 9/11, somewhat appropo considering they did a huge of amount of community service right after the attacks (they also wore those FDNY/PD/PA hats and made an almost miraculous run to the playoffs in Sept. 2001).  Speaking of that year, I have to thank the Yanks (which is hard for me to do being a "Yankee hater") for providing an exciting World Series that year even though they lost.  I know it's only baseball, but I think that series helped the city recover psychologically, or at least provided an escape.

man, that seems so long ago....

-Rob

Offline billyboy

• Activist
Re: mets, 9/11
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 02:10:28 PM »
also wore those FDNY/PD/PA hats

I'll never forget that first game the Mets played after 9/11, when they came out in the hats, and that whole pre-game ceremony with the bagpipes, and police, and firemen.  That was the moment when I started feeling like a human being again.  I had a friend who have moved from NYC the previous year call right then, watching the same thing and weeping.

With the Yankees, I recall a lot of lame local press that basically likened the Arizona team to a bunch of non-deserving bought players, while the Yankees were representative of the brave cops and firemen who had just perished.  It was sort of a relief when Arizona won, as it broke down that strange (but predictable) media artifice surrounding New York teams and what happened on 9/11.  The only non-bs things for me sports-wise that fall were the Mets wearing the fire and police department hats during their games, and that fall's firemen/police football game.

BTW, I'm a Phillies fan -- nothing against the Mets or the Yankees.  And you better believe I'm hoping they make the wild card and throw a jolt into the Mets in the playoffs.

Offline rob

• Activist
my hand-me-down yankee hatred was Re: mets, 9/11
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 03:14:58 PM »

It was sort of a relief when Arizona won, as it broke down that strange (but predictable) media artifice surrounding New York teams and what happened on 9/11. 

<snip>

BTW, I'm a Phillies fan -- nothing against the Mets or the Yankees.  And you better believe I'm hoping they make the wild card and throw a jolt into the Mets in the playoffs.

yeah, I felt relieved as well when arizona won; yankee fans would have been completely unbearable.  my dad, who is even more of a y-hater than myself (he grew up with the brooklyn dodgers) bought a freaking d-backs hat and wore it to work the next day after they lost the series...and I loved him for it  :-)

the mets are a lock for the playoffs, but I've seen too many teams that cruised through the regular season and get that jolt you refer to.  obviously being a met fan I hope it doesn'thappen but it's a distinct possibility with that patchwork rotation they have.

Offline Jtrane

• Governor
    • http://www.joshirvingjazz.com
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 03:19:20 PM »
I think the rotation might get better pretty soon.  Glavin is back any day now.  And this is typical Pedro.  He always seems to have "health problems" this time of year.  I just see this as a chance for him to get some rest and be in top form for the playoffs.  I tend to think the mets really are that much better than the rest of the NL.  And with Beltran, Delgado, Wright, etc... getting hot with the bats, the offense is quite potent right now. :-)
Trying is the first step to failure - Homer Simpson
www.joshirvingjazz.com
www.myspace.com/joshirving

Offline JustRachel

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 12:02:39 AM »
I don't really follow baseball closely, but I've always had an affection for the Mets; they are such cute lil' underdogs. I moved to Queens just in time to jump on the Mets bandwagon  :-D Here's hoping they get to the World Series.

Although, now that I'm moving to Chicago, watch we'll wind up with another Subway Series and I'll miss New York even more!
"They said that Queens could stay" - Billy Joel

Offline erpotown

• Mayor
  • Hello
Mets in September.
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 01:18:27 PM »
Has anyone considered a September Astoria day/night out at Shea? I would love to go! I was at the game last Saturday where the Mets beat the Phillies 11 to 5 and had a great time. I got an email about some $9 tickets.

Offline rob

• Activist
Re: Mets in September.
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 03:59:49 PM »
Has anyone considered a September Astoria day/night out at Shea? I would love to go! I was at the game last Saturday where the Mets beat the Phillies 11 to 5 and had a great time. I got an email about some $9 tickets.

hey if you pick the date and organize it, I'm there if available that day.  i would like to see them one more time before playoffs

-Rob

Offline Alison

• Senator
Re: Mets in September.
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 08:46:23 PM »

Ooooh, I'd be into this, I've only been once this summer. I grew up in the cheap seats at Shea - my dad is a big Mets fan and used to take me and my sister, and we'd always climb all the way up to the last row :)
What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

Offline erpotown

• Mayor
  • Hello
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 10:14:23 PM »
I am thinking either Saturday 9/23 at 7:10pm or Sunday 9/24 at 1:10pm. Both games are against Washington. Upper reserved, loge reserved BR, and mezzanine reserved BR are all $11 ($9 + $2 fees) if you buy them online.

Offline Jtrane

• Governor
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 10:16:28 PM »
I am thinking either Saturday 9/23 at 7:10pm or Sunday 9/24 at 1:10pm. Both games are against Washington. Upper reserved, loge reserved BR, and mezzanine reserved BR are all $11 ($9 + $2 fees) if you buy them online.

This sounds like a good time!
www.joshirvingjazz.com

Offline Alison

• Senator
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 10:43:05 PM »
Sunday 9/24 at 2 is the next Astoria Eats thing (I know this because I sadly can't make it and just responded a little while ago), so maybe Saturday would be better?

Oh, and if we get a certain number of people, we should book as a group (I think most places consider anything more than 12 people a group, I used to work in the minors, and that was our threshold), and we can have our name on the videoboard :)
What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

Offline erpotown

• Mayor
  • Hello
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 11:11:02 AM »
I was thinking Saturday too since it's a night game. I love the stadium at night. Anyway, a group is 25 or more. Not sure if we can round up that many Astorians. The only other thing I am worried about is payment. I don't mind buying the tickets, but I would rather have everyone's money up front before I buy a ton of tickets. I have paypal, but have only used it for payment and not for being paid. I will look into it today. Glad you are interested in going!

Offline Jtrane

• Governor
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2006, 12:47:04 AM »
Magic number is now 12.  Let's hope Beltran is ok.  He hit that wall quite hard.  But what a catch!
www.joshirvingjazz.com

Handyman

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2006, 09:40:21 AM »

I think that series helped the city recover psychologically, or at least provided an escape.

man, that seems so long ago....

-Rob

Um... recover from what??   Please tell me you're not refering to 9/11.    *giving you the benefit of the doubt before I loose my freaking mind*

Offline rob

• Activist
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2006, 08:36:38 PM »
Um... recover from what??   Please tell me you're not refering to 9/11.    *giving you the benefit of the doubt before I loose my freaking mind*

in a small way it helped the city (well, at least yankee fans) get it's mind off of 9/11 is all I'm saying. 

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life