relax

Author Topic: meeting Astorians...hotspots  (Read 2109 times)

Tiffany

meeting Astorians...hotspots
« on: September 15, 2004, 10:25:28 PM »
Astoria seems like such a friendly place! I was just wondering if there are hotspots to meet people. Im tired of the same ol same ol Im used to. Please list any bars or clubs or lounges or cafes that are worth visiting.

frozenfroot

The Short List
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2004, 03:15:51 PM »
hi tiffany

here's my short list (because the list is still VERY short - ie there aren't that many)

Volo cafe/bistro -  on Ditmars just past 29th st. (Open until pretty late. panini sandwiches, pasta dishes, (excellent couscous)nice pastries, cookies, good espresso, take-out quick italian dinner on the way home from work when im too lazy to cook

Fatty's Cafe/ Bar/ Bistro -  also on Ditmars. Cool bar, beergarden in back, serves brunch on the weekend, haven't tried food there, hear its good/ oh yeah, the bartender (Dino) is developing quite a reputation for his 'mojito'...

McCanns - huge wood sign, Ditmars (on the less cool side of 31st. St.) near Thirty One the new French restaurant I haven't tried yet/ Irish pub-ish place, tvs running with sports on if you like that kind of thing...

i guess that's about it - near Ditmars, at least, that i know of - but that isnt saying much

good luck with the hunt

ff

Bookbinder

but dont forget
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2004, 03:30:46 PM »
to also check out the Freeze Peach Cafe @ 22-00 29th st.  open till midnight!

delicious tea's, friendly atmosphere, and a great assortment or patrons, all of whom are ├╝ber friendly.

actingman

meeting Astorians...hotspots
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 06:09:08 PM »
I second all of the above, adding that weekend brunch at Fatty's is a great atmosphere.  The owners are extremely friendly and seem to know everyone who walks through the door.  Same with Volo, which organizes gatherings for various interests as well.  Both are on Ditmars.  Doesn't hurt that the food at both is extremely good.  Peach Freeze is another up-and-comer.

GayAstoriaLatin

Other than Chaos on Tuesdays, Albatros, or crescent lounge
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 10:56:42 AM »
Does anyone know of any gay hangouts?  Chaos can be pretty tired and its during the week and doesn't represent the diversity that is Astoria.  Albatros has potential as a hole in the wall, but has too much of a midwestern feel and kind of dumpy.  Crescent lounge is nice, but has a weird vibe and the music is totally inappropriate (in my opinion).

I know I'm being picky.  But any news on new places? etc.

:shock:  :shock:

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life