relax

Author Topic: Morning Becomes Eclectic  (Read 4678 times)

Offline rob

• Activist
Morning Becomes Eclectic
« on: August 29, 2006, 12:19:21 AM »
Anyone listen to this show?  KCRW plays out of Santa Monica College; Morning Becomes Eclectic is the show; Nic Harcourt is the host; playlist includes "progressive pop, world beat, jazz, African, reggae, classical and new music". great live sets too.  also have some cool podcasts in itunes.  Every afternoon from noon to 3pm EST.  and it's all free!!!!   :lol:

http://www.kcrw.com/show/mb

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
Re: Morning Becomes Eclectic
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 07:39:42 AM »
It's a very good show.  KCRW is an awesome radio station, too!  So much wonderful music they showcase.  So nice that it's accessible via the web.

mc

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 10:27:02 AM »
You can also get the podcasts from Itunes.

annie

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 10:43:06 AM »
This show is the best thing about radio today (especailly considering how lame the NY commerical radio market is). I encourage every human being on the planet to listen to KCRW. Nic Harcourt is cool, but Jason Bentley is AWESOME! He does a show called Metropolis every weeknight on KCRW. Also podcasted. Liza Richardson used to do a show called The Drop that is also really really good for discovering the best of new indie music. And of course, the immortal Garth Trinidad is iconic LA soul with Chocolate City. Viva La KCRW!

ZiP!

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 04:25:00 PM »
omg, big type like whoa

Offline mirki2

• Senator
    • mirichronicles
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 10:33:51 PM »
I remember when Morning Becomes Eclectic was hosted by Chris Douridas, before Nic Harcourt signed on as musical director of the station...

I also miss Liza Richardson's Man on the Moon. As much as I love Jason Bentley's electronica show, it was great to go sleep to Liza's stuff late nights in high school
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 10:46:10 PM by mirki2 »
seek peace and pursue it.

Offline photomill

• Citizen
    • The Photomill
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 04:13:26 PM »
the fans unite!  though i think nic is a little weaker than he used to be there are still some great segments on that station!

Offline mirki2

• Senator
    • mirichronicles
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 04:18:51 PM »
just downloaded the Gotan Project's latest album after hearing them live on Morning Becomes Eclectic on Monday...  :smitten:

Offline rob

• Activist
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 10:35:58 AM »
I remember when Morning Becomes Eclectic was hosted by Chris Douridas, before Nic Harcourt signed on as musical director of the station...

i'm a pretty recent listener (discovered the station about a year ago) and didn't know that MBE was hosted by Douridas previously.  was the show much different with him?  did Douridas originate the show?

Offline rob

• Activist
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 10:39:29 AM »
This show is the best thing about radio today (especailly considering how lame the NY commerical radio market is). I encourage every human being on the planet to listen to KCRW. Nic Harcourt is cool, but Jason Bentley is AWESOME! He does a show called Metropolis every weeknight on KCRW. Also podcasted. Liza Richardson used to do a show called The Drop that is also really really good for discovering the best of new indie music. And of course, the immortal Garth Trinidad is iconic LA soul with Chocolate City. Viva La KCRW!

chocolate city, man that sounds delish  :2cool:

Offline goldfish boy

• Governor
  • These cookie-shaped objects taste like cookies!
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 12:26:52 PM »
MBE is great, but I'm a WXPN partisan...
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Seuss

Victorine

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 01:41:58 PM »
Goldfish, are you Philly-affiliated?

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 01:46:40 PM »
Goldfish, are you Philly-affiliated?

Do you mean a-Philly-ated?

Victorine

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2006, 01:47:17 PM »
>Guffaw<

Offline mirki2

• Senator
    • mirichronicles
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2006, 03:54:37 PM »
i'm a pretty recent listener (discovered the station about a year ago) and didn't know that MBE was hosted by Douridas previously.  was the show much different with him?  did Douridas originate the show?

I grew up in LA so I grew up listening to KCRW for NPR (in the car with my parents) and then as a teen started listening for the music as well...

I don't remember who originated the show but it was less pop/rock oriented and more global music with more jazz as well under chris douridas, don't forget that electronica as we know it know still hadn't burst onto the scene at that point (early 90's). it was still a very "eclectic" mix which is what the show is all about after all.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life