relax

Author Topic: Photo buffs  (Read 8409 times)

vcapetanos

Re: Photo buffs
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2006, 11:24:20 PM »
i would love to have a home darkroom set up.

lol. first person to get an enlarger shares! I have a bid on ebay now for an enlarger. it ends on saturday, but i've been outbidded by $.50 - i'll wait till then to make my move.

Offline Alison

• Senator
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2006, 02:09:04 PM »
I've kinda just skimmed this thread (been outta town for a few days, so much to catch up on!) , but I'm going into my 4th year as a photography major, so I might have a few thoughts on this, or can be of help :)

If you've decided to shoot color at all, don't even think about processing it yourself - nobody does. They don't even teach you how to develop color film in school. Before I learned anything about color, I once asked a photographer if he processes his own color film, and he looked at me like I was insane and said, "oh no! It's way too toxic, I wouldn't even try." So color chemicals don't mix well with people, apparently.

I don't know if there are any decent pro-color labs in Astoria, but I've used both Manhattan Color (on 19th or 20th just west of 5th Ave., south side of street), and CRC (22nd somewhere around Broadway, south side of street). If you're a student, both places offer a discount. Duggal (I think they're on Broadway, but you can look them up) is also really good, but they're a bit pricier. Don't bring them to a drugstore or one-hour place - technically its the same process, chemicals and similar machines, but as one of my instructors once said, they don't give a [bleep] about your film. You'll get good negatives from good handling. Also, most of those pro-color labs will have your negatives done within a couple hours unless they're super busy, and it's a few bucks per roll (not sure how much prints are, I never get them because I just make contact sheets at school).

Oh, one more thing! If you process B&W film in your bathroom, run a really hot shower for a few minutes before you go in and steam it up. When the steam settles, it'll bring down all the dust in the air too, so not nearly as much will stick to your negatives when they're drying. Also, obviously, leave the door closed when they're drying, so no dust from the rest of your place will fly in. (I've never tried this, as I process all my B&W film at school, but another teacher suggested that :) )

Also, I second (third? fourth?) the suggestion of saving your used fixer and having it disposed of properly - that stuff is pure evil for the water supply! They do make a solution (I forget what it is called) with an eyedropper type thing, and you put one drop into your used fixer. If it turns milky, then it means the fixer is tired and you should dispose of it. If it stays clear, the fixer is still good/useable. Never heard of the steel wool suggestion, but its worth a try (although, I'd get those drops and test it after just to make sure). Oh, and for stop bath, Kodak makes an indicator stop bath that turns purple when its exhausted, so you can reuse that as well (although the undiluted stuff is super potent, I don't suggest smelling it  :roll: )

Oh, and places to buy stuff - I like Adorama when its not busy, and K&M on 23rd between 1st & 2nd is good as well, and usually not busy - although don't go to either place the first couple weeks of September - school is back and all the freshmen at SVA & other art schools mob those places.

Ummmm...what else? I had some other thoughts, but I forgot them. I'm sure I'll be back to this thread soon :)

Oh! Also, one more thing before I go - I actually have a developing tank and some unopened chemistry (t-max developer, indicator stop bath, and fixer) at my parents house if you want it - I'll never use it, and I hate that it'll just go to waste...you can have it if you promise to use it! :) My email is in my profile.
What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

Offline Harlan

• Governor
  • Lemon Pistachios
    • Photos...
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2006, 02:22:49 PM »
Slightly off the topic of chemicals... Does anyone have suggestions for good (ideally cheap or free) photo exhibits or galleries or shows?

Offline photomill

• Citizen
    • The Photomill
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2006, 04:42:55 PM »
just asn FYI as someone that used to work at a 1hr photo lab - do not ever ever ever atempt to print color at home!  danger will robinson - the chemicals can be everything from mutagenic to diaretic!  stay away.

b&w is nasty enough - just watch how/where you rid yourself of your expired chemicals!

duluoz_cats

hockneyizer
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2006, 08:45:06 AM »
Clever little thing:

hockneyizer

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2006, 09:06:05 AM »
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! â€”Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline mirki2

• Senator
    • mirichronicles
Re: hockneyizer
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2006, 09:39:44 AM »
Clever little thing:

hockneyizer

oooh, this is fun! thanks duluoz.
seek peace and pursue it.

Offline mirki2

• Senator
    • mirichronicles
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2006, 09:42:46 AM »
this one's fun as well:

mosaic

Offline Jonathan

• Senator
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2006, 09:44:19 AM »
Duluoz, that is pretty cool.  I loved the collages we saw at a recent exhibit in Boston.  Made youi want to run out and buy a cheap polaroid and start shooting.

Offline mirki2

• Senator
    • mirichronicles
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2006, 11:24:02 AM »
Picasa also has a collage option, btw

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life