relax

Author Topic: Need a room for November. Help!  (Read 5638 times)

Offline DancNspin

• Campaigning for Council
Need a room for November. Help!
« on: August 16, 2006, 09:21:10 AM »
My friend  is moving here November 10th from my hometown of Chattanooga, TN!!!! I am soooo excited to have my boy here!!! He has been scouring craigslist and other places for a place to stay.

However, I am really worried. He keeps finding people who are offering a "great deal", then finding out they are scamming.  I'm trying to tell him this with every new "deal" that comes along but he is so naive, he has never lived anywhere but Chattanooga.  He insists that it must be "real", until of course it falls apart. 

So here is where I need your help. I need to find him a place to stay, at least temporarily or semi-permanent. He is a great guy and a ton of fun. He doesn't do any drugs or drink and I'm fairly certain he doesn't smoke (but I'll double check on that if anyone finds something). He is just a nice easygoing southern boy coming here to try to make his way in acting.

As cheap as possible is best, and it doesn't have to be glamorous. He is just coming here with his clothes and leaving everything else behind. I just need someone who won't try to take advantage of his being new to the city. Please help!

Offline daisy

• President
Re: Need a room for November. Help!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 12:17:09 PM »
Craigslist is known for its scams as far as real estate goes.  But I did rent out a room once and found great people thru Craigslist, and also searched for my own.  Is he opposed to roommates?  I would suggest he check out this option on Craigslist, as it does seem to yield more fruit.  Plus it would be much cheaper, especially for an actor trying to make it here in the big city. 

Also November's a bit far in advance to be looking.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 03:17:28 PM »
Posting on this board and others, as well as looking for signs up in some of the local stores, are good ways to find rooms.  Word of mouth is probably going to be your best bet.  Is your friend moving up permanently, or just for a month?
I didn't realize you were from TN!  I'm from GA  :-)

Offline goldfish boy

• Governor
  • These cookie-shaped objects taste like cookies!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 04:52:10 PM »
If your friend is planning to take any acting classes when he gets here, it would also be good to look on buttein boards at the school.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Seuss

Offline DancNspin

• Campaigning for Council
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 07:00:05 PM »
Craigslist is known for its scams as far as real estate goes.  But I did rent out a room once and found great people thru Craigslist, and also searched for my own.  Is he opposed to roommates?  I would suggest he check out this option on Craigslist, as it does seem to yield more fruit.  Plus it would be much cheaper, especially for an actor trying to make it here in the big city. 

Also November's a bit far in advance to be looking.

Well November being so far away is the reason I posted on here instead.  Can't find anything for November on Craiggies yet.   And I know it is known for scams...that is why I'm a little scared for my friend!  B/c he is a cute little TN boy and quite naive about the skill of the scammers out there. 

Dirk, I think word of mouth is best, you are right.  Hence my reason for posting on here :)  And you are from GA?  Really?  AWesome!  What part? 

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 06:54:22 PM »
I'm from Fayetteville, GA but my family is originally from Bethesda, Tennessee, just outside Franklin (South of Nashville).

Offline wasabisam

• Senator
  • Missing Astoria
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 07:15:48 PM »
Wild - I actually grew up in Dayton, TN which is about 45 minutes to an hour north of Chattanooga. Do you still have your accent mcdirk? I lost mine a long long time ago with no regrets. :evil: Not that a southern accent is necessarily a bad thing, just not for me!
Chief Wiggum: Uh, no, you got the wrong number. This is 9-1... 2.
My vegan recipes blog

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 08:22:21 AM »
My family always had a lighter accent, more North Georgia/Alabama, Central Tennessee than a full drawl.  I didn't think I had an accent when I moved up, but folks always said I did.  15 years in the Big Apple has masked it pretty thoroughly though - but when I'm around other Southerners, back in the South or say numbers or placenames, it comes out more than usual.  I tend to talk too fast to drawl!

Cary119

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 11:24:21 AM »
I actually grew up in Dayton, TN

I grew up in Oak Ridge, TN!

Offline SpecialK

• Running for Mayor
    • 35th And Kaufman
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 03:02:53 PM »
Most of my relatives are based out of Knoxville, TN - my mother and her siblings grew up in Cleveland, TN (near Chattanooga) - I grew up in western NC nearby.

Is the whole friggin' south moving to Astoria or something?   :-D

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 03:04:37 PM »
Astoria is becoming more Southern!  We need a Chic-fil-A and a place to get good raw peanuts for boiling.

Offline SpecialK

• Running for Mayor
    • 35th And Kaufman
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 03:11:36 PM »
Oh Chick-Fil-A, yum yum.

Would an Astoria Chick-Fil-A still be closed on Sundays???   :roll:

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 03:39:32 PM »
yep, unfortunately they all hold to the same rules, closed Sundays and Christian holidays, but durn, their food is good.

Cary119

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006, 03:40:43 PM »
I'm a sucker for Polynesian sauce and their waffle fries...

nycatexas

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2006, 06:10:51 PM »
Astoria is becoming more Southern!  We need a Chic-fil-A and a place to get good raw peanuts for boiling.

Chic-Fil-A - Yes, I love their nuggets....yummmmmmy. Only tried boiled peanuts once, in Georgia as a matter of fact! Not a fan! Guess it's an acquired taste.....

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life