relax

Author Topic: NYC Photography  (Read 7443 times)

Newtownian

Re: NYC Photography
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2006, 10:08:03 AM »
you can go to adoramon on 18th street. They have a rental department. You can even rent lenses! www.adorama.com

ZiP!

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2006, 10:17:48 AM »
^ah, i forget they do rentals.

i think i might like adorama more than b&h because it feels a little less chaotic in there.

Offline Harlan

• Governor
  • Lemon Pistachios
    • Photos...
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2006, 10:29:24 AM »
i think i might like adorama more than b&h because it feels a little less chaotic in there.

I love B&H. It reminds me that (a) I'm in New York, whose population only recently went below 1 million Jews, and (b) how completely gear-crazy shutterbugs can get...

Offline Alison

• Senator
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2006, 10:32:32 AM »
Gah! B&H drives me insane. (I'm a photographer/photo student). Went there once, that was enough for me. I'm all about Adorama, and I have a friend who uses Alkit for rentals, and likes them a lot.
What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

Offline masande

• Activist
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2006, 10:50:05 AM »
the tiny but incredibly stocked lens and repro on 17th street is worth a visit. in addition to supplying every camera rentable imaginable, they also do repairs.

ZiP!

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2006, 12:35:10 PM »
^ah damn, nice prices there, it seems, at a glance.  i might try walking there at lunch soon - thanks

msitch

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2006, 05:49:01 PM »
I was just wondering if anybody was looking for something interesting to shoot around Astoria.  I was walking down 41st St. (may have been 42nd) btw 25 Ave and 28th ave and there is this incredible house with an awesome looking door on it.  I think that it would be something nice to photograph.

ZiP!

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2006, 10:01:13 PM »
^ah, thanks for the heads up -

i rarely am that far over in astoria (typically more on the other side of the tracks (31st st).  i'll check it out at some point.  although i'm shooting up in boston this weekend.

Offline mirki2

• Senator
    • mirichronicles
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2006, 09:14:26 AM »
hmmm. i guess i should take a look. i've ridden up there before (since i'm on 41st)... might be worth a shot (no pun intended)  :roll:
seek peace and pursue it.

duluoz_cats

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2006, 08:27:22 AM »
I love B&H. It reminds me that (a) I'm in New York, whose population only recently went below 1 million Jews, and (b) how completely gear-crazy shutterbugs can get...

I love B&H, too. They know their stuff, period. Granted they don't suffer fools, and that can be a bit unnerving, but ever since they moved into the new space they seem to have lightened up a little on the attitudes. Plus, you never know who you'll run into there. I love seeing all the pros that come in with their tortured cameras, all taped up with notes on aperture settings and shot lists, their lenses dinged within an inch of their lives. And they have some of the best used equipment in the city, too.

G*d, I remember how impossible the old store was to navigate and get service from ... but that was part of the allure, heh. By the time it got to be your turn you were as ornery as the sales person.  8-)

duluoz_cats

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2006, 08:32:03 AM »
Hey duluoz cats -

With frames by mail, what do you do about glass?  I see they won't ship glass (probably a good idea), but they offer plexiglass.  Have you tried that?  Do you buy glass locally afterward?

I've been trying to figure this one out for a little while now...

Thanks!

(Sorry, just saw this post!) I used the plexiglass, it's actually nicer than glass, I think -- it doesn't reflect light, so you see the image more clearly behind it.

Offline Harlan

• Governor
  • Lemon Pistachios
    • Photos...
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2006, 08:35:11 AM »
(Sorry, just saw this post!) I used the plexiglass, it's actually nicer than glass, I think -- it doesn't reflect light, so you see the image more clearly behind it.

I just received a couple of frames from framesbymail. The matting looks great (despite my cutting the tolerances a little close!), but the frames have glue marks on the visible surface! I'm going to call them today to find out how their customer service is...

Offline afarber

• Activist
    • My photo website
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2006, 11:20:00 AM »
Hey Harian...please do keep us updated on that.  I am just about to order from them and this could certainly affect  my decision.

Sorry your aggrivation becomes our education.

Thanks for sharing!
Adam

Offline Harlan

• Governor
  • Lemon Pistachios
    • Photos...
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2006, 11:47:54 AM »
Hi Adam. I called them and they're sending replacement frames soon. They were just fine about it. I'll let you know how the replacement frames look. I'm planning on using the new frames for gifts while keeping the old ones for myself.

Hey Harian...please do keep us updated on that.  I am just about to order from them and this could certainly affect  my decision.

Sorry your aggrivation becomes our education.

Thanks for sharing!
Adam

ZiP!

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2006, 03:05:24 PM »
i took these shots the other weekend in dumbo:

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life