relax

Author Topic: NYC Photography  (Read 7406 times)

ZiP!

NYC Photography
« on: August 13, 2006, 11:57:15 PM »
I picked up a digital SLR a few months back in Jan/Feb, and have been pretty happy with it.  Here are some recent shots, feel free to contribute anything you guys are shooting - it's great to see different people's preferences of subjects, styles, motifs...

Friday (Aug 11):

Southstreet Seaport (part of a street performance):

Southstreet Seaport (Josh Ritter performing):

Williamsburg, Brooklyn (that interesting-looking church near like N11):

duluoz_cats

Re: NYC Photography
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 05:55:31 AM »
Nice snaps Zip, there are a lot of us in the area who take photos and are generally interested in photography. Sorabji (who I haven't seen a post from in a long, long time ...) does terrific work and has a wonderful site:

http://www.sorabji.com/

And then there is the Astoria group on flickr where some of us post to as well:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/astoria/

ZiP!

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 07:54:41 AM »
^thanks for the links.

You're right - Sorabji's got a ton of good stuff up, and also Flickr is probably a better place to post lots of shots than here.  I guess I should get an account at some point.

Offline Harlan

• Governor
  • Lemon Pistachios
    • Photos...
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 08:29:46 AM »
I'm also pretty fond of Zooomr, which is like Flickr but has a couple of extra features (and some annoying bugs, but hopefully they'll squash 'em soon). One feature is geo-tagging, where you can put your photos on a Google map and then find other photos near them. And it's a little more Web 2.0 in interface than Flickr too.

Here are my photos that I've put up there: http://beta.zooomr.com/photos/harlan

Offline okkichan

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 09:22:14 AM »
i regularly visit NYC photoblogger Joe: http://joesnyc.streetnine.com/

annie

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 10:28:33 AM »
I like Quarlo. His colors are totally supersweet.

http://www.quarlo.com/083005.html

Offline Harlan

• Governor
  • Lemon Pistachios
    • Photos...
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 10:38:48 AM »
Speaking of photography, any suggestions on where to get good-quality but inexpensive photo frames? The local places in Astoria seem to charge about $60 for frame/matting/etc for an 8x10 photo. I can get what I want online for $25 or so, but would prefer a brick-and-morter place if I could find one...

Newtownian

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 11:23:53 AM »
hey zip.. What lens are you using.. Your pics are so sharp!

Offline mirki2

• Senator
    • mirichronicles
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 11:32:47 AM »
I love the color quality as well  :-)
seek peace and pursue it.

ZiP!

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 12:39:27 PM »
hey zip.. What lens are you using.. Your pics are so sharp!
thanks - the first two were shot with a fairly inexpensive Nikkor 55-200mm lens, and the third one was shot with a slightly more expensive Sigma 15-30mm lens.

thanks for the links to those photo blogs - they're looking pretty impressive at a glance so far.

Offline masande

• Activist
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 12:43:45 PM »
i'm a fan of www.rion.nu. she recently moved from nyc but her shots always amaze. and the site design is mighty nice, too.

Offline firelight79

• Running for Governor
    • Fan Firelight Jewelry & Designs on Facebook!
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 04:41:31 PM »
Speaking of photography, any suggestions on where to get good-quality but inexpensive photo frames? The local places in Astoria seem to charge about $60 for frame/matting/etc for an 8x10 photo. I can get what I want online for $25 or so, but would prefer a brick-and-morter place if I could find one...
Have you tried Michael's Craft Store on Northern and like 54th ish?
They'll frame and matte for you or you can buy what you need and do it yourself.

duluoz_cats

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 04:58:59 PM »

I use Frames by Mail. They're not expensive, they have standard size frames and mats, but, the best part is you can create your own, any size frame or mat, multiple image mats, and get them in any color, shape, position, etc. Plus, you can design it all online with a preview. Used them to get the frames and mats for my comic book art pages (couldn't use standard sizes for them - they're 17 x 21 and mat, frame, glass, and backing were just under $20 each).

http://www.framesbymail.com

Offline afarber

• Activist
    • My photo website
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 05:44:11 PM »
Hey duluoz cats -

With frames by mail, what do you do about glass?  I see they won't ship glass (probably a good idea), but they offer plexiglass.  Have you tried that?  Do you buy glass locally afterward?

I've been trying to figure this one out for a little while now...

Thanks!

Jcos

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 09:28:22 PM »
Hey all

I was wondering if someone can help me out. I am shooting a wedding next week, but I don't have a good flash. I have collateral, I could throw  you a couple of bucks in you want. I would only need it for a day.

I have a Pentax istDSLR.  I really appreciate it.

Thanks

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life