relax

Author Topic: Astoria broker/apartment advice & info  (Read 144301 times)

Offline anzubird

• Mayor
  • the downside of commuting
Re: Looking for apartment/broker advice
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2006, 03:13:33 PM »
I found my place through one of the brokers in Carmela's office - I think it was Robyn.  I didn't like the first place I saw with her, or the other 3-4 places we looked at (she took me out with another girl who was also looking for a place of her own)

Is it really ok to take two people to look at the same apartment at the same time? Someone from Remax did that to me when I first moved to Astoria, and I found it pretty offensive. My roomate and I ended up dumping the agent and getting the apartment through another realtor who had been showing it (another real estate no-no, but this one worked in our favor, so I won't complain)

Offline angastoria

• Council Member
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2006, 06:33:25 PM »
its typical when the broker is very busy. especially the after work hours. i didn't find it offensive, its just practical.
---i should be working, oh well---

Offline SpecialK

• Running for Mayor
    • 35th And Kaufman
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2006, 07:53:57 PM »
Well, since most apartment hunters are looking with multiple brokers and looking at multiple apartments, and you know you're not going to pounce until you see The One, I didn't mind.  Since I was looking alone, it was actually nice to have somebody else there so that when the broker and super left the room we could both quickly confer on our thoughts.

If we'd hit a real gem on that trip it might have been a knock-down drag-out, but we didn't.

I mean in most cases, you know other people are considering the apartments you're looking at.  To have them physically present didn't really bother me.  You just have to be ready to pounce.

In my case, my place opened up about a month after that trip, and I pounced.   :mrgreen:

Offline PDQ Fruitbat

• Mayor
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2006, 02:22:20 PM »
I just used Buy-Sell under the Ditmars stop.  Ask for Soula. All in all a good experience all things considered.
I found Liz @ Metropolis to be a total ditz.  She was flaky, disorganized, and weird.
MQ Was ok with me - they couldnt secure us an apt so we went with BuySell.

VPREALTY

« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2006, 10:34:17 PM »
Hi How are you. Happy holidays.  I am a broker with V P realty in AStoria. I read your post about looking for an apartment by ditmars. Unfortunately at the moment I do not have one on that side of the blvd. but you can check on our website http://www.vprealtyny.com. We currently have a one bedroom newly renovated in a rent stabilized building on 44st and 25 ave. If you have any questions or would like to tell us your criteria you can contact Vicki or Paul At 718 932-1222.

Hope you have a wonderful day! Good luck on your search

Offline angastoria

• Council Member
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2006, 10:45:00 AM »
ugh, realtor posts.
in any case, buy sell was good as well, they showed us a few apts, one we almost took. you got lucky that MQ didnt' burn you, thats their MO.

Offline Capibara

• Mayor
    • www.gretchenwagoner.com
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2006, 11:21:02 PM »
I used Grace at Grace Realty on Broadway and I LOVE my apt.  She was really nice but a little flaky, at one point she "misplaced" my paperwork with all my personal info. SS#, etc.   WHAT!!!???  Luckily she had just "misplaced" it at her house and it was all fine.  She seems to have good listings and even talked the management company down on the price of my place for me.  Overall, I was pleased with her.

Offline Tracer Bullet

• Activist
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2006, 07:32:15 PM »
Well, we found our new apartment, but it's in... Brooklyn. So we're leaving Astoria. :(

Offline Harlan

• Governor
  • Lemon Pistachios
    • Photos...
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2006, 07:52:46 PM »
Well, we found our new apartment, but it's in... Brooklyn. So we're leaving Astoria. :(

All good things must come to an end... Where are you moving to? And if you don't mind us asking, what couldn't you find in Astoria?

astoriazgrkprincess

« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2006, 03:29:31 PM »
I have been in 3 different apartments in Astoria in my 4 years here.  My advise on realtors
AVOID CARMELA AT REMAX!!

I don't even like Remax because they employ Carmela.  Every time you see a "looks to good to be true" ad notice the name on it - 9 out of 10... it's Carmela.  AND... it IS too good to be true.  DOn't waste your time. 

That said... we DID find the beautiful apartment that we have through....Remax.   ugh.

I read your post and I can honestly say I disagree with your views on Carmela. She helped me and my roommate find and apartment last month and out of all the realtors I viewed apartments with she was the most helpful. I found her very attentive and professional she listen to our needs and wants and showed us many apartments that were in our budget and absolutely gorgeous. We had a hard time deciding which one we wanted!!! Not only did she take me to more than 10 apartments that fit my budget and requirements but the fee was only one month rent which is unheard of!!!!! Because of my work and school schedule I was unable to see apartments during her normal business hours so she came in on Sunday and spent the day taking us around!!!! She helped us get in contact with local movers and storage places. At the end of the process I was extremely pleased with her as an agent and would highly recommend her to anyone who is looking for an agent in astoria and wants to look at a variet of quality apartments.

IF YOU ARE LOOKING TO RENT AN APARTMENT IN ASTORIA CALL 718-932-3800 AND ASK FOR CARMELA!
TELL HER MARIA & HELEN REFERRED YOU!

Offline angastoria

• Council Member
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2006, 11:31:20 AM »

I read your post and I can honestly say I disagree with your views on Carmela. She helped me and my roommate find and apartment last month and out of all the realtors I viewed apartments with she was the most helpful. I found her very attentive and professional she listen to our needs and wants and showed us many apartments that were in our budget and absolutely gorgeous. We had a hard time deciding which one we wanted!!! Not only did she take me to more than 10 apartments that fit my budget and requirements but the fee was only one month rent which is unheard of!!!!! Because of my work and school schedule I was unable to see apartments during her normal business hours so she came in on Sunday and spent the day taking us around!!!! She helped us get in contact with local movers and storage places. At the end of the process I was extremely pleased with her as an agent and would highly recommend her to anyone who is looking for an agent in astoria and wants to look at a variet of quality apartments.

IF YOU ARE LOOKING TO RENT AN APARTMENT IN ASTORIA CALL 718-932-3800 AND ASK FOR CARMELA!
TELL HER MARIA & HELEN REFERRED YOU!

I bet there's no way that a realtor from re-max posted that. LOL. I am laughing my ass off.
Well as far as Carmela goes, my boyfriend and i went to "her" and we never met her, dealt with someone else, and even after them insisting that they had 5 places to show us, wasted our afternoon by showing us one apartment that was literally falling apart, and another that was 200 above our price range.
so, nice try Remax.
LOL.

Offline jennifer

• Senator
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2006, 12:29:57 PM »

This post is SO ridiculous for so many reasons!!!

Has anyone else out there seen 10 nice apartments in ALL OF NYC that fit their budget?
Couldn't decide which one to take????

Has anyone else MET Carmela (I'm under the impression that it's just a name REMAX uses so they know what sort of ad you saw - ie the one's that are too good to be true)

When I went for my appointment with her.  I waited for about 15-20 min and then realized the other guy in the waiting room (who'd been there longer) was ALSO waiting for her. 
I told him it was ridiculous and unprofessional so I left... I encouraged him to leave as well - I don't know what he did.

As far as being shown an apt with someone else also looking... It happened to me a couple of years ago - my mom who used to be an agent in CT thought that the realtor used the other person as a shill  to put pressure on me.  I don't know if anyone looking for an apartment around here NEEDs pressure.  But I took the place when they offered it.

Offline Rachel780

• Council Member
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2006, 12:59:35 PM »
The realtor (or other types of business) posts "disguised" as normal posts around here are definitely annoying. I don't mind a realtor posting in response to someone's question, but otherwise, it's so transparent.

Offline Tracer Bullet

• Activist
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2006, 08:55:50 PM »
All good things must come to an end... Where are you moving to? And if you don't mind us asking, what couldn't you find in Astoria?

We're moving to Brooklyn... Sunset Park, to be exact. Not as nice as Astoria, but okay. Our apartment is 5 minutes from the express D train and two minutes from Sunset Park. Brokers were of no use in Astoria... seems like none of them want to deal with dogs. I never heard from any of the ones I called.

We really wanted a decent-sized one bedroom that was a 10 minute walk from the Ditmars stop, but for whatever reason that seems to be a tall order nowadays. Too bad; we really liked Astoria. We'll miss Martha's Country Bakery for one. :(

Offline Frappe

• Senator
  • Life is Easy.
    • The Chocolate Dog
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2006, 12:46:36 PM »
I have had the same problem with brokers.  Metropolis Realty even did the "bait and switch" with us, making us come on down for an appointment with them and told us the apartment we spake of "just was rented out, but my friend, I have others that you will like".  We ended up using Charles at Re/Max. Nice guy, but he didnt help us find the place.  I found it by checking Craig's List like a hawk for two weeks.  The crappy places stay on Craig's list forever, but the really good ones are snapped up within a day.
Molwv Labe

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life