relax

Author Topic: Astoria broker/apartment advice & info  (Read 135792 times)

Offline Cash

• Tourist
Re: Astoria broker/apartment advice & info
« Reply #345 on: September 07, 2012, 08:02:00 AM »
Hi guys I wanted some advice Im looking to move to Astoria and have been looking at 3brs (also 2brs the 3rd roommate is willing to move but not in a rush) anyway I recently saw a 3br appt in Ditmars area which was a little under 3000 however it included no utlities. Esentially its a house with 2bth 3brs. Now my question is is it worth it? How much on avg would all utlities be gas, heat, hot water and gas. I know that there is diff factors (usage, a/cs, etc) I know this is not normal and I feel the apartment is really nice but has been on the market for two weeks which is kind of a long time. I feel that there has to be the catch. If utlities are on avg 500 I think it would be a good deal and same price as apartments that are 3000 with heat and hot water included but 3x bigger. Any advice is much appreciated.

Offline SZ

• Tourist
« Reply #346 on: September 26, 2012, 04:28:31 PM »
Hi -- hope it's cool to revive this thread. I'm finding the Astoria broker world sort of baffling. We have been looking for a condo, co-op, or house with a decent amount of private outdoor space. We already own a co-op. I'm on the mailing list of a few brokers, but when I reply to their e-mail listings, I get nowhere: "Oh, I'll be in touch" or "Maybe we'll have keys next week." Days and then weeks go by with nothing.

Am I doing something wrong? We're not in any special rush to buy a place, but we do have the cash and will be ready to jump when we see the right home. Any tips? Anyone else experience this weird lack of help from brokers? We've looked in Brooklyn and Manhattan in the past and brokers were practically harassing us with listings, e-mails, etc. So strange.

Offline Cebra

• Tourist
« Reply #347 on: October 03, 2012, 04:28:59 PM »
Hi -- hope it's cool to revive this thread. I'm finding the Astoria broker world sort of baffling. We have been looking for a condo, co-op, or house with a decent amount of private outdoor space. We already own a co-op. I'm on the mailing list of a few brokers, but when I reply to their e-mail listings, I get nowhere: "Oh, I'll be in touch" or "Maybe we'll have keys next week." Days and then weeks go by with nothing.

Am I doing something wrong? We're not in any special rush to buy a place, but we do have the cash and will be ready to jump when we see the right home. Any tips? Anyone else experience this weird lack of help from brokers? We've looked in Brooklyn and Manhattan in the past and brokers were practically harassing us with listings, e-mails, etc. So strange.
Hey, I don't have any advice but just wanted to say that you are not alone!  Granted that we are looking to rent and not buy, dealing with brokers in Astoria is a complete nightmare compared to other neighborhoods.  They don't bother calling you with new listings even when they have met with you and have all of your information on file.  They put ads on Craigslist and expect you to do the rest.  Half the time you call, they can't show the listing for days.  The other half, you have to stalk them to find out more info about the apt..and then stalk them some more to actually see it.  They will never pick up the phone and call your back.  It's you who has to keep trying to contact them..sort of like you are working for them except they are the ones getting paid. I thought Manhattan brokers did no work, but Astoria's brokers take that to a whole new level.  It's definitely not you!

Offline Broker

• Tourist
« Reply #348 on: October 19, 2012, 10:25:29 AM »
Alex
Homes & Investment Realty

Honest...professional service!

Offline melody venable

• Tourist
« Reply #349 on: February 03, 2013, 08:05:29 PM »
Wow, these posts are pretty old. Anyone have recent experiences to share.

Offline schoens

• Tourist
« Reply #350 on: March 15, 2013, 11:32:22 PM »
I'm looking for a broker as well, any recommendations?

Offline HelenaM

• Tourist
« Reply #351 on: April 25, 2013, 04:23:17 PM »
I can help you to find a new place.  Please give me a call at 917 445 6236.

Thanks,
Helena

Offline rizzre

• Tourist
« Reply #352 on: April 29, 2013, 03:37:31 PM »
Bumping this for new suggestions/experiences. I've compiled a list of brokers based on your recommendations already, but I was wondering if anyone had other names? I'll be looking for a 3BR with a balcony, patio, or yard and near the N/Q trains for upwards of $2700, if that makes any difference to what brokers I should work with.

Offline DancNspin

• Campaigning for Council
« Reply #353 on: May 07, 2014, 01:12:16 PM »
Hi folks, I'm bumping this again, hoping to hear of anyone's positive experiences with brokers in Astoria.  Would like to work with someone who is very honest about apartments, conditions, supers, etc. and will work hard to help us find the best place that meets what we're looking for. Thanks!

Offline ATB24

• Council Member
« Reply #354 on: May 07, 2014, 03:17:00 PM »
I don't think highly of most brokers and have yet to meet an honest one. But have you tried reading reviews on Yelp? some might be fake if they are all too good, but you should be able to weed through them

Offline Eddie.K

• Tourist
« Reply #355 on: May 18, 2014, 09:05:52 PM »
My daughter and niece were looking for 2 BR apt.   They concentrated on Craigslist, etc.,  while I touched base with a few brokers.

John Kalamaris at at http://www.metrolinerealty.com  and Peter Horowitz athttp://myastoriarealestate.com were both responsive and helpful.   I can't recommend Mary Aidonis - she was sorta rude and dismissive, it felt like rentals were more of a sideline with her.  Although, she gets high marks for responsiveness.

Anyways, happy ending!  The girls found perfect no-fee unit on Craigslist.   They are ecstatic!!

Offline Kiwi

• Tourist
« Reply #356 on: June 02, 2014, 08:57:47 PM »
only advice I can give anyone is to stay away from Astoria Home Realty on 38th and 31st

http://www.yelp.com/biz/astoria-home-realty-queens-2

Just have a read!

They have scammed friends of mine and left them with virtually nothing. Disgraceful.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life