relax

Author Topic: Astoria broker/apartment advice & info  (Read 135881 times)

Offline Alison

• Senator
Re: Good Realtors To Find A Place In Astoria?
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2006, 12:48:52 PM »
Lenient on money issues (I don't have a job because I'm a student so the landlord wanted six months' rent ahead of time; she took me check and started the paperwork before the check cleared)

(kind of OT)
Woah...six months rent? Is that normal? I found my roommate through Craigslist (she was already here, her former roomie moved out) so I never had to deal with brokers.
What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

Offline eblack

• Senator
  • Kickstarter for Lyla Tov Monsters coming June 4th!
    • Lyla Tov Monsters
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2006, 02:38:05 PM »
I've never rented in Astoria, but my wife did and swears by Chantel at Aamen Realty, which is in the Ditmars subway station building thingamajig.  She's recommended her to other people who have had good experiences, too.

Ditmartian

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2006, 02:13:13 PM »
I've used Halvatzis realty (the one on Ditmars and 28th, next to Everything Bagel) twice now to find apartments. I know Kim well, who handles rentals, and she's great. She's from the Ditmars neighborhood and knows a lot of the landlords personally. And George, the owner, seems like a stand-up guy, although I don't know him as well as Kim. I was also a very good tenant for several years for a landlord who knows Kim and her family well, so that probably puts me in better stead than someone new coming to Astoria. I never felt like Kim was merely out for my fee. She actually steered me away on several occasions from certain rentals because she knew that that landlords there were not the kind people I wanted to rent from. My nephew is looking to move here and I've put him in touch with Kim. If I'm in a position to ever buy a property in this neighborhood and want to go through a realtor, Halvatzis will be my first choice.

Unlike Grace realty. Grace reality set off alarm bells. I went there to look at an apartment for which I was already in touch with the existing tenant.  I think I was going to sublet it or something. The first thing Grace, I guess it was Grace, said was that I had to pay for the credit report. I balked, saying I want to look at the apartment first. Then she raises her voice telling me, "that's how it's done here." I said, "OK," got up and left. Sorry, there are too many brokers around her to put up with that.

Though I don't exactly like having to pay a broker's fee because the moving outlay is large enough as it is, I understand the reasoning behind it, at least from my experience with Halvatzis. They're the ones vetting potential renters, doing the references and credit checks, which is why landlords rely on them. They arrange for apartment viewings, the paper work and so on, stuff that most landlords probably don't want to be bothered with. If I was a landlord, I'd go through a broker. It doesn't cost them anything.

I also found that it is a business relationship. If the broker believes you are going to be a good customer, I think most will try to get you as close as possible to what you want. If you go into a broker's office with a bit of a grudge that you have to "deal with these money-grubbers", then it'll probably not make the relationship with the broker terribly productive. Yes, some of them are money-grubbers and you can usually tell in the first few minutes of meeting them.

For people new to the neighborhood, it's worth remembering that to a broker, you're a potential revenue stream and that's it. They don't know anything about you and if you happen to become an awful tenant, a landlord may think twice about renting to people that broker finds for them. Take the time to get to know you're broker, and interview them as well. If they give you the creeps take your business elsewhere, as is your right. If you think they're worth trusting, let them know that you want to give them your business. They may go that extra yard to help you find what you're lookign for.

This is defninitley a good place to find out about brokers since most of us have had experiences with them at some point or another.

Good luck.

Offline Mer

• Mayor
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2006, 04:14:55 PM »
We used Alex at Metropolis (29th st and 23rd ave) he was AMAZING and I highly recommend him.  We tried two other brokers and he was friendly, listened to exactly what we were looking for and found us the PERFECT apartment.  I can't give him enough praise.

I also used Alex for my current place.  He got me an amazing rent controlled, 1 bdrm just off of Broadway.   I didn't have a whole lot of interaction with him because I took the first place he showed me.  Anyway, it was my first broker experience and it was successful, so I'd recommend him as well.

Offline NYCMacUser

• President
  • Bippidi Boppidi Boo!
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2006, 04:24:43 PM »
I also used Alex for my current place.  He got me an amazing rent controlled, 1 bdrm just off of Broadway.
Did Alex tell you your apartment was Rent Controlled?
Women are like teabags.
We don't know our true strength
until we are in hot water! â€”Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Tracer Bullet

• Activist
Astoria broker/apartment advice & info
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2006, 02:21:54 PM »
As a compliment to this thread: http://www.astorians.com/index.php?topic=4086.0

we're starting our search for a new place. I looked up a couple broker recommendations on this here forum, but there were kind of old, so I'm looking for more recent recommendations. We're not averse to not using a broker, but with both of us working full-time and going to school, we don't have a lot of time for a long involved search.

Recommendations for brokers that have apartments in the Ditmars area, dog-friendly, 1 bedrooms for around $1200? Or if you have a hot tip that would be great too. :-)

Ditmartian

Re: Looking for apartment/broker advice
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2006, 07:15:09 PM »
This comes up from time to time, and I'm sure if you search for "broker", you'll find a lot of posts about the topic. The most recent thread that comes to mind I found here: http://www.astorians.com/index.php?topic=2913.msg24159#msg24159

Good luck.

Offline Tracer Bullet

• Activist
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2006, 07:31:27 PM »
Ooh, thanks a lot. I did do a search, but for whatever reason this thread didn't come up.

Thanks! :mrgreen:

zura04

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2006, 10:49:58 AM »
When my roommate and I were looking for a place, we spent a while looking with Martha @ Astoria Park Realty.  She really did bend over backwards trying to find us a place, and would stay late working around our 9-5 schedules.  We actually did not end up finding our place with her (we had a tall order - a 2BR for $1600 WITH a cat) but she was hard-working, speaks Greek, and seemed to have a good selection of apartments.  They seem to specialize on the north side/Ditmars area of Astoria.

We found our place (on the south side of Astoria, near the LIC border) through Astor Realty on Broadway.  We worked with a woman named Irene.  She was very professional and seemed to have good connections - however, when I saw her on the street a couple weeks after the lease signing and said hello, she didn't remember me.  :)  Oh well.

MookieWilson

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2006, 11:48:21 AM »
I just found a nice three bedroom place on 36th street near Broadway with Irene from Remax Today.  She only charged one month's rent when she could have charged more, was patient with me when the process dragged on a little longer than either of us would have liked and found me a very beautiful place for a nice price.  She was friendly, patient, understanding and trustworthy - I would absolutely recommend working with her.

MW

Offline jennifer

• Senator
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2006, 05:02:11 PM »
I have been in 3 different apartments in Astoria in my 4 years here.  My advise on realtors
AVOID CARMELA AT REMAX!!

I don't even like Remax because they employ Carmela.  Every time you see a "looks to good to be true" ad notice the name on it - 9 out of 10... it's Carmela.  AND... it IS too good to be true.  DOn't waste your time. 

That said... we DID find the beautiful apartment that we have through....Remax.   ugh.

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2006, 05:06:39 PM »
I had an apt with Carmela once.  She wasn't there when I showed up on time for it, and Irene took over.  There was a walk-in and she ended showing us both the same apartments, 2 of which were out of my price range but in his.  The landlords refused to negotiate a lower price for one I liked, and the cheaper one was tiny.  Remax didn't strike me as particularily professional, and although Irene was nice, I should have gotten more personal attention to my needs. 

Offline SpecialK

• Running for Mayor
    • 35th And Kaufman
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2006, 10:54:12 PM »
I found my place through one of the brokers in Carmela's office - I think it was Robyn.  I didn't like the first place I saw with her, or the other 3-4 places we looked at (she took me out with another girl who was also looking for a place of her own) but she told me about some apartments opening up in another building that she liked a lot.  She called me a couple of weeks later, we saw this one, and I fell in love. 

One month fee, and I appreciated the fact that she remembered me and did in fact call me when the other apartments came in.  Okay, so she was a little confused when she first told me about the location of the apartment (she had my landlord's two buildings mixed up), but she did have a lot in my range - varying quality, but again, I love the one I wound up with.

I'd work with her again if I had to, but I'm hoping not to have to leave this one for awhile.

Offline jennifer

• Senator
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2006, 06:16:34 AM »
I found my place through one of the brokers in Carmela's office - I think it was Robyn. 

I'm pretty sure that's who we got this place from as well.

Offline angastoria

• Council Member
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2006, 12:12:56 PM »
We used Liz Finnerty at Metropolis on 23rd ave and 31st street. She was very busy but had overall the best apartments. (we ended up getting our 1br new construction from her). She also was very friendly with the buliding owners and was able to negotiate when necessary.

Irene from Astor was a horror. After seeing no less than a half dozen ads on craiglist listed by her, when we actually had an appointment (same day) she told us nothing was availalbe and proceeded to waste our time showing us an overpriced crap apartment behind an alley.

DONT USE MQ REALTY. under any circumstances. They are theives and total scumbags. Completley lied to us, we only got out with our money becuase when we went to sign the paperwork on our apt, there were 2 OTHER PEOPLE signing the same lease as well, and MQ was pocketing the security. STAY AWAY at aLL COSTS.

Chantal was good from Aamen Realty on Ditmars and 31st street, and Stefan from Patridge has a nice building on 21st ave and 33rd street.. it just depends on what's available.

GOOD LUCK. Moving in this city is a nightmare.
---i should be working, oh well---

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life