relax

Author Topic: Artichoke Basille Pizza taking Frankie's site under Ditmars station  (Read 4911 times)

Offline round2

• Running for Mayor

Anyone got confirmation of this?:

http://www.givemeastoria.com/blog/2015/02/02/artichoke-basille/

Feel more hopeful about their pizza than Razzie's, but open-minded about which is actually better, with better ingredients.

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
Re: Artichoke Basille Pizza taking Frankie's site under Ditmars station
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 08:15:40 AM »

Feel more hopeful about their pizza than Razzie's, but open-minded about which is actually better, with better ingredients.

Razzie's Pizza is great.  You should try it.  Razzie's is real pizza, not gourmet.  This place sounds too fancy to me.  I wouldn't want artichoke on my pizza

Offline Yaxpac

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 08:35:26 AM »

there is a sign on the door saying coming soon Artichoke Basile...lists the website and such. 

Offline guiff43

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 10:56:14 AM »
I love this place - always stop by whenever I'm near one of their other locations.  The artichoke slice is a big delicious mess.  Can't wait til they open up.

Offline dawnlovesthierry

• Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 02:21:59 PM »
Am I reading their website right?  $30 for a pizza?   :shocked:

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 02:44:58 PM »
Anyone got confirmation of this?

This is really old news - Eater confirmed it in December and the rumors started end of last summer.

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 03:08:57 PM »
I just checked the menu.  A slice costs over $4.  That is totally ridiculous and the price of the pies is also ridiculous.  For sure I'm not going there.  Razzie's slice costs $2.50. That's what a slice should cost

Offline round2

• Running for Mayor
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 03:18:47 PM »
I really like Rose and Joe's pizza, myself, and have occasionally enjoyed slices from Rosario's, also. I know Artichoke Basille would be bringing in a different kind of pizza, and maybe Razzie's does too.

Will have to find out if the quality of ingredients and preparation at Razzie's is good. If so, $2.50 a slice is a good deal. If Artichoke Basille is offering an interesting variety and high quality of pizza slices, I may be happy to have it as another neighborhood option. Don't fence me in (to only mid-20th-century old school pizza)!

Offline Whsprint

• Tourist
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 09:37:53 PM »
I just checked the menu.  A slice costs over $4.  That is totally ridiculous and the price of the pies is also ridiculous.  For sure I'm not going there.  Razzie's slice costs $2.50. That's what a slice should cost

I have had the artichoke pizza from their place on 14th st - it is really good.  I was initially skeptical of the idea of artichoke on pizza, but my friends made me eat their pizza and my life changed.  It is really full of cheese compared to a traditional pizza.   One slice is enough for a meal - i would normally have 2 slices of a traditional pizza.  Artichoke pizza is probably my favorite nontraditional pizza in nyc.

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 07:51:10 AM »
I passed by there 2 times this weekend and it wasn't crowded at all.  I guess the excitement wore off or people don't think the pizza is so great

Offline King of Long Island City

• Council Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 10:57:31 PM »
Or it just wasn't crowded when you walked by.

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 07:57:58 AM »
Or it just wasn't crowded when you walked by.

It was lunchtime on Saturday and Sunday. That's when it should be very crowded

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 08:02:52 AM »
I passed by there 2 times this weekend and it wasn't crowded at all.  I guess the excitement wore off or people don't think the pizza is so great

When it first opened there were so many people there that some people said they had to wait 40 minutes for a slice. Now I guess people don't have to wait because the excitement has worn off and it's not crowded anymore

Offline samgucci

• Citizen
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 09:27:16 AM »
Or people weren't sitting in a pizza place during the middle of a beautiful day. Or Greek Easter.

Offline Demetra

• Citizen
  • Astorian since '77
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 10:56:18 AM »
Does anyone know what's going on with Artichoke Basile?  I noticed the gates have been 1/2 way closed the past few days.  No signage or anything.

Offline JeffE93

• Activist
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 12:44:42 PM »
Artichoke was temporarily closed by the Health Department.  Live mice on the premises, among other violations
Astoria Post

Offline moose

• Resident
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 02:55:07 PM »
CLOSED by health dept

Offline angela1969

• Activist
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 04:32:48 PM »
March 20, Staff Report

A trendy Astoria pizza joint was temporarily shut down for health code violations last week.
The Astoria location of citywide chain Artichoke Basille’s Pizza was shut down at the end of last week for racking up 33 health code violation points during a routine inspection, according to the Department of Health website.
The chain has nine locations throughout the city, and the Astoria branch located at 22-56 31st Street opened in March 2015. The pizzeria is best known for its creamy artichoke dip topped slice.
According to the report, the Astoria branch had several violations leading to its shutdown. The report listed one critical violation for the presence of live mice on the premises, and it was also penalized for not being properly vermin-proofed.
The Health Department doles out letter grades based on a point system, with more points equaling more serious sanitation issues. Any restaurant that receives between zero and 13 points receives an A grade, any receiving between 14 and 27 points gets a B grade, and any with 28 or more points gets a C grade. Each point value is assigned based on the size and scale of the violation.
However, if certain violations are considered especially problematic, the Health Department can shut down the restaurant. Once a restaurant is shut down by the Health Department, it will be re-inspected once per month until it scores below 28 points, or the Department will close it for serious and persistent violations.   THIS WAS IN THE ASTORIA POST 3/20/17 -

Offline wannabehippie

• Citizen
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 07:39:21 PM »
The fruit stand next store was shut down as well.

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2017, 08:13:08 AM »
They got 33 violations from the health department and were closed down. They had live mice running around. I hope they dont reopen

Offline BoredTemp

• Running for Mayor
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2017, 11:05:06 AM »
sign was off the door this morning and gate was up. I guess they're back.

Offline beansiegal

• Citizen
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2017, 01:32:31 PM »
The problem with Artichoke, beyond their more recent violations, is that this location (and frankly all of them not on 14th Street in the city) is the quality is just not the same.  I went a couple of times and the pizza tastes old and the ingredients aren't as tasty.  Really a shame because the one on 14th Street is superb. 

Offline angela1969

• Activist
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2017, 07:34:45 AM »
I had bought two (2) groupons for them and got my money back --

Offline TJT

• Senator
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2017, 01:14:52 PM »
I agree that something isn't right here.  And yes - the location is unfortunate right at the stairs since it's very dark and dreary there.  The food never impressed me the few times I tried it.  The place is never very clean inside.  Last week I walked by and the windows were filthy.  Like someone tried to clean them with a dirty rag.  Yet despite it all, they seem to always have a good number of people inside.  It's too bad because this part of town lacks "specialty pizza" (as if we need that).  Via Vai and Tuffino also have problems, IMO.  None of them come close to Basil Brick Oven or Milkflower. 

Offline braun

• Running for Governor
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2017, 08:01:27 AM »
The problem with Artichoke, beyond their more recent violations, is that this location (and frankly all of them not on 14th Street in the city) is the quality is just not the same.  I went a couple of times and the pizza tastes old and the ingredients aren't as tasty.  Really a shame because the one on 14th Street is superb.

It was a good location for Frankie's Pizza

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life