relax

Author Topic: Dutch-process cocoa powder, aka 'processed with alkali'  (Read 1636 times)

Offline wildplanet

• Resident
Dutch-process cocoa powder, aka 'processed with alkali'
« on: November 28, 2014, 01:59:29 PM »
This is a special kind of cocoa powder for baking. It MUST have the exact words on the box: Dutch or Dutch-process or 'processed with alkali'. If it doesn't have those exact words, it's the wrong thing. Hershey's used to make it, in a silver box, but they don't make it any more.

The Hershey's you see everywhere in the brown box is NOT Dutch process.

This is not something you can just mix with milk to make hot chocolate. It is raw cocoa powder for baking.

Offline Bentleys Dad

• Governor
Re: Dutch-process cocoa powder, aka 'processed with alkali'
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 10:00:17 PM »
Why do you say that raw cocoa powder can't be used for making hot chocolate but only for baking?The way you say it makes it sound as if it's a bd thing. In many countries like Mexico and Guatemala the cocoa powder that's used to make hot chocolate is raw and not processed with alkali. Besides, I've always used raw cocoa powder for making hot chocolate (when I'm not using bittersweet chocolate bars of a very high quality) and nothing ever happened to me.
if you stand for nothing you will fall for anything

Offline Miss you gangsta

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 10:16:31 PM »
I can't remember seeing it anywhere locally.  When I need it (which is pretty rare) I end up getting in online from King Arthur Flour. Shipping is pretty fast.

Hope that is a little helpful.

Offline bstewart

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 11:56:29 PM »
Droste’s is pretty widely available, or you can get it from amazon.

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 12:55:04 PM »
Droste’s is pretty widely available, or you can get it from amazon.

Where in the neighborhood is Droste available?

Offline bstewart

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 06:16:13 PM »
After six months of looking, today I found it at the 43rd St. and 30th Ave. Key Food store. It’s on the opposite side of the aisle from the common Hershey or Nestle brands, at the end of the aisle, next to some fair trade coffee and other obscure stuff.

Probably too late for the original poster’s holiday baking, but maybe this year—

Offline astorians35

• Resident Visa
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 12:12:38 PM »
The original poster wasn't really exactly correct. Dutch process cocoa powder is not raw (hence the name "dutch process"). It's washed in potassium carbonate which strips the acid from it. This acid is generally replaced in recipes with baking powder.

Baking can be done with dutch process cocoa powder or without. It's best to just use whatever is specified in a recipe, but should be interchangeable in a pinch (although some minor changes to texture and rise would be apparent).

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life