relax

Author Topic: Martial arts school suggestions in Astoria???  (Read 1753 times)

Offline yippee1999

• Council Member
Martial arts school suggestions in Astoria???
« on: November 16, 2014, 08:46:58 PM »

I want to try a martial art so my question is two-fold:

Can someone give simple summary of differences between say Tae Kwan Do and Aikido (which seem to be the most popular/commonly found at schools in Astoria)?

And since there seem to be a good number of schools in Astoria, is there anyone here who knows the different ones and would recommend a particular one?  And if so, please explain why you prefer that school.  Thanks!

btw I live by Steinway and Ditmars but would go to another part of Astoria...would prefer classes weeknights 700p ish or else on the weekend...  want to take a martial art not just for personal safety but to keep in shape...and also to learn 'how to fall' (which is very important as we get older! ;-)

Offline mm

• Council Member
Re: Martial arts school suggestions in Astoria???
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 11:44:52 PM »
You can start by reading the entries on wikipedia of course;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taekwondo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aikido

I became friends with a guy who had black belts in both (and a third martial art) and from what I can tell Aikido is the least practical despite looking super-cool when Steven Segal does it (not really). Tae Kwon Do is probably "better" for self defense if you want that to be a part of it.

Personally though I'd look into mixed martial arts instead if you want fitness and practicality. I think Sitan gym on Steinway north of 28th Ave has a good reputation, or at least it used to. Might be worth looking into.

Offline yippee1999

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 01:25:11 PM »

Thanks for the info.  I checked out Sitan online, and while it seems to have a stellar reputation, most reviews seemed to mention Muay Thai....I get the sense Sitan is more about boxing. 

So...any other suggestions on places in Astoria for martial arts, and if so, please tell me why you'd recommend that place.

Tx!

Offline mm

• Council Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 02:21:59 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I checked out Sitan online, and while it seems to have a stellar reputation, most reviews seemed to mention Muay Thai....I get the sense Sitan is more about boxing. 

Not sure I understand. Muay Thai is a martial art and should include anything from boxing to kicking to clinching.

Offline yippee1999

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 02:10:23 PM »

...continuing on this conversation...

does anyone have an idea as to why there seem to be so many martial arts schools in Astoria?  Not sure if it's just my imagination but there seems to be quite a number of them just in the parts of Astoria that I pass thru...so I'm sure there's even more that I'm missing...but like just along Steinway and 31st Street and Ditmars I think I've seen like 7 different martial arts places...

Also, I know there is a Brazilian population here so I'm thinking there must be a place for capoeira in Astoria.  Anyone know of a place that teaches that in Astoria?

Tku!

Offline mm

• Council Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 03:16:29 PM »
I know some think of Capoeira as a martial art. I don't however. To me a martial art has to have at least the potential of causing physical damage in a practical setting. Capoeria to me is closer to some dance-cardio thing than martial art.

As for your question: No, unfortunately I'm not aware of a place that teaches it. I'd guess you could find a place though.

Offline yippee1999

• Council Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 06:56:06 PM »

are you sure capoeira cant cause damage in a practical sense?  i seem to recall hearing that the reason it appears more like dance is purposeful....maybe because ex-slaves in brazil wanted to be able to protect themselves without the masters or whatever knowing what they were up to...so they pretended they were practicing dancing when in fact they were teaching each other a martial art?

Offline mm

• Council Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 07:05:11 PM »
Well, what I mean is that of course it can cause damage if someone is standing watching a Capoeira practitioner not expecting to get kicked in the nuts for example. But what I also mean is that you never ever see anyone do well in any mixed martial arts competitions if they have a background solely or mainly in Capoeira. It's just not practical. Same way you don't see many prominent fighters with a background in Aikido. Both look great. Both probably are great for a great deal of reasons, just not practical self-defense or fighting. Typically, if you watch MMA, it seems that people who do well come from arts that are pretty practical, such as boxing, wrestling, jiu-jitsu (especially Brasilian it seems), judo and muai-thai. Not Kung-Fu, Aikido, or Capoeira.

If taking it "for personal safety" is a concern then I would absolutely rule out the ones I mentioned in favor of the, uh, other ones I mentioned... you know what I mean. If you just want something with history, something spiritual, something that'll keep you fit etc but not keeping you safe, then I'm pretty sure the others will do just fine.

Offline LaoWombat

• Activist
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 09:03:10 PM »
Re:  Aikido not practical for self defense.

At the Aikido school I studied in in Manhattan, the school students were about 40% law enforcement (including Secret Service) and about the same percentage dancers/actors for the movement training/agility

Cops liked the Chin Na aspects for controlling another person, joint locks, etc. and if memory serves, it is one of the few martial arts that teaches ground work, when you are on the ground but still effective.

Also, Segal was trained in Aikido, but it is not necessarily what is used in his movies.

I hear good things about TKD but wonder if you will have have need of a high kick, unless you want to beat up equestrians.

FWIW
Zen signature below

Offline mm

• Council Member
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 10:40:54 PM »
website ate my post...  :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Re:  Aikido not practical for self defense.

At the Aikido school I studied in in Manhattan, the school students were about 40% law enforcement (including Secret Service) and about the same percentage dancers/actors for the movement training/agility

Cops liked the Chin Na aspects for controlling another person, joint locks, etc. and if memory serves, it is one of the few martial arts that teaches ground work, when you are on the ground but still effective.

Cops have to submit people to bring them in. If they pose any bigger threat than what a simple submission can accomplish then they typical draw their guns (and use them). So I while there's stuff that works in Aikido, like in other arts, I question the value as self-defense. After all: Suppose you end up in a fight - do you want to submit your opponent with a joint lock? What if the person is a bit drunk or high and can't properly feel the pain and understand the threat? They'd just let you snap that finger and keep fighting. Or what if they move at you while their buddies are watching, you submit them, and while you're waiting for the dude to give up or you snap the finger - what if the buddies decide to join in? I would think the best defense would be to quickly and thoroughly incapacitate the attacker, by a punch or kick or something.

Also, Segal was trained in Aikido, but it is not necessarily what is used in his movies.

Segal was a crappy actor. Is an annoying person. And the stuff on screen is choreographed. I'm sure he's good at what he does, but I doubt he's significantly more efficient at real life fighting than Jet Li or Keanu Reeves.

I hear good things about TKD but wonder if you will have have need of a high kick, unless you want to beat up equestrians.

:cheesy:

That's funny!!!

Well, again, if there's space and someone is attacking and it's the best way to knock them out then why not? If I had the choice between joint lock and kick in the face (I don't, I'm flexible as a slab of concrete) then I'd choose the latter and end it asap.

While we're on the topic of TKD though; my friend who's a blackbelt in it mentioned that apparently there are different ways of teaching it, with some teachers and schools focusing heavily on producing successful competitors. But these students learn how to fight for points, not real life effectiveness. He even mentioned some of them thinking they're all that after winning, and then picking fights in bars only to get their asses kicked by a drunk guy who couldn't feel their punches (they'd have scored points though...:-)

So if one is serious about self-defense it probably pays off to figure the reputation and focus of the school. But again, I'd look into a place that teaches mixed martial arts if self-defense is one of the goals. If it isn't then I'm sure both Capoeira and Aikido is fun and rewarding.

Offline astoria101

• Citizen
  • 11106 - Kaufman Arts District, Dutch Kills, LIC
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 12:08:22 AM »
Just to stay on topic (at least for yipee1999's question):

http://www.abaracapoeira.com/#!schedule/c1n0f

Offline TBRays

• Campaigning for Council
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 06:52:34 PM »
Have you thought about Muay Thai or MMA I think there a few of those schools in Astoria. Not sure about Muay Thai I think they are all in Manhattan.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life