relax

Author Topic: Astoria Pool Melee  (Read 15044 times)

nycatexas

Astoria Pool Melee
« on: August 02, 2006, 08:18:26 PM »
Megc and Daisy, be glad you went to the pool this afternoon. I was a little too quick in my praise yesterday of the Astoria Pool.  I'm going to post the letter I'm writing to Vallone's office in a little bit but for now I will tell you that I stood in line for 3 hours, did NOT get into the pool and a huge riot and a raid of the swimsuit vendor ensued near the end, but right now I'm getting in a cold shower.

Offline cabanird

• Senator
    • Handmade Items
Re: Astoria Pool Melee
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 09:36:37 PM »
after that shower... please elaborate? :? :-o
"the sun will rise in Queens and I will Shine..." The Exit

abichuela

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 10:41:07 PM »
Yes, please tell. What a teaser! What could have happened to cause a riot at the Astoria Park Pool?!

Did the swimsuit vendor run out of tankini tops? Or perhaps the shower inspector was being too stringent and making everyone double-shower? Or could it be that the Con Ed president tried to sneak in a dip disguised as a regular Astoria pool-goer and then got attacked by angry mobs and took the swimsuit vendor and the shower inspector down with him? I'm so intrigued...

Megc & Daisy - did you make it in and out of the pool unscathed today?

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 11:29:55 PM »
What the hell happened???  I'm confused!!!  I went at 1pm and there was no line at all and went in with a breeze.  No one said anything to me, even the shower rule was foregone due to the ultra hot water.  I left at 3pm when they kicked us all out for the end of session one, so I don't know what happened after that.  There were a lot of people there though.  NycTexas, do tell!!  What happened???

Offline RoverNYC

• Council Member
    • http://flickr.com/photos/judsonkniffen/
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 11:51:29 PM »
This was mentioned on the ch.4 news tonight- the pool got shut down early, but the authorities gave no explanation.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 12:08:57 AM »
What happened at the pool?

nycatexas

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 01:17:31 AM »
This letter is really long so I hope it is okay to post it here. Needless to say that I will be in line in plenty of time tomorrow for the pool. Daisy I will prob be there by at least 3:30. I know most of you think I am really nice and sweet, with my Texas twang and all, but you would have seen a much different side of me yesterday!  :evil:

nycatexas

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 01:19:09 AM »
Dear Council Member Vallone,

I would like to tell you what happened at the Astoria Park swimming pool yesterday (Wednesday) during the record-breaking heat wave.

I arrived at the pool at 5:00 pm and the line was almost to the end of the park. It started moving and within 40 minutes I was at the corner of the building just 3 steps from the entrance gate. At this time the security guards came out and started shouting for us all to go home because the pool is closed. It was 5:45 pm. This was the first sign of an employee I had seen during my 40-minute wait. As the crowd grew restless and shouted back questions the guards ignored everyone and walked back inside the gate, which was then closed. The sentiment going through the crowd was that the pool was open until 8:00 pm and everyone was staying in line hoping to get inside.

At this point I had been in line for more than an hour and called 311 to make a complaint. While I was on the phone to 311, two of the female security guards, now in their street clothes and leaving for the day, were shouting that we were all “fools for hanging around because there was no way we were getting in because the pool was full to capacity.” I shouted (to be heard over the crowd) to her that if people came out won’t people be let in? She addressed me with a racial slur (she is black, I am white) and told me to f**k off and to shut my mouth. This happened while I was on the phone to 311. I asked her name and she looked at me and laughed. The crowd was not happy with her response. I should also mention that while waiting at the top of the stairs we all noticed that a portion of the pool was closed for lap swimming – there were TWO people swimming laps while 500 or more waited to get inside the pool This did not go over well either.

Now it is about 6:15 pm and still no one has come out to address the 500 or so people waiting fairly patiently in line. This entire time the police assigned to the pool were nowhere in sight. The crowd started to become more restless and a couple of shouting/pushing matches broke out but nothing major - yet.

The people waiting in line were very orderly but as time passed more and more “line jumpers” crowded the front gate area while all of the blue-shirted “staff” and the green-shirted “parks and recreation” people talked among themselves or on their cellphones ignoring the questions from the crowd. The employees did nothing to keep these people back from this area and the throng continued to grow. People continued to exit the pool but no one else was allowed entry.

At 6:45 pm the lifeguards started blowing their whistles for everyone to exit the pool. The crowd outside was relieved because we thought everyone inside was going to made to leave so we, who had been waiting for 2 hours, could go to the pool.

As people were ready to exit, the employees still did nothing and soon the waiting area outside the locker rooms was stuffed with people trying to get out. Instead of opening the main gates for people to leave they were being directed to a back exit. I started shouting “Miss, Miss” to the young female employee (blue-shirt) who had been on her cellphone for the past hour and a half. She looked at me and kept talking. I shouted “Sir, Sir” to a green-shirted man. He ignored me. So I started cussing like a sailor screaming as loud as I could that we wanted to know the name of the person who shut down the pool when the Mayor said it was open until 8 pm. My cussing finally got the man’s attention in the green-shirt. He came near the gate and I told him we all wanted to know the person’s name. He gave me a good, long sarcastic look and said “Edgar the Lifeguard”. Then turned around to another employee and said “That bitch thinks she’s gonna get a name - please.”  When he turned around I saw his name was Mr. Ward.  The employee on the cellphone stared at me while she talked loudly to another employee about how much she hated white people. The Hispanic man waiting in front of me become so angry that he started yelling at her for talking to me like that - he said this made him more mad than not being let into the pool. Now many of us were clamoring for the name of someone in charge, every time the employee  would just give us dirty looks or would turn their backs and walk away.

By this time I had made a second call to 311 to make another complaint and I told them the situation was about to get out of hand and that the cops were nowhere, the employees were ignoring us and someone needed to be in charge. I debated whether to call 911, and in retrospect I should have, but really didn’t want to get on the bad side of the crowd by calling in the law. I encouraged everyone to call 311 to file a complaint and to call your office.

Meanwhile we are all standing there watching people leave, the pool is empty and there is still an hour of swim time left. Still the gates remained shut and  the employees ignored the crowd. The situation had reached a boiling point.

Someone threw a half-empty bottle of water into the gated area at one of the guards but it hit a little girl in the foot. The mother starts shouting at the crowd and throws the bottle back, which opened up a floodgate of trash, food and plastic bottles being hurled back and forth over the gate. Still no cops. Then POP, POPPOP - just like everyone says it sounded like a firecracker. The people go berserk, half of them trying to get out of there and the other half becoming a  mob which attack and loot the swimsuit vendor completely destroying his tables, tent, racks and merchandise. Still no cops.

I stay by the gate, not wanting to get trampled and now very determined to get some names of the inept pool employees. Now the cops arrive. Not the cops assigned to the pool, they are still inside somewhere. About a dozen officers show up and keep telling the 20 or so people still at the gate that THE POOL IS CLOSED and for us to leave. We tell the cops we want names and they just keep trying to get us to leave. POP, POPPOP, POP - cops start scrambling up the hill to the sidewalk and all hell breaks loose again up there. Then some of the pool cops exit the screen door which I assume leads to the pool offices. They didn’t actually come out of the gates though, they stayed inside the pool area. They also ignored the questions about who was in charge.

Many of us continued to try to talk to the employees about who is in charge, trying to get names of people and we were totally ignored. I tried to get the girl’s name who “hates white people” but 3 employees told me they weren’t going to give out ANY names. Finally at about 7:30 pm we managed to talk to Venice Smith, who didn’t want to take any responsibility either when she said “I’m just one of the supervisors.” She did tell me the girl’s name on the cellphone was LaToya Argo. And then refused to answer any other questions.

Now, Mr. Vallone, I understand that the pool had reached capacity but surely this isn’t the first time. Isn’t there a better system that is more fair to the majority?

Ultimately blame has to be placed on the heads of the pool/park staff and the police.. If they had done their job by keeping the crowd more informed in a more positive way and keeping the gate area clear, the situation would not have gotten so out of control. And the police should have been there for crowd control. What are the employees there for? They aren’t lifeguards - they don’t clean the locker area - what is it they do besides sit around (yes, there are chairs there for all the employees to lounge in), talk on their cellphones, hurl racial/rude comments at their customers and collect city wages? Why were we treated like this when Mayor Bloomberg tells us over and over to turn off the air conditioners and “head to the pool”?

I appreciate everything you are trying to do for the residents of Queens after we suffered through the week-long blackout. I hope you can do something about the Astoria Pool situation as well.

Sincerely,
Cathy Albright
(address deleted for posting)

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 03:48:09 AM »
Wow. What the heck is going on with Astoria? Has it always been this bad or am I just noticing it now? It almost feels like the city's trying to get people to leave by treating us like second-class citizens. This is such a calm, friendly place, and we're being treated horribly lately.

Offline okkichan

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 07:03:51 AM »
i just don't understand racism. everyone is hot. and everyone lives here. i'm sadden by that most of all.

Offline jayme

• Senator
  • friends of mine
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 08:41:55 AM »
I went to the pool Tuesday hoping for adult lap swim but expecting extended hours.

They let regular swim continue on until 7:40 (adult lap swim usually starts at 7:00) and after the exodus from the pool, I asked a life guard about lap swim.  She reported there had been "some sort of riot" on Tuesday as well which prompted them to extend the swim time until 7:40 and cancel lap swim.  The lifeguards had ejected the entire crowd from the pool earlier in the day and the extra 45 minutes of swim were added on as a peace keeping measure.

The times seemed arbitrary.  The riots are weird.  It seems like the pool just makes up it's own rules at the moment.

I checked around for extended hours/lap swim info on heat emergency days -- and usually, as I understand it, the pool hours are extended until 7:30 (1/2 an hour) and lapswim is bumped back 1/2 an hour (starting at 7:30) -- which conflicts with nyc.gov's announcement that pools would be open until 8:00pm.  Confusing.

Anyhow I didn't even try for adult swim yesterday.

Send the letter to the mayor as well! 

cheers,
jayme
These are pigs.
See francis's friends for kitties.

nycatexas

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 09:28:53 AM »
I went Tuesday as well but things were a lot better. I got there about 4 and was in the pool before 4:30. They did make everyone get out for just a few minutes when some people playing too rough in the pool wouldn't heed the lifeguards warnings. But that was only about 10 minutes. I left about 7:30 so I didn't see anything bad happen on Tuesday - I was so impressed but that bubble was quickly burst yesterday!

One of the things that really made me mad yesterday was how all of the employees were trying to act like they were SO F**KING overworked - that "supervisor" Venice especially. We had watched her for a while sitting around, laughing, drinking her water while we were all standing there sweltering and smelling the ever-growing stench of b.o. When she finally comes to the gate she is constantly wiping her non-sweating face with a rag and trying to make a face like she is dying a tortured death and acts like she can barely speak. We had been hearing her loud mouth talk about what idiots we were for 2 hours.....Then I say something about her speaking up and SHE wants to tell ME about how hot SHE is? Please - me and about 5 other people tell her that if she didn't want to work outside in the heat TO GET ANOTHER JOB and not tell us about it. I mean I don't see the Con Ed people with their protective work uniforms acting like this so I don't think someone who I have seen sitting for 2 hours in the shade should act like this. It was so ridiculous. But I'll be damned if it keeps me from trying to get into the pool again today!

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 09:31:44 AM »
Wow, Cathy, that's pretty awful.  I'm sorry you got caught in it.  What a wierd thing to happen, though!  The racism seems uncalled for, too.  Glad you wrote the letter to Vallone, and I second the suggestion to send it to the Mayor as well.

Offline Costas

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 09:38:31 AM »
I havent gone to that pool since I was a youngster. There was a couple actually having sex in the pool. A gang of kids beat the living crap out of someone that day as well.

Personally I prefer a good vacation than having to be subjected to that. 

As far as I am concerned. They need to shut that place down, fire everyone. Lets see how overworked they would be then.

nycatexas

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 09:39:49 AM »
As far as I am concerned. They need to shut that place down, fire everyone. Lets see how overworked they would be then.

Exactly. I'm hoping Mr. Ward and LaToya Argo get their arses canned and think of me everyday while they are unemployed!

Astorians

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 09:39:49 AM »

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life