relax

Author Topic: Yoga for chubby men  (Read 1630 times)

Offline ibeacco

• Resident
Yoga for chubby men
« on: July 31, 2014, 04:58:39 PM »
Hello,
I'm a 37 years old out of shape father of two and I would like to give yoga a try. I wouldn't be feeling comfortable starting in a class with a group of 20 years old skinny girls and my experience may end before even beginning.
Does anybody know of a chubby hubby friendly yoga place for beginners that won't make me feel like the elephant in the room (or gorilla for that matter).
Thanks folks!
Ivan

Offline KidMurdock

• Senator
  • just a dude
Re: Yoga for chubby men
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 07:20:38 AM »
Best of luck to you. As a husky dude, I've been to beginners classes at the Yoga room and normal classes at Agora, and never quite felt comfortable at either. Part of it is that I don't really like class based exercise, and I always felt like the huge, sweaty elephant in the room.
I would say that The Yoga Room was the much better option of the two. When I would go it was late Saturday mornings, and the beginners classes typically had 8-10 other people in them. The instructor was great about helping my not-so-flexible self into the variety of poses the best I could. You can try classes there one at a time if you'd like, to get a feel.
That said, without private, at home instruction, I don't know that you're going to find a yoga studio that isn't filled with intimidatingly fit people, really anywhere. Best of luck to you, yoga is a hell of a workout.
kid.murdock
::true friends will always be there::

Offline ladydi

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 08:01:07 AM »
I've never been to the Yoga Room, but I would trust Kid's recommendation.

I have one too though that won't cost you anything.

One of the instructors from Yoga Agora, Juan, is teaching free yoga in Astoria Park every Wednesday night at 7:00 until Labor Day (weather permitting!).

The spot is on the grass between the skateboard area and the playground that's on the way to the pool.

Usually the group is about 10 - 12 people of all shapes, sizes and skill levels.

The class is vinyasa style, meaning that each movement leads to the next one so you're not holding poses for long amounts of time. That might sound strenuous, but it's actually better for a beginner.

Juan keeps the pace moderate too so everyone can follow. He's very encouraging and can also offer modifications if something doesn't feel right or you have any injury/challenge to work with.

I'm a fitness fiend and I've been doing yoga for a few years and I prefer this class. My boyfriend, who is fit but had never done yoga before, likes the class too since he's just starting out.

I think it's a nice way to ease into yoga by trying it a few times to see how you like it. I find I need to do a new activity/class at least 3 - 5 times before I know if it's for me or not.

You can get more info and register at the City View Pharmacy website - they sponsor the program:

cityviewpharmacy.com

Offline LHT

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 02:44:38 AM »
I'd vote for Yoga Agora on Broadway and would enourage you to find a class with Nick as the instructor.  I went a few minutes early and was totally honest with him that I'd never done this before, was a bit nervous and didn't want to feel akward.  He was so reassuring, led the class with ease, but came over and really made an effort to help me out when I probably had the most confused look on my face.  You do have to get over the fact that there will be a cirque du solei gumby-like waif next to you, but who cares.  The idea of a 'hot room' was enough to steer me away from Yoga Room.  The Giving Tree sounded like they had interesting beginner classes but when I called them the attitude was horrible and they basically said if I wasn't in good shape already then I'd probably have issues even with their beginner classes - next...!  Good luck with the exploration and have fun with it.   

Offline KidMurdock

• Senator
  • just a dude
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 04:00:28 AM »
Yoga room, at least when I went, had both hot and "normal" yoga rooms. The normal rooms were enough that I looked like I had taken the ice bucket challenge, but with sweat instead of ice water at the end of them. But then classes at Agora did that too.
kid.murdock
::true friends will always be there::

Offline Mer

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 04:05:19 PM »
My only yoga experiences have been at Yoga Agora and The Giving Tree.   I liked the affordability of Yoga Agora, but the classes I've attended were super crowded and I felt very self conscious as both a beginner and not in the best shape person.  I've started going to The Giving Tree (despite it being on the other side of the neighborhood from me) because they offer a donation only restorative yoga class for cancer survivors.  That class has been a godsend for me.  I started taking a few other beginner friendly classes there and liked it so much that I'm now going regularly.  I've been pleasantly surprised by the diversity of people and body types I've encountered in the classes.  I feel right at home and the instructors have been really supportive and encouraging.  Anyway, I'm probably coming off as too effusive about the place, but I'm very grateful to have this studio and all they offer in my life right now.

Offline rene0226

• Council Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 10:42:38 AM »
I recommend The Giving Tree Yoga Studio on 31st Street between 23rd Avenue and Ditamars Blvd.  Check out their website.
Truth is one, Paths are many

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life