relax

Author Topic: Westway Motor Inn-Homeless Shelter  (Read 7862 times)

Offline holyfrjole

• Council Member
Re: Westway Motor Inn-Homeless Shelter
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2015, 04:56:23 PM »

It's been said before but nobody has a problem with homeless shelters. I'm all for the homeless having a place to stay. But don't put a shelter in the middle of a quiet community and, in doing so, start to ruin the quiet community. There are plenty of other locations for shelters away from families, schools and private homes.

So you don't have a problem with homeless shelters, as long as they aren't near other families, schools, or homes? Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds? Do you realize how AWFUL that makes YOU sound?

We're all one disaster away from being any one of those families. Keep that in mind before you decide they aren't worthy enough to live among you.

Offline The Greek

• Citizen
  • Life-long Astorian
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2015, 03:08:00 AM »

So you don't have a problem with homeless shelters, as long as they aren't near other families, schools, or homes? Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds? Do you realize how AWFUL that makes YOU sound?

We're all one disaster away from being any one of those families. Keep that in mind before you decide they aren't worthy enough to live among you.

You're an idiot, plain and simple.

If you want to be a Saint go and spend a day with these people at the Westway Motor Inn. Go spend one day with them and come back and tell me how terrible I am.

The homeless should have a place to stay. Unfortunately a large percentage of homeless are also drug addicts, alcoholics, ex-cons, mentally ill, career criminals or all of the above. That being the case, yes, it's totally understandable to keep them away from a family community.

Offline holyfrjole

• Council Member
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2015, 01:20:01 PM »

You're an idiot, plain and simple.

If you want to be a Saint go and spend a day with these people at the Westway Motor Inn. Go spend one day with them and come back and tell me how terrible I am.

The homeless should have a place to stay. Unfortunately a large percentage of homeless are also drug addicts, alcoholics, ex-cons, mentally ill, career criminals or all of the above. That being the case, yes, it's totally understandable to keep them away from a family community.

A large percentage of homeless are families who have been displaced due to poverty, disaster, and other life events that lead to a sudden change in their housing situation. I work with an indigent population, many of whom have been in the shelter system at some point. We're not talking about the mentally ill or the drug addicted, we're talking about families with children who can't afford a place to stay. Using your logic, they're not supposed to be in a "family community" either.

And I'm the idiot?

At least I can show compassion to my fellow man, something that, unfortunately, those who object to the Westway's usage as a homeless shelter lack.

I supposed you liked it much better when they charged by the hour. Very family oriented.

Offline 28Grand

• Global Moderator
  • Senator
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2015, 03:18:41 PM »
To follow up on this story, the convicted child molester placed in a shelter for families has been removed.

http://www.timesledger.com/stories/2015/6/costaspeech_tl_2015_02_06_q.html

holyfrjole, I'm in total agreement with you but I wanted to ask, do you have any insight why this individual was placed at the Westway? To me, it plays right into the fears of residents living near the shelter and promotes distrust between residents and the city. If Westway is supposed to house families, this was a very poor decision for everyone.

Offline holyfrjole

• Council Member
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2015, 10:23:07 PM »
To follow up on this story, the convicted child molester placed in a shelter for families has been removed.

http://www.timesledger.com/stories/2015/6/costaspeech_tl_2015_02_06_q.html

holyfrjole, I'm in total agreement with you but I wanted to ask, do you have any insight why this individual was placed at the Westway? To me, it plays right into the fears of residents living near the shelter and promotes distrust between residents and the city. If Westway is supposed to house families, this was a very poor decision for everyone.

Honestly, I don't know how this person ended up there. Keep in mind, there are families with young children living there, and it's not in the city's best interest to put anyone at risk, especially when they're relying on the city to provide safe housing.

The residents in the shelter deserve to be as safe as the residents outside of the shelter.

Offline Eamonn

• Council Member

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life