relax

Author Topic: Driving school  (Read 2497 times)

Offline StephanieL

• Running for Senate
Driving school
« on: June 24, 2014, 09:32:18 AM »
My partner and I are going to need driving lessons soon and wanted to get some recommendations for driving schools in the neighborhood.  Good, patient instructors and reasonable prices a must.  Thanks.

Offline therebels

• Citizen
Re: Driving school
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 02:12:39 PM »
Ferrari driving school is my choice.

Offline Starwind51

• Governor
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 04:26:43 PM »
I have to point out, a few years ago, after a great number of accidents/other issues with truck drivers, a teacher from Ferrari said, in a hidden shadow interview, "You see these truck drivers and wonder where they got their licences?  That's Ferrari.".

I know that Ferrari is the school we most associate with this area, but I hope there will be more responses, because I need a recommendation also.

I'll also point out, most driving schools teach you to move the car around; only experience, and hopefully a passenger with a lot more experience, can really teach you to drive.  You don't actually have to take any lessons to get a license.

Offline geowrld

• Running for Mayor
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 09:45:37 PM »
I used Ferrari when I needed some stick coaching for a trip to Europe (where even if you reserve an automatic there's no guarantee).

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THEM!!!!  They are awful. 

First - the practice car was so full of garbage you couldn't see the floor.  Seriously.  With the exception of the driver's side I COULD NOT SEE THE FLOOR.

Second - the guy who was the "teacher" was a sexist, vile, idiot who (a) does NOT know how to drive - he was teaching me to slow down at EVERY corner and beep my horn.  What the hell is that?  I've been driving for years - I never heard of that technique and frankly it sounds dangerous and noise polluting, and (b) thought that it was appropriate to list for me all the "beautiful women" he's taught to drive and what a wonderful teacher he is.

This place is a sham and a disgrace.  The only way they make money is because it's such a limited market.  I wish I could recommend another business to give you an alternative but I just don't know of one.  I'm sure they exist.  Avoid this place.

Offline ATB24

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 10:11:17 PM »
lol, that's a funny story about Ferrari. I would checkout Yelp and see if you can find some good reviews there

Offline Rane3

• Campaigning for Council
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 11:25:56 AM »
I used Ferrari when I needed some stick coaching for a trip to Europe (where even if you reserve an automatic there's no guarantee).

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THEM!!!!  They are awful. 

First - the practice car was so full of garbage you couldn't see the floor.  Seriously.  With the exception of the driver's side I COULD NOT SEE THE FLOOR.

Second - the guy who was the "teacher" was a sexist, vile, idiot who (a) does NOT know how to drive - he was teaching me to slow down at EVERY corner and beep my horn.  What the hell is that?  I've been driving for years - I never heard of that technique and frankly it sounds dangerous and noise polluting, and (b) thought that it was appropriate to list for me all the "beautiful women" he's taught to drive and what a wonderful teacher he is.

This place is a sham and a disgrace.  The only way they make money is because it's such a limited market.  I wish I could recommend another business to give you an alternative but I just don't know of one.  I'm sure they exist.  Avoid this place.
That's quite funny actually. Not to pardon his behavior, but when you're driving in a village with tight often barely one lane roads or on the mountains with similar conditions, it is customary to beep your horn before going around the corner to warn oncoming traffic and vice versa. At night you flash your high beams. Not sure if you mentioned the location in your trip, or he just assumed you would be in a more rural setting, but this is a valid practice.
Have you been brainwashed today?

Offline StephanieL

• Running for Senate
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 08:40:36 PM »
So there's no one else in the neighborhood who anyone would recommend?  That's a bit disappointing.

Offline C-J

• Senator
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 09:38:38 AM »
A couple of years ago my husband took lessons from the place by the train at Ditmars and had a pleasant experience.  They covered the GCP, LIE, driving in Manhattan, etc over the course of a few lessons and I remember the prices being reasonable. 

Can't remember the name off the top of my head but it's on the same side as McDonald's going towards 23rd Avenue

Offline ATB24

• Council Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 09:41:20 AM »
That's Zapiti auto school

Offline PJ

• Senator
  • AQ420 Team
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 03:58:18 PM »
That's Zapiti auto school

I also approve of Zapiti......the interaction with mr zapiti alone is worth it....he is classic
Astoria.....\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"A Shady Place For Shady People"\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\......So LOVE it OR LEAVE IT !!!!

Offline MarcelaPr

• Tourist
Driving school
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 08:10:36 AM »
Any one interested in using an all weather school for driving. Fun or competitions sure I can acomodate. Maidenhead Berkshire

Offline winter_rose

• Tourist
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 01:10:58 PM »
I'm also looking for recommendations for a good driving school.
There's not too many responses here and the thread is old, so I was hoping to see if anyone has any more recommendations.

Golden Star Driving School appears to have good reviews on Yelp, however most of the reviews are written by Yelpers who have only written 1-3 reviews, which is a little suspicious to me because that could indicate sock puppet accounts.

Offline SVal9000

• Tourist
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 05:22:59 PM »
Yes, I've gone back to Zapiti for a refresher twice already. I like them.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life