relax

Author Topic: Fresh Direct treats Queens to a free delivery  (Read 2881 times)

Offline MandaT

• Mayor
  • My ride.
Fresh Direct treats Queens to a free delivery
« on: August 01, 2006, 12:19:13 AM »
Did anyone else get this e-mail, or read this today? That was nice of them, no?

"Dear Neighbor,

I know that many of our Queens customers went without power for quite some time, and I'd like to help make it a little easier to re-stock the fridge.

We'll give you free delivery on any Queens delivery order placed in the next 2 weeks. When you place your order, simply enter promo code QUEENSDEL at checkout and we'll automatically waive the delivery fee*. This offer is good for any single order delivered to Queens and expires on August 14, 2006.

Here's to a cooler end for the summer,

Steve Michaelson,
President FreshDirect.com

*Web orders only. May not be combined with any other promotional offer. Available in selected areas. Offer expires on August 14, 2006. Other restrictions may apply. "

Offline mirki2

• Senator
    • mirichronicles
Re: Fresh Direct treats Queens to a free delivery
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 06:47:52 AM »
that's a very nice gesture but

(1) you still have to spend $40 minimum to get delivery

(2) past experience from manhattan was gettings spoiled vegetables rather than fresh. they completely refunded me over the phone the first time but then it happened again another time.... not fun at all.

seek peace and pursue it.

asicliptus

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 10:01:05 AM »
Don't know about Fresh Fruit/Veggies as there is plenty of that to be found on the streets of Astoria, but for boxed foods and heavy liquid items, having FD deliver them to my door-step sure beats having to truge them on foot or in a 'granny-basket' a quarter-mile from the closest Grocery Store (Best Yet.) And with free shipping, that takes the cake!

Offline jayme

• Senator
  • friends of mine
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 10:17:59 AM »
I'm a fresh direct fan.  Have been using them in Manhattan and Astoria since the service started.  (Move to Astoria was actually dependant upon Fresh Direct delivery area!)  Generally find fruits and veg to be fresh and fine. 

Waiting untiil after the heatwave to stock up though.

cheers,
jayme
These are pigs.
See francis's friends for kitties.

Offline mirki2

• Senator
    • mirichronicles
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 11:42:56 AM »
I used Fresh Direct in Manhattan because it was the same price as the university-owned super market and the neighborhood bodegas.

But when I could go down to Fairways, I got a whole lot more groceries for the same amount of $$

The same goes for most of the grocery stores here in Astoria - I am happy say that I am more satisfied with the selection at Key Food on 30th than I ever was with Fresh Direct.

As for the healthier organic stuff, you have a better selection at Whole Foods and better prices at Trader Joe's. Schlep or no schlep, I still am thumbs down to fresh direct because my own cost benefit analysis.

Offline MandaT

• Mayor
  • My ride.
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 12:31:10 PM »
I didn't really mean for this to be a thumbs up or thumbs down on Fresh Direct. More like an FYI. Regardless of what you think about them, it's a nice gesture. And personally I only use Fresh Direct on the rare occasion when I feel like treating myself - and tend to find the fruit, veggies, plus meats, cheeses, and breads to be in fine form when they arrive... But for everyday shopping, yes, the local stores and bodegas are great.

Offline mirki2

• Senator
    • mirichronicles
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 12:49:33 PM »
and I didn't say it wasn't...
it's a great gesture
but not everyone in the community can afford fresh direct's prices
and so it would be even better if they would forgo the minimum purchase requirement
or offer special reduced prices...

nycatexas

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 12:53:16 PM »
We have wanted to try Fresh Direct but never have...may have to give this some thought. Amanda your avatar is so cute with that pretty kitty!!

flooz

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 12:59:15 PM »
i'm a big fan of fresh direct. i get everything cept my everyday produce which i like to touch and pick out myself from all the markets here. i don't see the prices being a huge difference with what the larger supermarkets charge so i'm ok with it. i figure my laziness isn't free!

but i maybe only order from them 4-5 times a year for a few big loads

Offline lanseaux

• Governor
  • Mexico
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 01:18:18 PM »
I like Fresh Direct, and have since before they delivered to Astoria - we used to drive down to Borden Ave. and pick up from them directly.  In the four years or so I've been using them, I have had problems with I think two orders, both of which were dealt with quickly and to my satisfaction.

I tend to order from them more in the winter, when I don't have CSA veggies and it's really cold out.  I find that the convenience of not having to spend the time shopping outweighs what is only arguably a slightly higher cost.  My biggest complaint is that they don't always carry as much organic stuff as I would like, but it's better than it used to be (come to think of it, I have the same complaint about Astoria supermarkets, so that's a wash).  I have been able to order from them even when my income has been quite low by selecting carefully.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 01:32:28 PM by lanseaux »

Aaronstory

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 01:26:14 PM »
and I didn't say it wasn't...
it's a great gesture
but not everyone in the community can afford fresh direct's prices
and so it would be even better if they would forgo the minimum purchase requirement
or offer special reduced prices...

Give me a break.

Offline jayme

• Senator
  • friends of mine
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 02:04:59 PM »
I didn't really mean for this to be a thumbs up or thumbs down on Fresh Direct. More like an FYI. Regardless of what you think about them, it's a nice gesture.

I think it's almost impossible to mention Fresh Direct and not get the thumbs up thumbs down debate -- people love it or don't.

I do think the gesture is nice though -- and great business strategy.  Theoretically Queens customers who lost power will be restocking in larger quantity than usual (bigger grocery bill!) and encouraging them to use Fresh Direct by waiving the fee seems neighborly but may be more strategic. 

cheers,
jayme
These are pigs.
See francis's friends for kitties.

Offline mirki2

• Senator
    • mirichronicles
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 02:39:06 PM »
Give me a break.

It's great and it's wonderful that Fresh Direct is forgoing the $5 delivery fee and it's a great marketing strategy for the middle class...

But true charity means true donation, simply put, and not $5 marketing gimmicks.

Astorians

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 02:39:06 PM »

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life