relax

Author Topic: Seeking advice about G&T programs  (Read 2051 times)

Offline mmcd267

• Tourist
Seeking advice about G&T programs
« on: April 05, 2014, 11:31:49 AM »
Hi! I'm moving to the Astoria area and I have a child entering kindergarten this fall.

Could any parents share any insights into the G&T programs at PS 122, PS 150, PS 166 and PS 85? (I know the district program at 85 is a new one.)

I'd love to hear thoughts about the quality of teaching, whether the kids are happy and engaged, whether the schools put too much pressure on the kids or pile on too much homework, and any thoughts about how the schools compare to each other.

Also, if anyone has any opinions on the likelihood of admission in kindergarten with a 98 on the G&T test, I'd be grateful! I've heard rumors that it's impossible to get into 122 with less than a 99.

Thank you!

Offline BoredTemp

• Running for Mayor
Re: Seeking advice about G&T programs
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 07:19:27 PM »
Welcome!

All the programs are very similar.  My daughter is at 150 and is very happy.  The program at 150 moves the kids ahead by a full grade in math, offers them chess in the second grade, and has a full complement of art, music and drama. 

I encourage you to tour all the schools and see which seems to be the best fit for you and your family.

Offline gargo

• Activist
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 11:46:52 AM »
The city wide G&T will start at PS17-Henry David Thoreau School, starting in Sept. the G & T kindergarten class at 85 now is the last one. I think 17 will be accepting 2 classes for kindergarten. Definitely go on the tours you will get a better feel for the schools.

Offline litza

• Activist
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 03:09:37 PM »
I heard a rumor that the departing citywide G&T at 85 was being replaced by a district program, but no confirmation - is that a done deal now?

Offline BoredTemp

• Running for Mayor
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 09:19:10 AM »
Litza - yes, the citywide program is definitely moving out of P.S. 85.

Another option for parents looking for an extra challenge to consider is dual language programs.  The one at 150 offers incredible enrichment - incorporating dance and music into the curriculum.

Offline litza

• Activist
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 10:25:18 AM »
Yes, I knew about 85's STEM program moving to PS17, but the OP said "the district program at 85 is a new one" and I'd also heard rumors that the extra space left by the vacating program would be replaced by a district-level G&T program (like 122's). Just wondering whether there was any more information about that!

Offline BoredTemp

• Running for Mayor
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 12:32:51 PM »
For those interested, P.S. 150 has posted some additional information about their G&T program online:

http://ps150qpta.com/2014/04/08/the-gifted-talented-presentation/

Offline litza

• Activist
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 03:49:18 PM »
Sure enough, District 30 announced several new G&T classrooms today (depending on demand):

Q166 – Two kindergarten and two 1st grade classes (4 sections total)
Q150 – One kindergarten and one 1st grade class (2 sections total)
Q122 - One kindergarten and one 1st grade class (2 sections total)
Q085 – One kindergarten class (Districtwide, not STEM, 1 section total)

Offline LICsassy

• Tourist
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 08:51:28 AM »
Sure enough, District 30 announced several new G&T classrooms today (depending on demand):

Q166 – Two kindergarten and two 1st grade classes (4 sections total)
Q150 – One kindergarten and one 1st grade class (2 sections total)
Q122 - One kindergarten and one 1st grade class (2 sections total)
Q085 – One kindergarten class (Districtwide, not STEM, 1 section total)

166 will have 2 new k
The 2 first grades will be filled up with their current 2k and 10 new first grade spots total (not 2 new first grades) :smiley:

We are at 166 and are very pleased so far. I was not a fan of 150 at all. I also know a handful of teachers and parents there and they have their gripes.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life