relax

Author Topic: Anyone get their power back?  (Read 5042 times)

Offline janelane

• Activist
Anyone get their power back?
« on: July 19, 2006, 09:52:05 PM »
We haven't yet.  We're on 34th ave and the 40's. 
"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others." - Christian D. Larson

Offline wasabisam

• Senator
  • Missing Astoria
Re: Anyone get their power back?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 09:55:44 PM »
Seems like we have, but we're crossing our fingers... We're on Ditmars close to 29th St.

Only time will tell. Very weird to be on the internet at home for the first time in a couple of days!
Chief Wiggum: Uh, no, you got the wrong number. This is 9-1... 2.
My vegan recipes blog

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 09:00:53 AM »
I'm back to about 70% this morning, though I don't know if it will hold.  Things are running at low power, but my internet and computer are up again.  I'm too scared I'll blow a fuse to try the AC.

Offline goldfish boy

• Governor
  • These cookie-shaped objects taste like cookies!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 09:26:54 AM »
OK, this happen to anyone?  Half of our outlets have no power (or at least not enough to power anything), and half have full power.  On Tuesday everything was basically dim-and-dimmer, but I came home last night to find this: no power in some things and full power in others.

Conveniently  :x , the working outlets are on my roommate's "side" of the apartment (his bedroom, the kitchen, the bathroom) while "my" side (my bedroom, living room, "office") are completely without power except my overhead light in my bedroom. 

So my roommate lent me a fan that we plugged into the bathroom socket with three extension cords (not safe), while he watched some TV then went to bed in air-conditioned comfort.  GRRRRRRR!!!

(the worse, maybe worst, part was my alarm clock doesn't have power so it was anyone's guess whether I'd wake up this morning....)

Is this happening to anyone else--"selective" power?  (It doesn't seem to be a circuit-breaker thing--we checked.)  More confusing, half the outlets in the kitchen have power and half don't.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Seuss

Offline Harlan

• Governor
  • Lemon Pistachios
    • Photos...
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 09:31:29 AM »
That doesn't make any sense at all, GFB! Usually an apartment will get a single supply line, which then goes to the breaker box and gets split up into a bunch of smaller, fused circuits. ConEd couldn't disable half the circuits if it tried! Maybe you have two lines coming into your apartment, an old one and a new one, from different transformers on the street? That would be weird, but it's the only possible explanation...

Offline Jtrane

• Governor
    • http://www.joshirvingjazz.com
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 09:38:55 AM »
I have the same situation.  Some have a little power, some none.
Trying is the first step to failure - Homer Simpson
www.joshirvingjazz.com
www.myspace.com/joshirving

Offline urrisgirl

• Senator
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 09:42:09 AM »
OK, this happen to anyone?  Half of our outlets have no power (or at least not enough to power anything), and half have full power.  On Tuesday everything was basically dim-and-dimmer, but I came home last night to find this: no power in some things and full power in others.

Conveniently  :x , the working outlets are on my roommate's "side" of the apartment (his bedroom, the kitchen, the bathroom) while "my" side (my bedroom, living room, "office") are completely without power except my overhead light in my bedroom. 

So my roommate lent me a fan that we plugged into the bathroom socket with three extension cords (not safe), while he watched some TV then went to bed in air-conditioned comfort.  GRRRRRRR!!!

(the worse, maybe worst, part was my alarm clock doesn't have power so it was anyone's guess whether I'd wake up this morning....)

Is this happening to anyone else--"selective" power?  (It doesn't seem to be a circuit-breaker thing--we checked.)  More confusing, half the outlets in the kitchen have power and half don't.

A friend of mine was just complaining about the same thing. His roomates room has power in one light socket and everything else in the house is not working??? Very bizarre.

Aaronstory

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 09:55:42 AM »
This is what happens when one or two family homes are turned into apartments for 30 people...  :wink:

Offline ThePinkSuperhero

• Activist
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 09:56:20 AM »
I have selective power, too- the lights in my bathroom work to almost full power, but pretty much everything else is down.

(Astoria Blvd and Steinway)

Offline Jtrane

• Governor
    • http://www.joshirvingjazz.com
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 09:58:51 AM »
Just saw the online video on fox 5's website.  The spokesman from con ed said 6 out of the 10 feeders has been repaired.  That's about 1.5/day.  Not very good odds for the weekend.
Trying is the first step to failure - Homer Simpson
www.joshirvingjazz.com
www.myspace.com/joshirving

florestan

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 10:19:36 AM »
We're the same--a large apartment building on the corner of 21st and 31st, and some of the apartment is completely powerless, while other outlets seem to be at half-power. This isn't just from room to room, either: the outlets on one side of a room will work, while the others don't. Very strange.

Offline Midsummer

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2006, 10:34:00 AM »
Zero power in my building (48th St/30 Ave) as of this morning. I saw a massive electrical fire shooting green flames out of a manhole outside the 48th St. exit at 46th St. station last night. A small crowd had gathered to watch. Then, two blocks north, saw several Con Ed crewmen working hard (this was after 9 p.m.). The neighbors told me one of the Con Ed guys said it would be 5 days before we get power back. I will definitely be filling out one of those food reinbursement forms.

Offline firelight79

• Running for Governor
    • Fan Firelight Jewelry & Designs on Facebook!
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2006, 12:30:58 PM »
john has this problem in sunnyside. only its his room that has the power so he has all his fish tank stuff running across the apartment to his room with the power(or else he will have fish soup). the way he explained it was that there are 2 phases of power. phase one and two, some apartments operate using both phases, as is the case with his apartment and only one phase is down.
apparantly queens blvd is really bad. lights out everywhere (and they have the huge proper apartment building with 6 stories and at least 6 units on each floor...johns building has two wings with that sort of set up). my apartment is ok. the occasional flucuation so i only have 4-5 things running-AC(the apartment gets no outside air from any windows at any time of the year) my satellite reciever, my TV, the fridge and the phone. and i wont use the phone. if i am not using it, it's unplugged. if i need it, like a quick dinner in the microwave i'll plug it in. a bit dramatic since we haven't actually lost power, just voltage. needless to say, i won't be making my regular thursday trip to sunnyside.
at least my commute this morning was half an hour, unlike an hour and a half both ways last night.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2006, 12:33:03 PM »
The trains did seem better this morning, and I heard they're all working again, but they still don't have AC (which really helps in this heat). 

Offline enigmacat

• Governor
  • I am not a minion of evil. I am upper management.
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2006, 12:36:34 PM »
My commute was fine and it didn't seem too hot - not outside and not in the train.

The "W" train even ran :)

Astorians

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2006, 12:36:34 PM »

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life