relax

Author Topic: Power: Who has it, who doesn't?  (Read 16125 times)

Offline windowsrefund

• Citizen
Power: Who has it, who doesn't?
« on: July 19, 2006, 01:39:35 PM »
As of noon today, no power on 23rd Ave and 41st street.

JustDesserts

Re: Power: Who has it, who doesn't?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 01:40:54 PM »
Doing fine at 35th St and 36th Ave.  But we have no a/c, so I wonder if that makes a difference.

Offline SpecialK

• Running for Mayor
    • 35th And Kaufman
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 01:42:04 PM »
35th Avenue has seen some blips and reduced voltage, but no complete outages yet (knock on wood).    

Offline Cannibal

• Mayor
  • This bear won't let the snow stop him!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 01:52:57 PM »
34th St 'tween 35th & 36th Avenues (southern region) doing okay... Aircon is grinding slow... expect voltage burps as the day goes on...

- Cannibal
Con Ed apparently isn't on it...
If I can't walk there,
It doesn't exist.

Offline Gleason

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 01:54:28 PM »
Con Ed Urges
Business Customers
in Northwest Queens to
Immediately Turn Off All Electric Service

Due to continuing equipment problems in the Northwest Queens area, Con Edison is asking all of its business customers in that area of Queens to IMMEDIATELY discontinue their use of all electric service. The affected areas are Long Island City, Sunnyside, Woodside, Hunters Point and the Astoria neighborhoods of Queens. The affected area is bounded by the East River on the west and north, the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway on the east and Newtown Creek on the south.

LICBDC encourages you to share this important alert from Con Edison widely within the Queens business community, and to help by conserving electricity as they request.

Offline MTW

• Campaigning for Council
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 02:49:54 PM »
We have not had power since Monday around 3 PM.  Monday night was hell and we (me and my fiance and dog) figured if the electricity was not on yesterday evening afterwork, we'd find other arrangements.  Well, it was on slightly around 5:30 PM, but went completely out again at 11:30 PM.  And, it's still out today.  Just got off the phone with a really nice ConEd rep.  He said they've had meetings every few hours and are being told they cannot tell customers anything, except that they're working on it.  What really scared me though, was when he told me he couldn't even tell me what day it'd be fixed.  What day???? 

BTW, I live on 44th street between 30th and 31st ave -- the cables were on fire Monday.

Offline QuentinC

• Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 03:01:09 PM »
Hi all-

I am happy to find this great resource for Astorians.  My partner and I moved to Astoria a little over a year ago and are very happy here!  Just wanted to report that we live on 46th between 28th and 30th ave and had low low power until last night around 1 am when i watched my poor ceiling fan finally grind to a halt.  We are out still as are all the stores within a few blocks.  When I walked north and east this morning, I noticed fires in 2 different manholes being tended but electricty was working after 49th street or so.  My parnter also reported black smoke coming from below on Steinway and 28th ave... electriciy seems to work intermittently west of steinway on 30th ave...

Offline Midsummer

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 03:14:29 PM »
As of 9:45 a.m. today, little to no power on 30th Ave./48th St. Last night was miserable! Spotty power until around 1 a.m. then nothing. No AC all night -- yuck! This morning the microwave and alarm clock flickered a bit, then died again. Another night without any AC will be unbearable. Going to see if I can find a battery-powered fan anywhere.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 03:15:06 PM »
I'm at 34th and Broadway and have had very little power since Monday, not enough to run fans and the television at the same time, and the lights won't go on completely.  My boyfriend is down at 28th Street between 34th and 35th Avenues, however, and still has power, so some pockets of Astoria seem to still be running.  His power was reduced, but still running.

florestan

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 03:38:38 PM »
Hi everyone--
My partner and I live at the corner of 31st st. and 21st Ave, and we spent last night with almost no electricity--just enough to keep a lightbulb going at half strength. As of sometime this morning, we've had nothing at all. A Con Ed worker downstairs told one of the neighbors that there was no way of knowing when it'd all be restored, and could be out for several days. !!! Hardly what I want to hear, but seems par for the course when it comes to Con Ed.

[sigh]

Offline JustRachel

• Council Member
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 03:48:44 PM »
I guess it was good timing that I was out of the City for most of the past two days, but I returned to no power in my apartment at 21st Avenue and 24th street. Most of 21st Avenue, at least up to 31st street seemed to have no power (and we're the ones closest to the Con Ed plant, grr.) Lots of stores near the Ditmars N stop were closed, including the Starbucks and CVS.
"They said that Queens could stay" - Billy Joel

Offline megc

• President
  • Sea turtles need our help.
    • Harmonious Belly
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 03:52:49 PM »
I will say, thank goodness for this forum as a place to share information.  Love how my fellow astorians are looking out for the community at large!  We are all awesome.

Offline Jtrane

• Governor
    • http://www.joshirvingjazz.com
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 03:57:34 PM »
I will say, thank goodness for this forum as a place to share information.  Love how my fellow astorians are looking out for the community at large!  We are all awesome.

Agreed.  And I'm getting my internet fill while I can here at work, as all signs seem to indicate there won't be power for the next day or so, at the least.

Ugh...
Trying is the first step to failure - Homer Simpson
www.joshirvingjazz.com
www.myspace.com/joshirving

Offline GreenEyedGirl

• Activist
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 04:09:54 PM »
Our feed seems to be really low. I thought I was going blind until I realized the lights were just dim. We are at 30 St off of Broadway. The cops were going around with loudspeakers asking people to turn off non-essential appliances yesterday.  Not sure what's going on today. Seems like power is running full strength though.

Cary119

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 04:30:18 PM »
I'm at 31st and 29th St and still had all my power last night and this morning.

Astorians

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 04:30:18 PM »

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life