relax

Author Topic: Break  (Read 8185 times)

Offline SpecialK

• Running for Mayor
    • 35th And Kaufman
Break
« on: July 16, 2006, 10:47:49 PM »
Anybody else been to this pool hall on Broadway between 32nd and 33rd?  I made a second visit tonight and thought I should point it out for those of you who aren't aware of it.

Because it was previously a club (I forget the name of it - Clic?) the decor is hip and amazing - walls that change color, stone-tiled bathrooms, etc.  Only now the place has been turned into a giant wall-to-wall game hall, with over a dozen pool tables, ping pong, darts, etc.

Drinks are reasonable, ranging from beers starting at $3.50 for an off-night, and up to $10 or so for a cocktail.  They provide food from one of the cafes downstairs, though I didn't catch which one, and you rent the tables by the hour.

After time spent waiting for and hogging pool tables in crowded bars in Manhattan, this one is a nice change - every time I've been there it's been fairly laid back, spacious, uncrowded, and with a friendly staff. 

Not sure if people even realize this little gem is up there, but it's definitely something else to make our neighborhood unique!  I highly recommend it - it also might be fun for a group outing sometime.

Offline Harlan

• Governor
  • Lemon Pistachios
    • Photos...
Re: Break
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 11:08:27 PM »
ping pong

That's all you need to say.   :mrgreen:

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 07:22:30 AM »
Even before Break was Clic, it was a pool hall.  Same beautiful space.  It's been the same place yet seems to be exchanging owners, management, or names/decor every once in a while.  It is nice there.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 07:34:45 AM by daisy »

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 07:33:45 AM »
It never seems to have lines out on the street - I went there a few times when it was Clic (they had gay nights on Tuesdays) and it was always nice, very good space, but they don't seem to know how to market it.  I wonder who the owners are and if they are the same group that owned Clic.

duluoz_cats

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 08:24:31 AM »
I did notice this place when I walked by the other day ... glad someone posted about it. A group pool/ping pong/darts outing is long overdue ...  :lol: Would totally be up for doing this sometime.

Offline SpecialK

• Running for Mayor
    • 35th And Kaufman
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 09:32:49 AM »
nice, very good space, but they don't seem to know how to market

Completely agree.  I would never have known it was there on my own, and it's a great place for a night out in the neighborhood.  I've never seen it crowded (though I've never been there on a Saturday night).

The ping pong looks fun - it's behind a big metal curtain so the flying balls don't interfere with anyone's pool game.  I haven't tried it myself but I have noticed lines over there...

Offline Jonathan

• Senator
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 07:32:44 AM »

The ping pong looks fun - it's behind a big metal curtain so the flying balls don't interfere with anyone's pool game.  I haven't tried it myself but I have noticed lines over there...

Sounds like death cage ping pong.

Lets go!

Offline Jtrane

• Governor
    • http://www.joshirvingjazz.com
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 09:26:09 AM »
I've been there a couple times.  It's fun.  The pool tables are nice, they play decent music a lot of the time, and it's reasonably priced for pool.
Trying is the first step to failure - Homer Simpson
www.joshirvingjazz.com
www.myspace.com/joshirving

Offline MandaT

• Mayor
  • My ride.
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 10:58:33 PM »
Whee! I love pool. One of those games you can completely suck at and still have loads of fun playing (at least for me). I'm in if we do a games outing. Can't believe that place is just down the street from me and I've never noticed it. Although most of the walking I do on Broadway is between 36th and Steinway...

Offline JustRachel

• Council Member
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 10:46:10 AM »
Whee! I love pool. One of those games you can completely suck at and still have loads of fun playing (at least for me).

That's encouraging! I'm a little ashamed of my complete lack of pool skills. Maybe I should stop by Break and pick some up. Though I'm REALLY a novice; I can't even hold a pool cue properly.

I do love ping pong though. I take no prisoners in ping pong  :-)
"They said that Queens could stay" - Billy Joel

msitch

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2006, 11:25:46 AM »
This may seem odd, but they also have awesome hand dryers in the bathroom.  They are like jet engines.

Offline SpecialK

• Running for Mayor
    • 35th And Kaufman
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2006, 12:05:39 PM »
Oh yeah!  The hand dryers!  No idea how safe they are (it's a little gruesome to watch), but it's one heck of a sensory experience. 

futility

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2006, 11:18:42 PM »
About 5 years ago, even before it was CLiC I think, I saw a dude punch out a lady there (well, on the sidewalk in front.)  She literally hit the sidewalk and nobody helped her, they all went back upstairs and then finally her friend came and helped her up.  I was amazed, I'd never seen anything like that before.

Offline daisy

• President
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2006, 04:24:12 PM »
Was just looking thru old coupon books - i have 4 Buy one get one free coupons for pool/ping pong at Break.  Would anyone want to do this the week of the 14th?  Before they expire on the 23rd?

Handyman

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2006, 04:35:02 PM »
What's up with the darts??   Are they traditional dartboards, or the crappy electronic ones??

Astorians

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2006, 04:35:02 PM »

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life