relax

Author Topic: Social media  (Read 1976 times)

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
Social media
« on: October 11, 2013, 11:32:58 AM »
In addition to Astorians.com - which has been awesome for years, though we do need to get some renewed energy injected, what other social media platforms do you use?
Who here is on Twitter?
Do you Facebook?
Do you use Instagram?
Tumblr?
Anyone sign up with Nextdoor yet?
Eager to hear what platforms people use.  I'm pretty addicted to Twitter and Facebook myself (mcdirk on all platforms).
Chime in and let's have a discussion?

Offline Philo-Junius

• Mayor
  • Just the tip.
Re: Social media
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 11:39:06 AM »
I use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Google + (reluctantly).

NYCAviation on all. (Identitiy exposed! haha)
Do you like Huey Lewis and The News?

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 12:15:46 PM »
I've been experimenting with Google+ - still not quite getting it, though it is growing on me.

Offline Philo-Junius

• Mayor
  • Just the tip.
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 11:49:14 AM »
I'm only interested in Google+ for my website, because since it is Google, they respond well to posted content in search engines. On a personal level my interest in it is zero.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 01:04:36 PM »
That's what I hear as well - I was at a training where they said post all of of your content from Facebook and Twitter to Google+ and it will help your SEO, even if no one really reads it.  Still not sure if that's what to do though.

Offline Philo-Junius

• Mayor
  • Just the tip.
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 07:17:44 AM »
If it's for professional purposes, I would say do it.

Offline PJ

• Senator
  • AQ420 Team
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 01:46:54 PM »
I only use one or 2 forums but am anti the other social medias mentioned above - anyone else anti social media besides forums?
Astoria.....\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"A Shady Place For Shady People"\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\......So LOVE it OR LEAVE IT !!!!

Offline essen

• Running for Governor
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 03:13:25 PM »
Nah, PJ, you're not the only one.

Offline Isthmus

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 11:51:50 AM »
Google+ is by far my favorite social media site.  I find it to be better organized, more responsive and much more informative than just about any other site out there.  That plus I love how it is deeply tied into all manner of Google Services that I use, both on my computers and my phone.  Unlike other sites, using G+, to me, is actually practical in a very real every day sort of way, as opposed to it just being I go to chat.  For example, If I take a picture on my smartphone, it automatically gets backed up to my G+ account.  I can then pull it up on Google Drive and invite up to 10 people from my cricles to hangout (by video or writing) and collaborate together editing the photo and/or creating a document around it.  Assuming I was creating a review of a place, I could then upload that review directly to G+ Local, right from Drive and see that reviw and pictures uploaded directly to the relevant place on Google Maps.  That was just one example of some of the ways G+ is interconnected with most of Google's products and services and Why It is actually useful.

Another thing I love about the service is that, it is set up to follow topics and people who interest you, very much like Twitter, but unlike twitter, there is no limit on how much you can write, so instead of short sentences, what you get are full articles and often deep discussions from people who are actually informed and interested in a topic.

Lastly G+ has all the features that separate media sites have, already built in, such as videos (through youtube, pictures, editing tools, etc.)

I also use Facebook, but that is mainly leftover from when it was my go to social media site and because that's where many of the old folks in my family remain.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life