relax

Author Topic: Dry Cleaners  (Read 1966 times)

Offline Philo-Junius

• Mayor
  • Just the tip.
Dry Cleaners
« on: September 23, 2013, 11:13:06 AM »
Any good Dry Cleaners around?

To me, the variables are quality of the dry cleaning itself, price, and time to complete (in that order).

I've been using Super Joe's on 30th Ave and 46th Street. They get the job done at a fair price and offer a little discount if you pay up front.

I tried Lost Sock's dry cleaning service, but whichever company they use staples the tags to the shirt itself...literally damaging the shirt. How do they think that's ok? Super Joe's place feeds the tag through the button hole.

The best ever was Jonel on 36th Ave between 29th and 30th Streets, but they closed down like two years ago I think.
Do you like Huey Lewis and The News?

Offline Ntrain

• Mayor
Re: Dry Cleaners
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 05:05:30 PM »
I highly recommend Minerva on Broadway between 29th and 30th St.  Very efficient, good job cleaning, and reasonable prices.

Offline nocleverusername

• Citizen
  • Enter Mosotros
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 09:43:06 AM »
Do you pay for a laundered shirt even if a small (but noticeable 'cause the shirt is white) stain of unknown origin doesn't come out?

My ex-dry cleaner on 23rd Ave insisted that one does and charged my bf.

I had just quite smoking (again) or something so when I heard how he was charged $3.50 (this was for 2-day service) I decided that before I contact the local media outlets to shame the cleaners into returning the $3.50, I'd go down there myself and try to get it back. I was not going to let this injustice go...

An argument ensued. There was a lot of yelling. Something about needing more time for "tough stains". I countered with, "don't take my money  to clean a shirt in 2-days if you think the stains are too tough to get out in 2-days".

This went on for a little while. Longer than I had anticipated for sure. We weren't new to this place. The guy behind the counter recognized us enough to know who was who when we picked up our dry-cleaning, even if it was in the others name. So I never imagined he'd argue with me over $3.50. Plus I thought I was right, so I wasn't going to back down either.

Finally, another customer walked in. Yelling continued for a few more seconds until the guy behind the counter just gave me back $3.50 and I casually walked out vowing never to return again.

When I got home I scrubbed out the stain with a toothbrush and some Zout.

Offline nocleverusername

• Citizen
  • Enter Mosotros
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 09:46:03 AM »
Slash why is this in the Restaurants & Food thread? I totally came here to read about restaurants and got side tracked when I saw this posting about dry cleaners and the memories just came rushing to the surface again.

Offline AJTNYC

• Global Moderator
  • Running for President
  • Plays well with others...
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 10:57:56 AM »
Slash why is this in the Restaurants & Food thread? I totally came here to read about restaurants and got side tracked when I saw this posting about dry cleaners and the memories just came rushing to the surface again.
Whoopsie!  Moving thread....

Offline StephanieL

• Running for Senate
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 01:53:36 PM »
I highly recommend Minerva on Broadway between 29th and 30th St.  Very efficient, good job cleaning, and reasonable prices.

I second them.

Offline astoriacoffee

• Resident
    • Astoria Coffee
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 07:04:21 PM »
We've been going to Rim's on 30th Ave between 36/37 for a while now without complaint.

Offline Philo-Junius

• Mayor
  • Just the tip.
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 11:50:30 AM »
I had tried Lost Sock's service and wasn't pleased....Super Joe's got out stains in a shirt that Lost Sock couldn't, and they did so without stapling my shirt.

Do you like Huey Lewis and The News?

Offline ladydi

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 01:52:36 PM »
I've used Minerva for about 15 years. I've been pleased with the service and their prices/hours are good.
You sometimes have to remind them for certain things though. I like my trousers creased and always have
to remind them of that. They also take 10% off your total if you pay cash in advance; 15% off leather items.

Offline FoxyWiles

• Council Member
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 04:14:16 PM »
Do any of those places do suede or do I have to go a specialized shop? I got some pen marks on a rad, but deeply discounted coat I've had for years.

Offline StephanieL

• Running for Senate
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 12:53:41 PM »
Do any of those places do suede or do I have to go a specialized shop? I got some pen marks on a rad, but deeply discounted coat I've had for years.

I would try to find a cleaners that specializes in leather and suede.  Your average dry cleaner isn't really set up to handle those fabrics.

Offline mcdirk

• Global Moderator
  • President
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 11:57:38 AM »
I've used World Cleaners on Broadway and City Cleaners also on Broadway.  Both have been reliable.  City Cleaners has a nicer owner and is a block closer, so it's my main go-to place, though World Cleaners does better alterations and repairs.

Visit our sister site Jackson Heights Life